katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2020 :  4:18:42 PM  Show Profile
I ran into town today, primarily to hit the P.O.
I had a bundle of mailers and packages to have 'stamped' and mailed...
On one of the small padded envelopes, I had forgotten to write in the recipient's zip code... The counter clerk pointed out there was no Z.C.,,, I asked if she had a Zip Code directory, to which she said No.. I commented, P.O.'s use to have them on the counter for customers to access... The clerk said, 'everything is automated' and they no longer use the directories... I asked if she could look up the zip, ... No, was her reply, and repeated that everything is automated,, and she can't access zip code info.

SERIOUSLY????..

So when they (clerk)type in the town and zip for the mailing postage label, there is no default if the zip doesn't match the name of the town... Nope, according to the clerk,,. this explains why a package that was sent to me, via Priority, took almost 2 1/2 months to get to me,, the sender wrote in 99004 instead of 99001.. it got to 'somewhere' where it was re-processed and someone wrote over the 4 with a 6... where it once again got processed who knows where.. then it landed some where and someone took the time to underline with a felt marker pen, the name of the our town, and also wrote the correct zip code..
If the first wrong destination had just sent the package back to the sender, she could have made the correction and re-shipped it,, all with in less then 2 weeks time,, but nope,, it floated in postal cyberspace for 2 1/2 months...

But Wait,, there is more!
My dearest friend had sent a small birthday gift for my hubby back in early June... last week it was returned to her,, with a notation stamped on it (USA) that the 'recipient refused the package'.. Oh My Gosh! the package must have been hand delivered to the/a wrong address,, and the person told the delivery person it was not for them... or?
Mind you,, we have Contract carriers, not Postal workers... so the package was sent back to Germany...

Oh My Stars! does no one take pride in the work anymore?

I am now getting down off my Soap Box and going to pour myself a big glass of wine... anyone care to join me???

So, dear friends, if I gently nudge you to see if you have received a package from me, please do not feel offended,, I just don't have a lot of faith in our Postal Service much these days..

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jul 22 2020 4:22:18 PM

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2020 :  5:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Was the first problem you mentioned from me? I think I did that once, too.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2020 :  5:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Our girls look it up for us and they are all computerized now.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2020 :  5:43:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, that is so sad! I have never come across that situation, but that is so sad that she wasn't willing to help you. While working in an office setting all my working days, my motto was it would take just as much time to help someone then to arguing with them.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz

Edited by - janamarieje on Jul 22 2020 7:05:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6395 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6395 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2020 :  6:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh, that is just crazy Grace. If the PO can not look up the zip code for you why the heck are they there. Jeez!!
Yes, ma’am I am having a glass of wine with you. Proste.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2020 :  7:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
My previous PO gals would look it up for me. They also hand stamped for me. I really miss them. I'm not so sure about the PO here; they aren't as friendly.

It is silly that they couldn't look it up for you.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2020 :  9:41:06 PM  Show Profile
Linda, nope, it wasn't you...

I am disappointed that the clerk would not bother,, and I was the only person in there... so it was not like she had a huge line of customers waiting,,, and Jana,, I agree with you...
Debbie, better hurry over,, the bottle is almost empty! lol!

The town is a population of 6,000... and the P.O. is small,, it's not like there is a line out the door at Christmas time.. I am dismayed that she would not even make an effort, let alone tell me basically a fib... that because everything is computerized,, she could not look up the zip code.. oh sigh,, some people are need to take a look at themselves to see what others see... I could make a complaint, but with my luck, she might be the Postmaster at that small office...and then I'd never get my mail!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2020 :  04:34:47 AM  Show Profile
You got that spot on Grace. Seems people don't want to step up to help someone. The blinders are on and they can only do their job and cannot look the box. Small town post offices used to be able to get you the mail no matter how messed up the addresss was. Now, if there is a N instead of a W well they have no idea. And funny thing we have had the same rural mail carrier for 40 years.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2020 :  09:27:19 AM  Show Profile
Grace, this is so frustrating when packages get messed up due to one little detail missing. And then all the way back to Germany??? That is awful!! My solution to a lot of these niggly problems is to have an account on USPS. Just go to their website and set up an account. You can get all the information about mailing within the US and to another country. There is also a way to look up a zip code, or address under the mail link. You can also order stamps and supplies online and they will be delivered to your home in the mail. If you have a correct scale, you can do all mailing under Click and Ship and even arrange for a pickup at your house if you cannot go to the Post Office. Believe me, it has saved me so many headaches and frustrations because now I can do a lot of my mailing by handling it from my desk. Check out this site and look under all the tabs and see if it would help you. You can also download and print all the forms you need for international packages as well. It can work for you and help you mail everything from your mailbox or home. Good luck!! Then you can enjoy that glass of wine without the frustration!! LOL!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2020 :  10:38:24 AM  Show Profile
Winnie,,, lots of good advice...
I have a scale and use it to give me an idea of what is the best/cheapest way to send a package..
I normally carry my mini, frequently used address book with me, but go figure, on this occasion, I had switched handbags and did not transfer over my addy book.. and the Clerk was not about to go out of her way to help, to look up the zip code..

Years ago, this same lil P.O. had the same 4 guys running it.. and we all were on 1st name basis...I could call the office and ask if I had any mail in my box, and they would go check... but,, as with all good things, they slowly one by one retired.. And I realize,, it isn't always easy to stop what you are doing to go check someone's mail box even in a small town..

I don't mind using the on-line services... but when I am in the P.O., I expect courtesy, and a bit of assistance. Neither of which this clerk was willing to provide. FYI, she is always less then courteous. She appears to have a grudge on life and or her chosen job.

My daughter has an account with the USPS,, and I have had her print up stamped labels for me,, and in some cases I think she has been able to get me better prices.. but,, she usually does the Flat Rate mailings for her business.. and sometimes that is not the best way for me to ship.
Oh well,,, I am well stocked up on wine and stamps just in case... lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  4:52:30 PM  Show Profile
GRRRRRRR!!!
What is wrong with our post office???
SO I dashed in to send off a package,,, all prepared and ready,,, Flat rate box... our P.O. only allows 3 people in at a time...
There are 5 people, and 1 clerk... one guy at the counter and a 'couple' standing by the greeting cards, looking through the cards as they wait.
There are 2 separate ladies, each at the long counter about 2' apart... both are wrapping and stuffing their boxes to be mailed... one keeps changing her mind about which box to use...
The 1st man leaves (now there are 4 people) and the 'couple' step forward... after a few minutes they leave... so I walk in because now there are onlyt 2 people in the room... I ask both ladies,, "excuse me... are either of you ready to step to the counter?"... to which neither look at me,,, I look at the clerk to see if she motions me forward,,, she just stares at me.. so I again ask,, in a louder voice,, and only 1 lady responds back in a snippy voice... "NO".. at which point I shake my head and just proceed up to the counter.. The clerk never said a word,, Oh was I fuming... but I kept myself in check.. sort of.. I did say in an audible voice, 'So much for only 3 people inside at a time as posted on the door".. the clerk just stares at me.... I could have said more, but not worth getting into a confrontation...
BUT Shame on the clerk for just standing there like she was in a catatonic trance! She could have reminded the people, only 3 at a time in the room,,(there are big "X" on the floor as a reminder), and she could have suggested that the 2 separate ladies packaging their boxes to step out into the outer lobby and use the counters there so customers who are ready can step forward into the inner lobby.... but nope... I guess she doesn't get paid to think!
What ever happened to politeness and customer service???

Ok, rant over... Wine Wine Wine... NEED Wine!!!!

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Aug 05 2020 5:05:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  5:22:12 PM  Show Profile
Nope. Gracie... People seem to be so much more rude nowadays..more than ever... And so much less kind or helpful. I have dealt with a few different people over the phone these past few weeks and all but one was curt, rude, talked over me (presumably because they love the sound of their own voices)... They've outright lied to me about things instead of investigating or doing what they should, they have left me on the phone on hold til the line goes to a busy signal... I dont know how they keep their jobs, except for the fact that I am willing to bet they are working from home, unsupervised. It is the most frustrating, upsetting and infuriating thing. And let me assure you, I am super nice when dealing with everybody. I would never treat anyone poorly, especially someone to whom I am at their mercy for assistance. It's like the world is turning inside out and upside down.

And as far as the Post Office, twice last Christmas I waited in line far long before the time they closed for lunch. The first time, when it was my turn, I started walking up to the window and the woman looked away and just pulled down the security shade thingy. I was flabberghasted. There was still 16 minutes til they were closed til lunch, I was tge last oerson in line, and she didnt even give me the courtesy of addressing me. Another time I was there mid morning. The same exact thing happened to the guy in front of me. He just threw his package at the security shade and started yelling. I told him I was so sorry that happened to him, that they had done the same thing to me once...that they must be new or something. He just started screaming curses. I just walked away calmly. He scared the bejeebies out of me. But I totally understood where he was coming from. I go to the main office in the neighboring city now. I dont need that kind of treatment OR stress. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  6:12:35 PM  Show Profile
Now we understand why people "go postal"
Sad. What has happened to kindness and patience?
I hope it isn't gone forever.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  6:54:48 PM  Show Profile
Our local post office is supposed to send all mail to Cincinnati to be processed, even if its local mail. But with all the cutbacks the leadership has made, it takes a lot longer for things to get sent back to Brooksville, which makes bills overdue. So they are keeping some local bills, like water bills, and delivering them faster. Our postal workers have more mail to deliver, but are not allowed overtime to deliver it all.
I think I'll tape a note of appreciation to the inside of my mailbox. Because of them, I get wonderful Farmgirl mail!

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  10:05:41 PM  Show Profile
We do not have mail delivered by postal employees,,, because we are out in the country, we have contract deliverers... I have had coffee rings on magazines, other peoples mail in my box, and we had one gal who smoked like a chimney, and my packages reeked of smoke. saw her car broken down by the side of the road and right after that we had a different carrier... we never know who is delivering our mail because the contract people are always quitting, not to mention,,, unlike an employee,,, there is no back ground check. They put in a bid for a route and the lowest bid gets the job... and that is why I pay for a P.O. Box.. and they have been increasing the rental rate yearly..
Having a P.O. box isn't necessarily any better... I got into it with the clerk who was also the temporary Post Master at that office... I had purchased $100 worth of make-up from Younique Cosmetics... I got a notice(tracking) that my package had been delivered to my P.O. Box... and it was not there... long story short, the clerk remembered my package and admitted she tossed it to another clerk to put in my box...which it was not,, it went to someone else' box... Thank goodness I had been in contact with Younique and they were so nice and understanding,, and re-sent my purchase...
SO to say I am not to please with the US Postal System... well...... I am Not!
I know with all things being what they are,,, it is stressful for everyone.. but there is no excuse for being impolite.
If you are not happy with your job,,, make the change... but don't treat the customer like s/he is pain in the butt.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2020 :  07:45:47 AM  Show Profile
I am probably totally out of the loop, but did the USPO change? What you just said about your magazines just struck a chord with me, Grace. I have had subscriptions to three magazines for years. Last month I started receiving renewal forms, and have now received them for all three. I had mentioned to my hubby how odd that was. First my magazines were arriving open, torn, read.. Like you said, one came with mug rings. Then suddenly they stopped coming altogether. I honestly have been so busy, it never occured to me to see if the subscriptions were up when that happened! I just decided it wasn't worth renewing because of how they had been arriving. But truthfully, I thought I still had quite a while of time left on each, but I was just so busy. Now I'm wondering if maybe someone just kept them. Hmmm. Im going to have to go back and look at my check registers...not that I can do anything about it now.

Our service here has always been notorious for mail being delivered to the wrong address. Our local newspaper even featured a photo of one of our postmen sitting in the mail receptacle having a cigarette a few years back; but we see that all the time with a couple of the guys nowadays. One postal delivery guy always looks dissheveled like he has worn the same uniform for weeks on end unwashed, and Heaven forbid you happen to be outside when he approaches. One time he tried following me into the house when I was trying to part ways! I kid you not! He looked dejected when I told him goodbye and closed the door.

I feel bad saying all of this, tho. Postal workers really work extremely hard, and in a lot of ways, they are or at least one time truly were the bloodline that keeps/kept America connected. But the USPO is not what it used to be. My stepdad was a postman. When he was there, it was a ship-shape operation. They dressed sharp, they kept moving, they followed strict guidelines, they even put up with scary animals, carrying treats to keep them at bay. (My stepdad has some HILARIOUS stories about animal encounters, to be sure!) He took pride in his job and was a valued in the community. They all were. I still value our mailmen tremendously. And we still have a few delivery people in town who meet those criteria, but for the most part, we encounter a very different postal service from day to day.

To end on a positive note, though, my cousin's mailman is a treasure in blue. She is now recovering from leukemia, but when she was in the throes of it, he knew she was alone and kept an eye on her. If her mail was backed up in the box for a day or so, he would bring it to the door to check on her and make sure she was ok. If it was inclement weather, he always did the same. He always had a kind word for her, and always brightened her day. She always knew no matter what she was going through, she was never alone; her angel watched over her. He had her back. THAT man has extra large wings an a super shiny halo awaiting him in Heaven to be sure!

So I guess maybe all of the negative stuff we encounter is partly a result of changes they've made; but perhaps it goes even deeper than that. Perhaps it is the character of the individuals that make the real difference. God help those who need help straightenening out their earthly haloes; and God PLEASE send extra blessings to those whose haloes naturally shine!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 06 2020 07:48:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2020 :  9:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Nini, Thanks for bringing me back to.. Kindness... Yes, there are so many good postal workers who work 110%.. sadly we (me) only remember the not so good experience.. my bad!
>^..^<

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is it just me,, or??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page