ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2020 :  09:45:28 AM  Show Profile
Darlene (doctordor) had posted a knitting question in another thread and it made me think that perhaps we should have a knitting thread going to answer questions.

quote:
Originally posted by doctordar

Thank you, Carole! I first bought a set of the straight metal ones, but they were so slippery that the stitches kept coming off. So I bought the ones with the cords. I know it will take me some time to find the type that works best for me. I'll try out your suggestion to change the twist I use to see if that helps. I was looking on Amazon at the fixed cord needles. I was wondering if the metal ones would do what the original metal ones did. Perhaps with more practice these issues will resolve themselves. I so appreciate your help!

Dream - Believe - Manifest
She believed she could...so she did!
Farmgirl #7049

Darlene, if your stitches slip off, you might have too loose of a tension. I'm thinking that you are using double pointed needles. You can purchase stoppers for those ... or make one with thick foam.

Fix cables are great in that you will not be dealing with the unwinding of the cable. However, depending on the project you are working on, you will need the same size needles with different length cables. The only fixed cables I have are for 2.5mm as they do not make them interchangeable and I bought them with a 16" cable.

Not sure what brand needles you use ... I purchase my HiyaHiya knitting needles at this shop:

https://skeinshop.com/

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Jun 20 2020 09:53:42 AM

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2020 :  10:23:19 AM  Show Profile
This is true...you may end up with a certain size circular needle but in 5 different lengths!
You can get circular needles with the points made from different materials, like bamboo or wood. The bamboo isn't as slippery as metal and helps with keeping your stitches from sliding off.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

501 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
501 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2020 :  1:53:42 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for starting this thread! I am definitely following it and know where to go if I have questions when the time comes.

Darlene, thank you for the advice about the different styles you found on YouTube. The build off 4 method sounds interesting!

Farmgirl #6994

Sunshine Mixed With A Little Hurricane
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2020 :  08:48:05 AM  Show Profile
I finished this hat for a family member ... just in time for his birthday

The pattern is called Llama Una The Easy Ombre Slouch hat . It's a free pattern on Ravelry https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-easy-ombre-slouch-hat

I used the recommended yarn (Misarol) which is 100% baby alpaca and needle size 4mm... I do like how it turned out. I will say that the yarn is not so easy to work with. It is so soft and wonderful ... although wonderful qualities it makes it a tad challenging to knit. Thank goodness for circular needles. I don't think it would work well with double pointed needles.

Catch you all later!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Jun 22 2020 08:50:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2020 :  11:00:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh Carole, another gorgeous knitted that you made!! Love those colors and the style is perfect for easy and comfortable wear.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Jun 22 2020 11:00:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

MrsMath
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Jessie
Florida
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2020 :  2:08:04 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Carole! That is gorgeous!! I am just a beginner knitter, having only done dishcloths. Im trying to expect my skills with and have started Christmas stockings. EEK! Maybe if I start now, I'll get all five done before the holiday arrives. lol I love this thread!! <3

G>^V!! #Type1Mama
"When I am overwhelmed,lead me to the rock that is higher than I."
Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

501 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
501 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2020 :  2:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! That is absolutely gorgeous! <3 I would love to be able to make something like that someday.

Farmgirl #6994

Sunshine Mixed With A Little Hurricane
Go to Top of Page

MrsMath
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Jessie
Florida
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2020 :  3:17:19 PM  Show Profile
I hope it is okay if I ask a knitting question too. I am pretty new to it, but my yarn keeps unraveling, like the plys are coming apart. Do you have an inexpensive type of yarn that you prefer to work with? Im knitting Christmas stocking and its a hot mess! lol

G>^V!! #Type1Mama
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2020 :  3:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Jessie, try wrapping the yarn around the needle in the opposite way that you are now doing. I don't know how to explain what to do without showing it. Try asking the question on the internet.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

MrsMath
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Jessie
Florida
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2020 :  4:26:25 PM  Show Profile
thanks Marie! Ill see what I can find. :)

G>^V!! #Type1Mama
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2020 :  10:23:56 AM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone for your kind compliments on my hat.

Jessie, Did you start the yarn from the outside of the ball, or did you get the strand from the inside of the ball/skein? Just curious. You will get untwisting with loosely intertwined yarns. The key is to begin from same direction of the twist. Gosh, this is confusing ... I had to visualize for a moment LOL

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Jun 28 2020 10:24:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2020 :  10:26:49 AM  Show Profile
I'm really loving this thread. Thank you for participating. We can learn so much from each other.

When I posted a picture of the hat, I had not blocked it yet. I didn't know how I would go about doing it without owning a styrofoam head or a ball the same size as his head lol. The idea came to mind to stuff it with towels.

The top, nice and smooth ...

Hoping you find this helpful!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Jun 28 2020 10:28:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

MrsMath
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Jessie
Florida
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2020 :  7:57:43 PM  Show Profile
I pull from the outside. I'm using a cake. I think I've got the swing of it. My yarn must be too thin for the hooks I am using. I knitted the pattern before and should have kept going but o set it down a great while and started over. Now I'm just having no luck. It's so loopy

G>^V!! #Type1Mama
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2020 :  09:40:53 AM  Show Profile
Jessie, perhaps taking your start yarn from inside would help with the twist. Not all yarn are spun tightly. On the label, there should be a suggestion of the size of hook & needles. This will give you an idea if you are within the range. They are just guidelines.

Carole
Go to Top of Page

MrsMath
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Jessie
Florida
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2020 :  11:24:11 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Carole! My needles were way too big.i was using an 8 and the label says 4. Yikes!

G>^V!! #Type1Mama
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2020 :  11:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
This is an interesting thread; thanks to Carole for starting it.

Regarding the circular needles, I have a set of points of most normal sizes and one or two of the cable part that screw onto the points. I haven't knitted in a long time, so not sure what I have. I also have about 4 sets of most regular aluminum and nylon or plastic needles, because I have my mother's and my SIL's, and I have a few wooden needles for smaller scarf projects with ladder, eyelash, or ribbon yarns. I need to go through and get rid of some since I have so many.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017
Linda B
Terrell, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 17 2022 :  09:33:41 AM  Show Profile
It's been a busy year of knitting for me. I've started lots of projects and completed a few. I've been knitting with heritage breed yarns. I like the idea that I am creating with yarn from older breeds, those used by our ancestors. There's something about linking with the past that inspires me, feeds my soul.

I knitted this scarf/shawl, the pattern is called La Bise by L'Espace tricot and it is free on Ravelry. I just love l'Espace Tricot patterns, they are so well written. It needs to be blocked, my least favourite part of knitting ... Sigh!

The yarn I used is from Uradale Farms; 100% organic Shetland wool ethically sourced. The yarn is lovely and smells like real yarn should smell! lol

I've enjoyed working with this yarn. I guess you can say that my knitting is all about the sheep. I love sheep! lol

Cheers!

Carole
http:www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Edited by - ceridwen on May 17 2022 10:32:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - May 17 2022 :  5:21:33 PM  Show Profile
very nice project. I like kitting with wool yarn. I had 2 sheep for 13 years, so I have plenty of stock built up. Like you Carole, I like the smell of the real yarn. lol I like finding the free projects on ravelry too. Happy knitting.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1115 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1115 Posts

Posted - May 17 2022 :  5:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Michele so I guess you would spin your own yarn? I was so amazed when I saw this process at a Highland Fair, where they would grab a fist full of sheeps wool and pull, pinch, twist and spin into yarn. They made it look so easy, but of course that was years of experience we were watching. How satisfying that must be!!

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 18 2022 :  07:46:41 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for your comments.

Michelle, I have been toying with the idea of spinning my own yarn. On a serious note, I do not need another hobby! Well, that's what I keep telling myself. LOL

Cheers!

Carole
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 19 2022 :  06:56:54 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I finished knitting a Hap (some might call it a shawl but do not say that to the Shetland historians ) and blocked it. I had bought these thin wires designed just for that. I've never blocked a hap so this was a first.

Glad I had the thin wires otherwise it would have been a pin the crap out of it event. The wires are usually woven through the edge of the border. But, because I had a Picot pinecone edging (longest bind off in my life ... just saying lol ... it is pretty!) I wove the wire before the edging.

Voila! We have a fini!

The Hap is actually a blue colour. The pattern is called The Forest Path Hap by Patricia Fortune and is available on Ravelry. The pattern is very well written; easy to follow. I used Rauma Finull yarn from Norway.

Cheers!

Carole
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - May 19 2022 :  07:01:59 AM  Show Profile
Very pretty, Carole! I’ve seen those pins before and wondered how they would work. You’re right….it would have taken a LOT of pins!!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - May 19 2022 :  3:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Very beautiful Hap. I hope you enjoy wrapping up in it. I do spin my own yarn. I taught myself, so not sure if I do it right or wrong, but it holds together, even when ripping out. I need to find a knitting project, have not done that for a while.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 20 2022 :  07:02:43 AM  Show Profile
I love stitch markers ... especially if they have a story. One of my favourite marker was made with an earring. They were one of my favourite earrings and sadly I lost one. So, I turned the other one into a stitch marker.

A couple of years ago, my daughter and I went on a weekend trip to Salem Massachusetts and I fell in loved this charm. I am not a charm bracelet wearer but decided I would turn it into a stitch marker. It brings up fond memories.

Both of those I use as Beginning of row (BOR) markers. For me, they are too bulky for raglan increase markers etc.

For socks, I like a small marker and found these in a yarn shop in Montreal. They immediately spoke to me. You see, since the start of Covid, these three letters together have become one of my favourite letters .. LOL

Do you have a favourite stitch marker that you like to use?

Carole
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 20 2022 :  07:09:02 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, thank you for your comment. Wow, you spin your own yarn ... amazing ... As I've mentioned it's something that's been on my mind. On a serious note, I do not need another hobby. Well, that's what I keep telling myself! lol Do you spin on a wheel?

One of my favourite yarn Shop is The Woolly Thistly and one of the gals there spins her own yarn. She had a clip on youtube of her spinning. It looked so relaxing.

Cheers!

Carole
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - May 21 2022 :  5:26:19 PM  Show Profile
Love the fancy stitch markers. Great ideas. I do spin on a wheel. I have alot of wool that needs spinning. It is all washed and carded. We have been remodeling/fixing our house, so alot of my crafts are sitting and waiting. I really like to weave too. I have a rigid heddle loom.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page