katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - May 05 2020 :  4:06:44 PM  Show Profile
We drove by the High School in Medical Lake, where we live,, and it was wonderful to see how the school honored the Senior graduating class...

the school hung photos of each Senior on all then fencing around the school...

What a wonderful thing to do..

This will be the Silent Class of 2020...
No Year Books,, no championship sports, no Proms,, no Graduating Ceremony, and No Grad Night festivities...
The halls are quiet,,, only a few memories,,, but they certainly will have something to talk about when they meet up for their 10 year reunion...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  07:54:19 AM  Show Profile
Sad for these seniors---but also great and this will be a graduation to remember and tell their kids about for sure. So sad though. Although it would have suited me because I was like Darlene on Rosanne----LOL! But oh--- I really do feel for them. All that school and no senior fun.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  08:17:04 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I agree with you on the class of 2020 right of passage traditions like spring sport playoff and champion games, prom, walking the stage graduation and grad nite, but yearbook has been in production all year capturing 6 to 7 months and was probably headed to print by the time of school closure. What I feel bad for the students will be the traditional signing of the yearbooks the last few days of school. They can always get their friends to sign but they won't be able to get their teachers and coaches to sign their books. The graduates and their families won't even have the ticket or graduation program to hold and save.

And let us not forget the college and university graduates, four years of hard work without their graduation traditions. Yes, there are online graduations, but it won't be the same as wearing your cap and gown, receiving your diploma from the chancellor, and moving your tassel from the right side to the left. So, so sad, and we as parents and community need to find special ways to honor and make memories for our seniors, like photos on the school fences.

I wonder how they are handling those valedictorians and salutatorians?

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  11:41:58 AM  Show Profile
Jana.. true about the year books,, thinking back,, we took our Senior photos during summer break befor school started for our Senior year..
Yes,, those Rights of Passages,, will never be for the Class of 2020...
but,, then hubby and I were talking last night and I told him, how my mom who was about 11 years old near the end of WW11, and prior to that,, living in a town that had been bombed down to the ground twice,, they were lucky for the days when the children were able to go to a makeshift school building for class.. I can't even imagine sending my child off to class each day,, and not knowing if there would be another air raid.. Thank goodness,,, our kids are not living under those conditions.

I am so happy the School is doing what they can to give these Seniors a bit of recognition... and I hope schools across the Nation are doing likewise.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  12:25:47 PM  Show Profile
Grace...I Love what Medical Lake Did!! Awesomeness!! I have seen some other events posted on the News that have really and truly touched
my heart. I do feel bad for these Graduates of 2020 in some ways...as we in the U.S. are big on our traditions. But they will have one of the most
unique stories to share. We all handle adversities differently...but it is like 9/11 many beautiful and wonderful stories came out of a Great Adversity.
And these kids will see and share their own Wonderful Stories. What doesn't Kill Us Makes Us STronger!!!

Love, Hugs, and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  1:25:48 PM  Show Profile
It’s so sad to see that the seniors don’t get to experience those huge accomplishments and exciting activities, but I’m glad they are still making a way to celebrate them the best we can. I still hope that they will honor them later in the year with a graduation then. Maybe even a prom and such.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  1:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Grace, thanks for sharing what Medical Lake school is doing to honor their Grads! It is such a great way to bring all of the students, families and community together in some celebrating since the regular traditions are not happening. I hope our local high schools can do something creative like your community for our local grads, which will happen at the end of the month.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 14 2020 :  5:44:36 PM  Show Profile
It is just breaking my heart for my daughter. Senior year was supposed to be a great one - and it has been awful. We will pick up yearbooks next week. They gave us checks in the mail for. Refunds for the spring supplement - no prom, no senior trip. She has missed so much. It makes me so sad for her.

I am glad she did get to attend prom last year with her boyfriend who was a senior class o 2019. We have her prom dress, with tags, hanging in the closet ...so much disappointment.

Sigh,.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 28 2020 :  04:48:12 AM  Show Profile
Soooo, I had an idea for our neighborhood graduates. Here is how it came out:

http://www.farmgirlbloggers.com/17780#more-17780

It helped the “sting” of what they have missed a bit, and really uplifted the spirits!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - May 28 2020 :  11:51:04 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful! That will probably be more memorable than the "normal" things would be..When i graduated we just had graduation -- no trips, etc.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic High School Graduation... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page