True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2020 :  07:30:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is doing okay and staying busy. I haven't been around much at all anywhere online. I do read some posts. The issue is I don't sit much. I've been busy preparing for our move, packing, gathering information, researching, etc. I think it will be by the end of October. Once my husband retires in October, we are fleeing long island and finally are going to buy our own home. We've always rented.

There are boxes stacked everywhere. This place is a mess. I'm trying to decide when is the best time to actually pick a house and get the process going. I would like to time it with his retirement. From what I've read it could take 60-90 days? What has been everyone else's experience?

I'm not sure where we are going yet though we seem to be leaning towards saratoga or washington county ny. We did consider NC, PA and then TN. Trying to avoid high taxes.

When I read your posts about canning, I get jealous. I'm holding off on anymore canning until we are moved and settled. I daydream about my new pantry filled with canned goodies from my garden, the new greenhouse I'll have and the outdoor kitchen I plan on setting up. I just can't wait!

Connie

Vintage Sewing Machines, Original Parts & Related Book Titles - http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Handcrafted Artisan Soap https://www.etsy.com/shop/naturemaiden

Lil' Chefs Cookbook- Delicious Recipes for Toy Ovens - http://www.vintage-toy-ovens.com/

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6824 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6824 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2020 :  07:59:24 AM  Show Profile
Connie I am so happy for you. There's something about having a plan and working toward it that is so exciting. For now - happy packing & dreaming of your new place.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4726 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4726 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2020 :  08:50:08 AM  Show Profile
Best of luck to you and your husband on your new exciting adventure. Living out of a box can be frustrating, but it will be worth it in the end when you do find your forever home!

Dawn in IL

Bloom, where you are planted.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9265 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9265 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2020 :  09:19:10 AM  Show Profile
Connie,
If you are trying to avoid high taxes then I wouldn't suggest Saratoga County in NY. I was born and raised there and the taxes are high. In fact everything is high!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6750 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6750 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2020 :  10:47:33 AM  Show Profile
Connie, we just bought our house a few months ago. The actual process from the time we put our offer in to the time we moved in was about a month. Finding the house to buy is unpredictable. You could search for months to find the perfect house or you could find it in a week. That’s the hard part. Our first house took us over a month to find. This house we found After about 3 months. Good luck! I hope it’s smooth for you!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2020 :  10:53:02 AM  Show Profile
Connie, what a wonderful plan to look forward to this Fall!! I know you are excited to open a new chapter of your life with retirement and having your own home. Best of luck finding your next home and I hope it all goes smoothly for you. I look forward to hearing about what you finally decide on and then a few photos of your new place. It is all so exciting to contemplate this next big adventure together!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2020 :  4:21:40 PM  Show Profile
Connie...You are already flying high...you have a plan...and a soon to be retired man. The packing and sorting has already started...I'm thinking you're good and on top of it.

There is nothing like a new adventure to get the adrenaline pumping and the excitement ramping up. I live on the opposite Coast as you...so sorry but I have no clue about
prices and taxes there. Good Luck Sister and Happy Dreams to you and hubby!!

Here is a Gratitude Quote for you today: "Where there is great love, there are always miracles." ~ Willla Gather

Happy Trails Farmgirl!!!

Hugs, and Smiles,
Peggy.

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Apr 27 2020 4:23:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2145 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2145 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2020 :  6:07:07 PM  Show Profile
When we put our father's house up for sale it was on the market one day. We had 20 offers and sold it for $30K more than we were asking.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17060 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17060 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2020 :  11:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Connie,, what a fun adventure in to your next chapter of life..

Might I suggest,,, Renting ... I know after all those years of renting in your current local,,, you just want to start your Nest..
But, you could rent for a year... put most everything in storage except for the basic that you will need.. and then take your time to find that perfect Nest..,, plus if after several months or so, if you find you don't like living there.. you are free to check out other States.. Just a thought...

But,,, Congrats on your upcoming new adventure...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2020 :  08:49:19 AM  Show Profile
Exciting!

We recently moved from Chicago to Chattanooga - Last July. My husband retired 2 years ago and we started looking for a home then. We were waiting until our oldest graduated high school so that gave us a year to look. Well, we didn't find anything. Took us 2 years to find our perfect spot.

We put our home back in Chicago on the market last January and didn't get any showings for the first 4 months! We were trying to help out a friend who was just starting in realestate. Big mistake - sadly. We found a new agent who sold our home in 11 days.

I started packing and tossing and donating back in December of 2018 to get ready. In January our agent said we needed to clear furniture out so we rented a storage space. It did make for easier truck packing. All my big stuff was in storage.

I didn't even put in a garden last year because we didn't know what would be happening. We did have quite a few boxes of my canned veggies & preserves to move - those are heavy heavy boxes!

Come to Tennessee! Property taxes are so low. You can find acreage at a great price. No state income tax.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Farm Girl #790

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2211 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2211 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2020 :  4:46:14 PM  Show Profile
Before he retired, my husband and I had decided we wanted to move to Kentucky. We searched Zillow and other real estate listings for places that met our requirements. Then we took some time off and met with realtors in different areas to view homes. I was also prepared to rent for a while, as Grace suggested. We didn't find our dream home on that trip, but one realtor was a hard worker and showed my husband our home on a trip he took by himself. Although he sent me pictures, I didn't see the house till the day we closed.
So decide what you want: acreage,porch, # of rooms etc, decide your price, and search.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

There's no place like home!
Dorothy Gale

Nature speaks in symbols and in signs.
John Greenleaf Whittier
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2020 :  12:39:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Denise, I was born in Saratoga springs. Its been a long time since i've been there though. I've looked at hundreds of houses, and it seems that in some cities in saratoga county the taxes are less, but i have yet to confirm that.

Vanessa did you find the realtors through zillow or did you just contact local offices in the areas you were looking in?

Grace, we've considered the renting option, but I'm hoping to avoid that. I suppose we will just see how it works out.

Deb and Krista, congratulations on your new homes! Thank you for all your replies.

Vintage Sewing Machines, Original Parts & Related Book Titles - http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Handcrafted Artisan Soap https://www.etsy.com/shop/naturemaiden

Lil' Chefs Cookbook- Delicious Recipes for Toy Ovens - http://www.vintage-toy-ovens.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic big move coming up Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page