YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2020 :  08:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you heard of or have used rubber mulch. I hadn't until this week when Aldi has it in their Aldi Finds section. I ordered some for the flower bed that runs along the east side of my house. I can no longer grow anything that needs sun because my raised beds block the sun. Raised beds sit on two high cinder blocks and being within little over a ft of the flower beds they block the sun. Yellow Rose Cottage and trees block sun from the south.

I hope Aldi has it in stock - lately you never know what in stock and what is not. If I do get the rubber mulch I plan on laying landscape cloth than the mulch. Will decorate with "garden art".

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2020 :  11:16:18 AM  Show Profile
I have never used it myself but I have been places where it is used. I hope yours will smell better. It had a strong rubbery smell. Hopefully it has improved.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2020 :  11:35:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Judith, I had wondered about the smell. The bed is only a foot wide and length of side of house so maybe if it does have a smell it won't be overpowering.

Go to Top of Page

ChikinsR4dinner
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

D
Walhalla SC
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2020 :  12:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Send ChikinsR4dinner a Yahoo! Message
3rd time posting might get this to stick.

The answer is - it depends!
Rubber mulch is great in certain applications and horrible in others.

What I love: It lasts a long time (chunk more than shredded) and does especially well when laid over existing organic mulch (it will require more fertilization as there are no nutrients coming from the break down of organic mulch). It does not draw termites (Southern thing) so you can use it next to building structures. It's recycling!

What I don't love: It does smell if you use it in the wrong areas. If you're in FL, south GA, Texas, etc - don't use it. It will 'melt'. As you move northward - you can use it more places but I'd avoid places with southern exposure near your house until you got above VA or KY. If you're in the North - mulch away! :) Also - it floats. It does not run away in the rain - but if planting near a lake or river that floods - you could lose it all (ask me how I know!) It's expensive, but perhaps outweighed by the fact it lasts 5+ years!

All in all - in the right application - I'm a huge fan!

It is good to realize that if love and peace can prevail on earth, and if we can teach our children to honor nature's gifts, the joys and beauties of the outdoors will be here forever. -Jimmy Carter
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2020 :  1:18:30 PM  Show Profile
D I see you are new to the Farm. Welcome from northeast Texas. I'll be looking for you around the Farm.

Thanks for your info. It'll be on the east side and won't get direct sun after 3 p.m. in the heat of summer. It's under a wide eave. I had to replace the lower half of the east wall two years ago because of termites so even with all the bad things about the rubber mulch in Texas I am hopeful Aldi will have it in stock tomorrow. I won't be growing anything in the bed so it should do what I need it to do.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2020 :  9:38:15 PM  Show Profile
'D'.. welcome...

Sara,, glad you asked about rubber mulch,, I had seen it several years ago at Lowes,,,but thought it a bit pricey,, tho' I was tempted to use around the base of my ornamental trees and clematis... but I didn't know anyone who had used it..

and Sara... you lucky ducky,,, you have an ALDI by you... I have to fly/drive back to SO. CAL to go to one.. I luve ALDI.
I have emailed them 2x, letting them know that we need one up here in Spokane... lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2020 :  05:12:14 AM  Show Profile
Grace to tell you the truth I didn't consider the price because I need something I can put down once and not have to redo in a couple of years. My time & energy is worth $$$$ to me. Not to have to worry about termites is an added plus.

I've only been shopping at Aldi this year and that's because my great niece with the triplets only shops there and she is a good shopper.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2020 :  05:55:54 AM  Show Profile
I have seen it but never used it. It is used on playgrounds a lot these days. I have never noticed a smell so maybe that wears away after a while. I thought about getting it for under our swing set for the kids but decided the set doesn't really get used enough to invest in it. They have it under the playsets over at our local Amish market. They sell the sets so they have a few put up out there for people to see. I think it looks pretty nice as mulch. I hope it works for you Sara. Saves on replacing mulch.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2020 :  08:30:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Denise. Aldi had the mulch and it has been delivered. Now to get to work and put it down. That will be for another morning. I did tip the young man extra for the heavy lifting and he was a good grocery shopper too. He didn't look old enough to be out of school but now days everyone looks so young to me.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2020 :  3:45:59 PM  Show Profile
Sara, ain't that the truth, everyone looks younger! lol!
As long as I can avoid mirrors, age is no issue! lolol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2020 :  4:02:52 PM  Show Profile
Sara,
Glad you got it. Be careful with those bags. Don't want to hurt your back lifting.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2020 :  4:29:21 PM  Show Profile
Grace sometimes I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror and for a fleeting moment I wonder who that woman of a certain age is. Then I realize it's me and I'm in my glory years.

Denise, the bags are on the carport on the west side of my house - bed to be mulched is on the east side. I will open a bag and carry the mulch in a bucket. Will probably rest in my wicker rocker between trips. There's always a breeze on my carport so I will enjoy rocking and resting.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2020 :  06:09:00 AM  Show Profile
Good plan Sara!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2020 :  12:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Sara, we plan on using rubber mulch under our playground set when we get to that point. We aren’t much help for what you plan to use it for, but I really like it. I even like the feel of it.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2020 :  8:24:50 PM  Show Profile
It's good for playgrounds as the kids don't fall as hard on it as they do on dirt or concrete. It more cushiony.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

ChikinsR4dinner
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

D
Walhalla SC
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2020 :  08:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Send ChikinsR4dinner a Yahoo! Message
[quote]Originally posted by YellowRose

D I see you are new to the Farm. Welcome from northeast Texas. I'll be looking for you around the Farm.

Thanks to all for the welcome. I've been a mag subscriber for a while, and just joined the sisterhood (waiting on a number) last week. Bought a farm 2 years ago now, but still work full time over 100 miles away - so things are challenging to say the least. CV19 has my wings clipped, so I'm finding some extra keyboard time during my day and an extra hour or two of chore work in the evenings. I'm going to miss all this progress next year :) You all are awesome!

It is good to realize that if love and peace can prevail on earth, and if we can teach our children to honor nature's gifts, the joys and beauties of the outdoors will be here forever. -Jimmy Carter
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Rubber Mulch Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page