windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  4:03:41 PM  Show Profile
For me, spring time brings, maple syrup season, and new babies. Syrup season just ended, we ended with 57 quarts of goodness. We have 7 new baby calves. Twin heifers to start the season out with and 5 bull calves in a row. One more to go. The weekend my 2 boxes of bees arrive. Got a few things to finish up to be ready for them. Time too to get chicks ordered, and the piggies come in late May. I look forward to spring time, but I am kind of tired. lol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16960 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16960 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  4:06:54 PM  Show Profile
Michele, sounds like you know how to keep "bee-z"
Stay healthy and safe.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  4:28:53 PM  Show Profile
Michelle 57 qts of maple syrup - I'm impressed.

My sister who has a farm told me today her pecan & Bois D'Arc trees are leafing out so spring is here to stay in North East Texas. Bois D'Arc trees' fruit is known as horse apples here in Texas. Other part of the country they're called o'sage oranges.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  5:50:50 PM  Show Profile
Yum, sounds delicious as well as bountiful Michelle! We love good pure maple syrup! You sound quite busy with your critters too! Wish we could have bees, I love them so much! Too much farmland around us. I've seen the bee population dwindle incredibly much in the last 5 years here.

Sara!!! I learned something tonight! " horse apples= o'sage oranges! Funny, I've seen them in the grocery store and thought they were kinda ugly. Do they taste good??

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  9:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Dianna I don't think they are edible. o'sage orange may mean another fruit in your part of the country. I have sliced them; dried in oven; and used in wild crafting.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2020 :  09:15:30 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, 57 quarts of yummy goodness! Is that for your own use?

Sara, We have the O'sage oranges here. I have used them to decorate but they usually turn brown on me.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 31 2020 09:16:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2020 :  09:44:34 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I looked it up. Definitely not the same thing I've seen in the grocery!

"The Edible Inedible. ... In all fairness, not all of the fruit is edible. Only the seeds are. In fact, the Osage Orange it is closely related to the Mulberries, which we do eat, and the Paper Mulberry which also has an edible fruit."

That's amazing!!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2020 :  09:49:52 AM  Show Profile
Denise they do turn brown and ooze that milky sticky stuff which repels roaches. I put horse apples in throw away containers or on paper plates and put under my sinks. Also around outside water faucets to repel water bugs. When I did wild crafting I sliced the horse apples; dried in oven; and used on wreaths or in large wooden bowl of dried flowers and seed pods.

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2020 :  12:56:50 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on getting so much maple syrup this year Michele! Also, great to hear all the calves are healthy and doing great. Best of luck with the bees when you get them. Try to post some pictures of your farm when you get time.

Dawn in IL

Bloom, where you are planted.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2020 :  03:23:22 AM  Show Profile
What type of bees are you getting, Michelle? We don't expect to pick ours up for at least a month here. We have to get the site for the hives leveled.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

There's no place like home!
Dorothy Gale

Nature speaks in symbols and in signs.
John Greenleaf Whittier
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2020 :  03:52:38 AM  Show Profile
The bees are Italian crossed with Buckfest. We have a short season, so they do best starting out early. I plan on changing my bee keeping ways this year. I want to do everything possible to help them make it through the winter. I have watched the Mann Lake videos on mites and overwintering. This will be year 10 for bee keeping, and my results have not been the best. This year starting out with frame feeders, going to top feeders if they still need syrup. Checking for mites 4x per year. Treating if I have to and checking again for mites. Denise, farmland around you sounds like the perfect place to keep bees.
The maple syrup, we have 5 families that help out with the season. So we split it up as to how much everyone wants.
Happy Spring time to everyone.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2020 :  07:39:09 AM  Show Profile
Michele, do you have trees that you planted specifically for syrup or did they come with your property naturally? We tried to harvest some liquid from a giant silver maple and only ended up with 1/4 cup of syrup that wasn't very sweet!!!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Spring Time Brings...... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page