Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Thinking Outside Of The Box
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Thinking Outside Of The Box Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  10:45:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

Right now, people are in a bit of a panic... But we farmgirls know lots of ways to think outside the box to get things accomplished. I'm wondering what kinds of things you're doing to avoid some of the chaos? Lisa (Nubidane) and I were discussing this a couple of days ago. I was thinking maybe we could start posting our ideas here to help keep us focused on what we CAN do and what we DO have rather than let the alternatives get to us! Please - share whatever you like! Let's choose to make this an exciting time of discovery and sharing!

I, for one, am avoiding the grocery and big box stores like the plague.

For meat, we go to a local country butcher and purchase larger quantities of meat when the opportunity arises with our farmer friends.

We also have a family member who has a super egg connection. The guy raises "happy hens" who lay the most incredible eggs... And to be honest, he is MUCH less expensive than the grocery store!

For fruits and veggies, we go to a few different farm stores. Usually they have other food, too, such as meats, grains, maple syrup, honey... One of our local places even has a little local wine shop and bakery. I'm so surprised how when friends are complaining about the grocery stores that they always say they never even thought of the local farm stores. I guess they only consider them in summer time! WOW!!! As an aside, I was at our friends' farm store the other day, and one of the employees was telling me that the state actually sent them a letter asking them to remain open. She said that was their plan all along, but they only have so much produce. As long as the state provides food for them to sell, they will stay open and serve the public.

I haven't had the need yet, but there is a local dairy nearby where I can purchase milk, butter, eggs, ICE CREAM (a necessary staple, in my husband's eyes! lol!), lunch meat, bread, etc.

I started a fresh batch of red cabbage sauerkraut just for the probiotics, which are so important to our gut health, especially when illness strikes. And during my last trip to the health food store, I picked up a couple of jars of fermented kimchee because it's delicious AND good for you!

It's also time to start making kefir again. If you can get to a health food store, you can buy the grains right off the shelf, and it's SO easy to make. My first batch always seems to be a little sweeter than expected, but once it gets going - oh my gosh, so good! Yummy probiotics! YAY!

While everyone was still running around buying their t.p., I was out hunting for seeds. Surprisingly, I found Seeds of Change seeds at Home Depot (although very few in a packet for the cost), and High Mowing seeds at the health food store. You can also buy seeds sometimes at the grocer and farm stores. Of course many of us have already started seeds, but if you haven't or if you weren't considering growing some food this year, please reconsider. If this gets any worse or the shutdowns are extended for any length of time, there really could be uncomfortable shortages, especially if you don't live in a farming community. A lot of people were already predicting that there would be some food shortages simply due to the short growing season we had last year; whether that was true or not, I don't know. But even growing a zucchini plant, a tomato plant, a cucumber plant, a little basil and some lettuce in a pot on a balcony will make a difference. Plus, let's face it: it's just fun to do! ;)

Just a tidbit of information:

Twice now I've had my cart pending with Baker Creek, and both times when I went to finish placing my order the next day they were sold out or "closed." Almost unheard of! Thankfully, they should be restocked and reopening today, March 23rd, online at 4:00 PM CST, though, so you should be okay if you shop with them. I have not experienced this with other seed companies, like Johnny's, High Mowing, Seeds of Change, etc., however.

Okay, well... that's all I've got for now! What do YOU want to share? Things you can make from scratch? Emergency substitutions? Alternatives to the usual? Fun ideas for home entertainment? Anything else we just might not be thinking of? Whatever it is, we're surely all going to be happy to hear about it!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2020 :  04:55:31 AM  Show Profile
Check your local library's website for e books or language learning programs. No overdue fees!

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

There's no place like home!
Dorothy Gale

Nature speaks in symbols and in signs.
John Greenleaf Whittier
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2020 :  07:45:12 AM  Show Profile
Awesome, Vanessa!!!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2020 :  1:37:44 PM  Show Profile
It never occurred to me, to buy my seeds & seedling several weeks ago,, now several of the on-line companies I go to are not filling new orders until after March.. and all 3 locations in our town, that sell seedlings,, still have not gotten in their shipment.. but I am determined to get my Victory garden going, even if it will be as bit late..

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Thinking Outside Of The Box Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page