Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 First Lady Grace Coolidge Must Had Been a FarmGirl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic First Lady Grace Coolidge Must Had Been a FarmGirl Next Topic  

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  1:25:40 PM  Show Profile
I checked in on my favorite site to find wool for wool projects as well as patterns. There was a statement that their retail stop would not be opened because of the virus but still can order on line. Below that statement was one of Grace Coolidge's.

"Everyone should be taught to sew, not merely for the sake of making something, but as an accomplishment which may prove a stabilizer in time of perplexity or distress. Many a time when I need to hold myself firmly, I have taken up a needle - a sewing needle, some knitting needles, or a crochet (rug) hook. Whatever its form or purpose, it often proved to be as the needle of a compass, keeping me to the course." - First Lady Grace Coolidge

Think I would have liked to had tea with her.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  3:23:33 PM  Show Profile
enough said!!! words to live by. thanks Sara.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2681 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2681 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  3:29:26 PM  Show Profile
Love such wisdom!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2134 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2134 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  6:51:14 PM  Show Profile
So true! I often find hand sewing to be very meditative and restful.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  10:19:11 PM  Show Profile
Yep,, such good words to follow...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2020 :  05:27:10 AM  Show Profile
Sara, thank-you so much for this wonderful quote from Grace Coolidge! These are perfect words for me during these hard and uncertain days of Coronavirus pandemic. For me, Grace speaks to what I am finding these days as I am basically home all the time. My Mom was 15 when the Great Depression happened and then she married in 1938 right before WWII. By the time Pearl Harbor happened, she had two babies and her two step children. She learned from her immigrant mother how to do the accomplishments of homemaking and self sufficiency during her teen years on a farm which prepared her to be frugal and skilled when she was raising a young family. She told me how she would take some of Dad’s worn out wool clothing and take it all apart and make her children coats and winter clothing. I can’t even imagine being able to do those sorts of things. But when you grow up using feed sack cloth to make dresses and other household items, I guess you learn how to dream and then create beautiful things. Whatever skills I have today all came from this Mother who never felt poor and always accepted a challenge and came out on the other side successful.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2020 :  06:32:31 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, a beautiful tribute to your mother. Thanks for sharing your story.

Don't you think pioneer women living on the prairie or in a wildness found comfort, inspiration, and hope from other women when they met for quilting bees.

More than just a needle on a compass as Grace Coolidge put it for many women then and now what we do we our hands is a life line. With each stitch we tell ourselves we can get through it and this too shall pass. While we rely on our faith in hard times our busy hands help make it happen.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on Mar 20 2020 06:33:45 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic First Lady Grace Coolidge Must Had Been a FarmGirl Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page