katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  12:26:07 PM  Show Profile
I had no idea that Family Circle magazine has ceased publication...
I just read this..
"After nearly 90 years of dispensing recipes and home tips to America, Family Circle magazine is being shut down by Meredith Corp. The December holiday issue will be its last "..
my 1956 issue...

Yet another magazine that I grew up with leaves only memories behind..

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Mar 18 2020 12:29:11 PM

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  1:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh no! I just got a thing in the mail a few weeks ago about a “good deal”. I did not send it in yet. Well now I won’t. That makes me sad. We all need to support our magazines we love so this doesn’t keep happening.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  5:48:38 PM  Show Profile
The internet and modern life is doing away with a lot of magazines and newspapers, not to mention bookstores, and other retail businesses. I so miss browsing in the bookstore.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  7:52:24 PM  Show Profile
I luv browsing through mags and am my happy place when at the library... which, sadly is closed for the next 6 weeks.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  06:00:19 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, Family Circle is really an iconic part of the homemaker’s life for decades! My Mom used to get it too. Like you, I am sorry to see it leave the market but the competition out there must be really fierce because there are so many magazines now and specialty ones on certain topics., But like you, i grew up looking at these magazines and enjoying all f the seasonal ideas for decorating and food. Now more people eat our to take out and home cooking is vanishing . Young women are just not interested in magazines like Family Circle and I am not surprised that it has faded from popularity. Still it is sad to see the things that filled our homes growing up and for many decades since being stopped. You are lucky to have a few older copies to have in your own personal library at home.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  07:54:30 AM  Show Profile
So true Winnie... When I peruse through the magazine isle, with the mags on display,,, I see so many mags geared to Vanity, not that they weren't before, but so many more it seems.. and it looks like 2/3 of the mags are advertisements...

And now the price of mags has gotten crazy... MJF is one of the few that is affordably priced,, when I look at a mag with a $9.99 price,,, I put it right back! that's just crazy,, plus you are paying for those 2/3 ads... nope, not gonna pay that... I have even seen Bi-yearly mags, with a price of $19.99.. Seriously? for a magazine? A hard bound book, I can understand.(with no ads).. or maybe, as I get older, I become more frugal.. lol!

When I camp with my gal-pals, we always bring old mags,, and leave them out for each other to swap/take... that being said,, I never brought and left my MJF mags... nope, not gonna do it! not gonna part with them... heeheehee!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  10:32:15 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I only subscribe to MJF, Capper's Farmer, Country Sampler and Country Rustic. I don't even look at the magazines these days because, like you say, they are full of ads and topics that don't interest me at all. I have a few of the Country Living magazines from the 1980s and early 1990s that are my favs. Today , CL is not very inspiring to me anymore and full of ads like everything else. I have 4 of the Farm Journal magazines that I found on Ebay from the early 1940s. They have a special section in the back for the Farmer's Wife which are wonderful!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  12:30:02 PM  Show Profile
Family Circle was a Mainstay in our house since I was a kid. But I must admit...if I am going to take any Magazine it has to be something very Special.
Like Bella Grace, or Daphne's Diary or Pioneer Woman or JoAnna Gaines...something that isn't just Advertising. Even MJF has too much advertising
in it for me. I quit taking it. I would rather pay more for a Good Magazine that I LOVE than a cheaper one with all advertising. And let's face it there
really are no cheap/inexpensive magazines anymore.

Love, Hugs, and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  1:30:50 PM  Show Profile
Ohh! I am gonna have to check out 'Bella Grace'..
PeggyAnn,,, thanx for the tip...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Well Bummer! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page