Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Any Home Chocolatiers Out There?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Any Home Chocolatiers Out There? Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2020 :  10:00:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

This past Christmas, my cousin and I made homemade chocolates for gifts. BIG HIT! And so easy! I mean SO easy! I always thought there was some mysterious trick to it - NOPE! Easy peasy! Here is a link to the chocolate melding pot we used, which REALLY made all the difference - no messy water bath, no burned chocolate, etc.: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I5ZRPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I believe you can buy it at Walmart even cheaper!

All we did was melt different chocolate and add things like nuts, butter brickle, coconut, etc., and drop them into mini cupcake cup lined mini cupcake pans. We also went "fancy" making buckeyes and peanut butter cups! And then I went rogue and made hot chocolate on a stick. I'm telling you, if you've never had it - you have GOT to try it! SO delish! Here is the link to the recipe I used and its corresponding video: https://laurainthekitchen.com/recipes/hot-chocolate-on-a-stick/?yt=1 It's soo good!

Now that Easter is coming up, I want to make fancier chocolates, like molded Easter bunnies, white chocolate crosses, little eggs wrapped in foil... peanut butter eggs, fruit and nut eggs.. you name it!

Do any of you make homemade chocolates? What are some of your favorites? Do you have any tips or tricks or techniques or tool suggestions to share? I've never used molds before - is there anything I should know or be careful to do? How do you paint the details on molded candy? Any special recipes to share? Please do share!!! I'm just SO excited to get started for Easter!!!

Thank you in advance!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 19 2020 10:07:03 PM

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2020 :  02:35:21 AM  Show Profile
years ago we made chocolates in small molds. it is fun to make and give out. I did make marshmallow eggs before too. You put a bunch of flour in a cake pan and made the molds by setting an egg in them, then poured the marshmallow mix in. They were good.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2020 :  11:58:46 AM  Show Profile
Back in my 4-H days (over 20 years ago already!!!) I make a lot of decorated chocolates in molds. I used white chocolate with dye to make colors and a toothpick to get the chocolate in the mold. After a little coloring put the mold in the freezer for a minute or two before layering on a different warm color. I made some chocolate covered cherries this way too (in a mold). Best of luck to you - homemade gifts are the best!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  06:11:48 AM  Show Profile
What a cool idea, Michele! I would love to know more about doing that!!

Thanks for the tip, Heather!! How did your cherries turn out? That's one of the treats on my list! Wish my Dad was still around! Those were his favorite! :)

I really want to make those little eggs wrapped in colored foils, but I know their texture is different than dropped or molded chocolates... does anyone know how to make them?

I've also been looking at jelly bean recipes, figuring I could louse my Jello jelly bean mold for he centers. Has anyone had success with them?

SO much fun!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  10:15:35 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I watched a movie in my sociology class when I went back to college in my 30's called 'Chocolat' (in french of course) and wanted SO MUCH to become a chocolatier!! I studied it for a few months and then we moved to Germany and that was that. I'm envious of those who can do this! The first thing I look for when visiting new places are the chocolate stores!!:) All the best!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  10:36:39 AM  Show Profile
Dianna -- I loved that movie ! In English :-) It made me want to make magical chocolate.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  10:38:51 AM  Show Profile
Lol, Judith, I so relate!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  10:55:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh my GOSH girls! I haven't ever seen it! I would even love it in French! LOL! I'll have to watch it next time I get some girl time. The guys would NEVER Go for it! But just the name - I'm in love!!!

Dianna - just curious: when traveling thus far, where have you found your favorite chocolate?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  10:58:36 AM  Show Profile
I am a big cookie maker for the holidays and have always wanted to do candies. I would love to hear and learn more!

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2020 :  11:33:47 PM  Show Profile
Super easy, Jana. I didn't do well with the whole double boiler thing, at all; but I did purchase one of those Choco Maker melting pots on Amazon, and it made everything a breeze. Basically you pour chocolate melting discs into the pot and stir till melted smooth (I purchased my chocolate at a local candy making and cake decorating supply shop because it was the least expensive way to buy it, but they do have them at other places like Sam's Club, Walmart, the grocery store, etc.).

The first time we made chocolates, all we did was add chopped nuts or nuts and raisins, or coconut, etc... then we either created drop-type candies or we used lined mini cupcake tins to make more cup-shaped candies. we made everything from buckeyes to what we called almond joys, from nuts and raisins to white chocolate macadamia nut candy. It was SO easy. The most time consuming part was waiting for the candy to cool so we could either wrap them individually or move them make room for the next batch!

This time around I bought molds... I think I'm going to try to make a solid chocolate bunny, a chocolate Easter basket, a cross with a lily for white chocolate, tiny chocolate eggs wrapped in colorful foil wraps, etc. Crazy me: I was even considering making homemade jelly beans! LOL! And I am DEFINITELY making our annual panorama eggs with the younger kids in our lives!! I am really dying to get started for this coming Easter's gifts! This is the tastiest therapy you'll find!

I hope you try it! SO much fun! Let us know how you make out!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  04:23:55 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Nini. My MJ chat notices had stopped working for some reason, now I'm playing catch up after the problem being fixed.

BELGIUM!!By far the best! :)

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  11:14:46 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Dianna! I wondered! Everything you see on tv and online definitely seems to agree with you! ;)

Hugs-

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Any Home Chocolatiers Out There? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page