nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2020 :  08:34:21 AM  Show Profile
I finally decided it's time to put my wild bread book to use. I've got some grain sprouted and ground. Now I'm getting my mother started. Hopefully I'll have some delicious bread or at least pancakes to show you next week!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2020 :  08:52:32 AM  Show Profile
Good luck with the sourdough. I made a lot of waffles when my sourdough was in it its infancy.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2020 :  08:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Keep us posted!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2020 :  03:46:08 AM  Show Profile
Good luck hope it goes well. I tried it a while back and did not have good luck. One of these days I will try again.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2280 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2280 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2020 :  07:17:19 AM  Show Profile
Good luck Heather. I have been taking an online course for sour dough. I made the most beautiful dinner rolls over the weeken. They were picture perfect and delicious as well. It is fun to experiment in the kitchen.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2020 :  08:37:16 AM  Show Profile
So far it looks o.k. I have some bubbles and it smells good. We'll see Friday if it'll rise.

Julie - your dinner rolls sound delicious! And yes, I also love experimenting in the kitchen.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2020 :  08:47:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh Heather. You and Julie are so inspirational! I love sourdough everything, even the pancakes sound great, Judith! I really need to find more time in the kitchen!! Keep us posted Heather!best successs!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2020 :  4:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Heather, good luck with your sourdough! I have never been able to successfully make the mother for some reason. But, it does make delicious breads and I am sure it will make delicious waffles and pancakes too. I stick to buttermilk and have much better results. MaryJane's Cast Iron Cookbook if filled with delicious buttermilk recipes and they always turn out great!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2020 :  5:05:04 PM  Show Profile
Sadly my mother wasn't very happy. My bread didn't rise much at all. I baked it anyway and I enjoyed it but I'm going to wait a while and try again. I think the woodstove might be causing too much fluctuation in the temperature. It's also hard for me to keep the towel covering it moist. I add water to the pie plate multiple times a day and sometimes it was still drying out. Maybe this spring I'll have better luck. It might be my wheat too though. Came right out of a farmers field. Not sure if it's the right kind for bread or not LOL!!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2280 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2280 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2020 :  11:31:52 AM  Show Profile

I fed my starter last night and put in the fridge since I am not planning on baking for a few days. This is how it looked this morning, I think it is pretty happy. It almost fills the jar after I have had it out on the counter a few days with twice a day feedings. I have been using local wheat too Heather and haven't had any problems, but my first couple of loaves were awful and I have no idea what I did wrong.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2020 :  11:44:50 AM  Show Profile
Yours looks a lot more bubbly than mine did! I thought maybe it was the temperature fluctuation from the woodstove but maybe I just needed to give it more time. I have a lot of wheat so I plan to try again later. My loaf of bread was just over 1" thick LOL!!! Is your wheat spring wheat? Mine's winter wheat - not sure what difference that makes for bread but I know there's some kind of difference in them.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2020 :  1:23:06 PM  Show Profile
Winter wheat is the hard wheat for bread making; it has a higher gluten content. Spring wheat is the soft wheat that makes for good cakes as it has less gluten.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2280 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2280 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2020 :  3:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Heather my wheat is a variety of Hard Red Spring Wheat, it is a wheat that is grown here because of our shorter growing season. It has a high protein and strong gluten content. Soft white-both winter and spring varieties are mostly used for cookies, flat breads, pastries etc. it has a really low gluten strength and lower protein content. Hard Red winter wheat is an excellent general purpose wheat that is also high in protein and gluten. If you find you are getting a soft wheat variety you can add extra gluten to it and you can test the gluten content by doing the stretch test, meaning after you have kneaded a bit see if it stretches to a point you can see light through it.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2020 :  7:35:45 PM  Show Profile
I am looking for how to make a sourdough starter.
What to add and when.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2020 :  04:44:37 AM  Show Profile
When I first made bread with the wild yeast starter, it too was also flat. I gave up on it at that time. I do hope to try try again sometime.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2020 :  12:26:39 PM  Show Profile
I've got my starter going. I shall see how it goes!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  1:22:20 PM  Show Profile
Good luck Betty!! Keep us posted.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  11:08:48 PM  Show Profile
Heather, girls... Will you please share your sourdough starter recipes? I had CJ's recipe in my box, but I have misplaced it. I would REALLY like to do this! Thank you! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2020 :  08:52:28 AM  Show Profile
I just used MaryJane's Wild Bread book. Hopefully I'm allowed to post it! It's 3/8 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of water twice a day. I never could get mine to look like Julie's though. And my bread was flat as could be. The pancakes I made tasted wonderful though. I hope you have much better luck than I did. I also highly recommend MJ's book. There are lots of delicious looking recipes if you can get your starter going!!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  10:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
By choice I am staying home during Covid 19. The governor in MN, where I live has a stay at home order until May 18. Due to my age and some risk factors I am stuck at home, but by choice. So I of course need things to do. I love to bake, but can't find yeast anywhere, so when my sister in Illinois began posting her sourdough journey I was on a mission to find or start a starter. A friend along with her daughter began a starter about 6 weeks ago and shared some with me. It was and continues to be a very active starter. I wanted to share some of my successes and see if any of you farm girls have a recipe or two you would share. My first was a sourdough chocolate cake, then bread, so good. I have dough rising for some dinner rolls and when my fed starter is ready I want to make some sourdough peanut butter brownie bites. It has been fun to try something new, I have been reading about veggie fermenting so I will look to see if there is a post on that to help get me started. My neighbors and grandchildren have been enjoying all the baking! Enjoy your day and sorry for such a long post.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic sourdough time Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page