hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2020 :  3:44:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm a little behind posting on this topic, but needed to attend another council meeting. The one thing I've noticed in my current state opposed to past states we have lived in, is that there is a "good ole boy" mentality here, even within politics! I can see where this may be beneficial, as in some areas, you are dependent upon one another. However, for an "outsider" (as in someone who has not lived in the state or area their entire life) it is next to impossible to really get your foot in and be heard. The current area I live in definitely leans more to one political party over another.

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2020 :  6:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
I'm a liberal and live in Florida for the winter. My residence is in Massachusetts. I keep my head low and don't get political with others. I can't do conflict and criticism!Good luck with that. I just walk away and say no thanks to getting sucked in to the discussion.

Farmgirl#7588 Fishgirl Farm Chapter member.
Laughter makes the heart strong!
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  1:36:05 PM  Show Profile
I am not in favor of the current political ideas and to mention people you don't like in southern WV will get you beat up---so I keep me mouth shut and watch CNN. I am ashamed of WV and their political ideas. But ladies---I said something once in public and I thought a guy was gonna kill me. I guess good ole boys are just rednecks in WV. My ole holler friend used to tell me---if you lived here you'd be dead in a week. Ladies we do have to stay out of discussions for sure---although I bought my husband a Make Donald Drump Again hat from the John Oliver show. He wears it at times and hope no one notices and asks what it means. Check it out ladies and see what DRump means---a person's old German name. I do not care about a persons political opinions---each to his own---but we should not live in fear of saying what we think.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  1:49:58 PM  Show Profile
Sorry ladies---I think it is drumpf---type it in.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

MsKathleen
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Jennifer
Harrisonville MO
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2020 :  5:30:40 PM  Show Profile
Good evening!

I think this is the right place to post our observations of governmental sessions for Public Service Beginners badge. If not, I apologize in advance.

First let me give some background about my activities. I started following the local legislature around March when COVID-19 shut down our local schools, trying to figure out what was going on. Our town council wasn't saying much and suspended public meetings for the time being. The School board, for which I worked since I am a teacher, also closed their doors to the general public to avoid contamination. I found the same to have occurred at the municipal, county and regional district authorities. It was my union representative who informed me that the state allows some visitors to come see their sessions still and allows the general population to watch the live sessions through a link on the web. I thought that I would have to wait until August to find out more information since the state session is closed for summer break. Surprisingly, this last week, a special session occurred which I was able to participate watching.

This is what the state of Missouri is currently discussing:

1) Violent Crime Issue: Governor Parson called a special session to amend six different statutes in the division of law and order. The statutes include:
Officer residency requirements for St. Louis
Adult certification of juvenile offenders
Pre-trial witness protection
Witness statement admissibility
Unlawful transfer of weapons
Expanding the offense of endangering the welfare of a child by involving a child in a weapons offense.
Sen. Doug Libla brought a bill that addressed all six components, called Senate Bill 1. This bill was chosen as it covered all of the provision for discussion that had been filed on July 27th. Rep. Nick Schroer Brought smilier bills before the state House Committee.
Sen. Jill Schupp filed Senate Bill 12, a bill suggesting a wide range of provisions regarding the safe opening of schools in the state during COVID-19. This bill will be discussed on August 7, 2020.

2) Schedule for Further Action in the Special Session:
SB 1 is the primary bill to discuss and was referred to a special committee on July 27th. The Special committee took the bill on July 28th and will reconvene on August 5th. They have sixty days to finish. No other bills will be discussed by the special committee during this time unless a bill extension is called. No additional extensions added, but some last minute appointments have been made.

3) Topics to be discussed upon return:
Additional withholds that will affect K-12 and Higher Education - $271 million will be withheld from the current year of education funding plus an additional $154 million in restrictions.
In a previous session, the governor had announced that he intends to waive the current law that limits the restrictions to district that have the ability to sustain themselves with budget cuts. Budget cuts will now be across the board. There is discussion in the State Senate over whether the Governor has the power to circumvent the law.
Colleges will have a $11.6 million withheld from the community.
The Clean Missouri Bill, a bill requiring a nonpartisan entity to draw district lines, is about to lapse.
Removal of the 20% tax cap on property taxes.
Expansion of Medicare - Vote on August 4 to determine next steps.

This concludes my discussion of public issues in Missouri during the latest session.

Have a wonderful day!

- Kathleen
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2020 :  1:28:47 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen, great work on your beginner Public Service Badge. Good luck with your next badge.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MsKathleen
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Jennifer
Harrisonville MO
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2020 :  2:30:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Krista. ^_^ Looking forward to the next badge!

Have a wonderful day!

- Kathleen
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Public Service Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page