janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2020 :  6:55:58 PM  Show Profile
After receiving a Presto 23 quart pressure canner for Christmas two years ago, I finally bit the bullet. I made chicken broth and canned seven quarts. All went very well, and I am proud to say I didn't break or destroy anything!

I would be interested in hearing about your first experience and reassure me that it does get easier.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6792 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6792 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  06:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Jana proud of you and so happy your first experience went well. And, it does get easier. When I first began pressure canning I printed the canning instructions and recipe so I could make notes - before & after the process. I no longer do that but I still double check the time except for beans - that is one time I can trust to memory. I don't trust my memory for broths because I pressure can both meat & veg broths and the times are different. It's hard for me to keep them straight.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  07:20:33 AM  Show Profile
Awesome, Jana! KUDOS! How exciting!!! I think my first pressure canning was either meat or soup... I can't remember... But my pressure canner is one of my best kitchen buddies! It DOES get easier, but I still do everything pretty methodically. If you take all the precautions, you'll be fine. And once you get into your groove, there will be NO stopping you! ENJOY!!! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  9:31:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jana! I too just dove into pressure canning this past year, and I still find it scary and intimidating. But it has also opened so many horizons for me! It took me some time to feed the first jar to my family, and I boiled the food before serving, out of fear ( I think that was green beans.) But since then I have experimented with many types of recipes including meats, which is way out of my comfort zone. Chicken broth has become a favorite thing to make, and I have two pots in the fridge tonight, waiting to finish them off and process them tomorrow. The flavor is so much richer than the very best broth I’ve ever purchased, and I love that I can make it any day of the year, unlike the fresh produce I can in the summer, which has to be done right away before it loses its freshness.

I still have many questions, and I use this forum to try to get them answered. Right now my best advice would be don’t rush. I keep trying to squeeze processing into small bits of the day and I’m always coming up pressed for time to finish, or making a mistake that makes me uneasy about my results.

I hope you’ll share all your new adventures with us!
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2020 :  5:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all! I look forward to trying more, especially since freezer space is so limited. Now that I think about it, I might try some beans this weekend.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6792 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6792 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2020 :  03:15:57 AM  Show Profile
Jana I find having home canned dried beans in the my pantry is so handy. Yesterday my sister and I prepared food for our niece whose husband is going through treatment for colon cancer. I opened two pints of my royal corona large lima dried beans and seasoned them with bacon.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2020 :  10:42:35 PM  Show Profile
I made another batch of beans last weekend, and learned another valuable lesson. The canner was just taking forever to get to pressure and was steaming a lot. So I had to shut it down and since it was late, I left it til morning. I started over with fresh water and I put some oil on the gasket as recommended when it’s not sealing well. But again, no pressure and this time the little red pressure relief valve was leaking steam. Again, I shut it down, let it cool, and took off the lid to inspect the button. It was just bumped cock-eyed. I pushed it back in place and finally processed those jars for an hour and a half. If I had just taken the time at the start of my canning to see that all parts were working right I would have saved myself a lot of time.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pressure Canning Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page