Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 GMO Seed Question - Is This Right?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic GMO Seed Question - Is This Right? Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  10:21:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

I was watching a video on YouTube the other day. The girl was talking about seeds and said that if you are a home gardener, the chances of you buying GMO seeds at the store or from any type of retail outlet- regardless of how they are packaged - is NIL. She said the only GMO seeds on the market today are sold to large scale farms, and if, as a home gardener, you are paying extra for Non-GMO seeds, you are basically throwing your money away and being cheated...

Is that right???

Thanks in advance for clarifying!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2020 :  04:59:51 AM  Show Profile
Nini,
I buy seed from Baker Creek, and Southern Seed Exposer and Seed Swap. Never do I buy seeds from other sources. GMO is awful and tainting our food.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014 & January 2019
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2020 :  05:58:28 AM  Show Profile
Me, too, Kelly! I totally agree... I buy from Baker Creek, SeedSavers, Johnnys and High Mowing Seeds... The repercussions of GMOs terrify me... But I was blown away by what this girl said. I had never heard such a thing... Crazy stuff! (I will have to check out Southern Seed and Seed Swap! COOL! Thanks for sharing!) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2020 :  10:52:43 AM  Show Profile
I like Nichols Nursery in Oregon. They have a great variety of seeds and plants, along with other garden-related items. I get my saffron crocus bulbs from them, along with some other hard to find plants/seeds. They have a great free catalog; the new one is just out .

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2020 :  11:38:02 AM  Show Profile
Like Kelly, I too buy from Baker Creek for my edibles, heck, even my flower seeds are from an organic garden in Washington state! It's crazy out there for sure! Sad tho huh?

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2020 :  12:21:57 PM  Show Profile
Certified organic seeds are definitely non-GMO. There is a list on Google of non-gmo seeds companies and answers to questions about GMO's. It is always good to do a little research before you buy or believe what someone is saying!

Dawn in IL

"To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake it is necessary to stand out in the cold."
- Aristotle

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Jan 15 2020 12:22:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2020 :  09:30:00 AM  Show Profile
I've gotten some seed from here https://www.anniesheirloomseeds.com/ You can request a free catalog. They're in Michigan.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2020 :  10:41:58 AM  Show Profile
This is all awesome information, girls, thank you! I am definitely going to check out Annie's and Nichols! YES!!!

Does anyone know if what this lady was saying is correct, though? I don't trust what she is saying, but I really want to know! It seems terribly irresponsible to say such a thing. In any event, I prefer heirloom non-gmos. Smaller, yes, but so much tastier!!!

Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2020 :  12:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Nini, it sounds like you were watching "Roots and Refuge Farm" on YouTube this morning! I love and have been following them for the past two years and find her very informative! I too did not know this fact about all home seeds are not allowed to be GMO, but to be on the safe side, I have always done my research before purchasing seeds.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2020 :  2:23:40 PM  Show Profile
A quick Google search indicates that seeds for the home gardener are NOT GMO.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2020 :  9:44:29 PM  Show Profile
Jana! That's so funny! I usually watch her during gardening season - Isn't she awesome!!!

No... this was some random video... I had never seen her before. The lady was blonde. I will have to see if I can find it again and I'll share it with you. :)

Thank you, Judith!

So, then the real issue for the home gardener isn't so much that they are GMO seeds, but rather whether they are heirloom and organic??? Ok.. I think I have all of that covered! :)

Thanks, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  05:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Nini, you might want to consider going heirloom. I started out with organic non-GMO specific seeds and found there are not that many varieties to choose from. Now I just shop at Baker Creek Rare Seeds, MIGardener, and Renee's Garden.

If you haven't watched Gary Pilarchik (The Rustic Gardener) on YouTube, you might want to give it a try. He has very useful information.

Jana
MJF #7110

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  07:22:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I do, Jana! I do heirloom... I wouldn't go any other way! And yes, I've seen The Rustic Gardener! Love him! Sounds like we're kindred gardening spirits! LOL! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  07:23:07 AM  Show Profile
Have you watched Charles Dowding? I love him, too.

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  07:59:33 AM  Show Profile
Wow, no I haven't watched Charles Dowding until now, thanks!

Jana
MJF #7110

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  9:56:26 PM  Show Profile
I don’t know the answer to the GMO question. But another important consideration for any of us when deciding on a seed provider is the overall seed bank availability and who is controlling it. Many of the major seed companies are actually owned by just one or two corporations. By purchasing your seeds from small, independent providers you help to ensure that a wider variety of open pollinated varieties are protected and continue to exist in our cumulative seed bank, and that they remain in the safe hands of caring growers, in the case that major seed sources do become contaminated by GMOs or some other unforeseen epidemic. Genetic diversity is so terribly important.

So it may be that you can save a few dollars by going with the Big Guy. But in the end, is it worth a few dollars?
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2020 :  11:30:31 AM  Show Profile
As an Advanced Master Gardner who has also taught seed classes, the answer is yes. There are no GMO seeds currently on the market for the home gardener.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2020 :  5:30:17 PM  Show Profile
As a landscape professional I agree with the statement and with Nicole's comments. GMO seeds are primarily developed to assist large scale agricultural farmers with things like increased yield per plant, built-in pest resistance, and benefits that reduce the amount of work (such as weed control between corn rows) that has to be done to bring crops to market. While some of these advantages do help the environment in positive ways such as soil and water conservation, reducing soil erosion, not having to use crop dusters to apply pesticides, etc - I do not like the idea of eating food that has been modified by human science to make someone's life easier and more profitable. It's always best to choose organic and/or heirloom seeds when you have that option, but you will not find GMO seeds at the garden center. My favorite seed suppliers are Territorial, Ed Hume, Seeds of Change, Grow Organic (aka Peaceful Valley Farm), and Baker Creek Heirlooms.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Feb 03 2020 5:41:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  11:24:49 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, girls - you have definitely answered my question. I am so grateful!

Sara and Marilyn, you both really bring up some excellent points! EXCELLENT points!

Ok - so my next question is, if you live close to a farm, how likely is it that your non-GMO, organic, heirloom, open-pollinated seeds will be affected by their GMO crops and spraying, etc.? VERY good friends of ours own a huge family farm that has been handed down from generation to generation. Sometimes in the early summer morning you can literally smell the chemicals lingering in the air from their crop spraying. I don't think they really affect my garden because, believe me, the bugs know where to eat the good stuff, and mine has quite a diversity of visitors - good and bad! The only thing that seems to really affect my plants is when they set off all the 4th of July fire works - makes me lose my mind! I started covering my garden with sheets a couple of years ago, and, thankfully, that saves a good bit of them from damage! Anyhow, I know there is some controversy about cross-pollination with neighboring farms and Monsanto GMOs/rights. Is that an issue if you're living across town? I know it probably sounds like a silly question, but it's something I've always wondered.

I've talked with our friends at length about what it would take for them to go organic. The gist is that the laws are such that they would have to shut down production on their lands for years before they could start over. It would be near impossible to do small sections at a time because of the treatments they currently use. They'd love to do it, but it would have an extremely negative affect on their income, their own food production, local employment (they have a LOT of employees), the local economy (for several valid reasons) and, like the husband said, what is he supposed to do, stop feeding his family and locals who trust and count on him? He said it is extremely frustrating, but at least what people get at his farm is way better than anything they get at the grocery store (I can attest to that!), so at least people are getting locally fresh food from a trusted farmer. I guess it's all how you look at it. I definitely go to his farm (and other local farms) before buying at the grocery store if at all possible, that's for sure.

I try to grow as much as I can in our little garden every year, but this year it's really deeply pressing on my heart to try to do even more - and to save even more seeds! Is anyone else feeling that way?

Hugs - and thanks again to ALL of you!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 04 2020 11:25:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2020 :  11:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I do share your concern and your burden of feeling that we must do something.

I appreciate your explanation of how your friends are trapped in conventional farming. I believe they would genuinely prefer not to be. We also operate a conventional orchard, and I guarantee that the costs of pesticides, fungicides and fertilizers eat up a huge portion of farming profits. And it is true that the hoops you have to jump through to become organic are extremely burdensome. But there are things farmers can do to lessen their effects on the soil and the environment, if they just take time to implement some new methods. We all have to care enough to make that difference.

I’m so glad you brought up seed saving because I’ve been wanting to share with others on that topic! Shall we start a thread about seed saving, seed banks, seed swaps and tips? I’ve been amping up my store in the last two years as part of my preparedness exercises. I’d love to hear what you’ve been saving!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2020 :  11:49:00 PM  Show Profile
I think that would be a WONDERFUL idea, Sara! I am pretty sure there was a seed swap going on a few years ago (I've been absent for a little while), but I think that it would be AWESOME if you start that strain!!! PLEASE DO!!! I'm not super great at seed saving - I don't understand all the correct methods, etc. But I try to save from whatever I grow in any given year. I would also love to learn more about starting seedlings. I've tried, but not with much success. But that's another story! ;)

I'm so glad you said that about being trapped in conventional farming. I'm honestly not sure people know how hard that switch actually is! But I also believe you're right about implementing new methods. I think that might also be a topic to start here on the chatroom! I bet there are MANY farmers who want to make some changes but honestly don't know how or don't have time to figure out how or where to begin. Please do that, too! I'm not a farmer, but I think being educated about these things are so important. You never know when this might come up in conversation - something we learn and something we share can truly make a difference!

Hugs and cheers to you, sister!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 14 2020 12:01:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2020 :  11:57:22 PM  Show Profile
One more thought on that, Sara - One thing our farmer friends always say is that, although they wish they COULD go all organic, they feel there is a lot of misconception about the chemicals that are used in farming. They go to a big convention (is that the right word?) every year to learn and be certified in all sorts of applications, methods, and chemical uses, and to learn the most up to date information and technic. I am not sure that I agree with some of the train of thought on some of the things they shared, but I can honestly say that everything they do is deeply considered and well thought out. They love their land, they love their family, they love their community, they love their employees, they love their animals... and they love being farmers, providers and caretakers. They're awesome people, they do the best they can in all that they do, and I really, really appreciate them.

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2020 :  12:02:07 AM  Show Profile
I think that would be a WONDERFUL idea, Sara! I am pretty sure there was a seed swap going on a few years ago (I've been absent for a little while), but I think that it would be AWESOME if you start that strain!!! PLEASE DO!!!

I'm so glad you said that about being trapped in conventional farming. I'm honestly not sure people know how hard that switch actually is! But I also believe you're right about implementing new methods. I think that might also be a topic to start here on the chatroom! I bet there are MANY farmers who want to make some changes but honestly don't know how or don't have time to figure out how or where to begin. Please do that, too! I'm not a farmer, but I think being educated about these things are so important. You never know when this might come up in conversation - something we learn and something we share can truly make a difference!

Hugs and cheers to you, sister!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  7:57:44 PM  Show Profile
Nini,

Would love to join a seed swap...I did one years ago and it was so much fun! I do not mind starting the topic if no one else has yet.

I find that people get confused between GMO, hybrid, and heirloom seeds. As others have said, GMO seeds are created for large scale agricultural use. Hybrid seeds produce hybrid plants, so therefore if you save the seed from that plant, it will not grow "true"...it will not be an exact copy of the parent plant. Heirloom varieties will produce the same plant as the parent plant when you save the seed.

Anyone else have their tomatoes started, speaking of heirlooms???

:D

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  1:52:06 PM  Show Profile
Not sure if the rules are the same anymore up here in Spokane,, but about a dozen years ago,, to plant/grow and sell as Organic,, your land had to sit fallow for 5 years,, meaning no amendments, no pesticides etc., .. but here is what is an even bigger issue.. your neighbors also can not use any pesticides on their property for 5 years... so getting a neighbor to be on board is the tricky part.
Again, not sure if that is still the rule/law.. but it certainly can discourage a gardener (who wants to be able to sell their fruits/veggies as organic.)

That being said,, my 2 neigh bore west of me don't use pesticides and neither does the family directly behind us... but, my neighbor on my east side has a company come out and spray her fields.. uuggh! and she has made it perfectly clear she intends to continue to weed spray.... So if I want to go organic,, it would only be for my use.. and I would garden on the west side of my property.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  9:30:45 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Grace... What a thing! I would be so worried about runoff, plus that eventually makes its way to the ground water, doesn't it? Ugh... I pray for everyone's safety! My cousin was a big Round-Up girl - her yard was absolutely beautiful. But she did develop Leukemia, and how she suffered. It took some time for her to believe the Round-Up was the culprit. I think primarily that was because she didn't want to give up her amazing yard and garden - she just didn't want to admit it. Now she realizes. She hasn't come up with a natural alternative, so she still has the lawn company come in and do their thing. Having said that, though, while and after they are there, she takes all the precautions. She wears a mask and gloves for days, and she never walks in her grass without boots and her legs being covered. She always has to cover from head to toe and wear a mask when outdoors. It worries me. But where she lives, she has to maintain the landscape, and she hasn't figured out how to stop using the chemicals and get the same result. Personally, I'd sell my house. I know that sounds drastic, but after everything she has been through...

I'm sure you've probably had "the" discussion with your neighbor, but geez... After seeing what my cousin suffered through... Ugh... I can't bear the thought of it even being in the yard next to yours! People just don't understand. I am SO, SO glad you have options as to where to plant your garden!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic GMO Seed Question - Is This Right? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page