NancyOH1
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Nancy
Columbus Ohio
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2020 :  07:16:53 AM  Show Profile
Well it is time that I need to clean out the my community garden plot for the Winter. My tomatoes did well this summer. The pepper plants did okay. Looking to start preparing for the 2021 growing year and see what I want to try and plant next year.

Nancy J Noble
Farmgirl No. 2508
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2020 :  07:33:18 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, glad to hear your tomato and pepper plants did good. Happy planning for next year.

Sara - FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2020 :  6:38:15 PM  Show Profile
It's official.. my garden is cleared and cleaned out...
Today it got in the low 50's, but the sun was shining so I braved the great outdoors and worked in my garden..
My shoes are muddy, my nose is running, my hands and nails are dirty,, and I am happy....a little gardening doeth the soul good!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4709 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4709 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  06:34:00 AM  Show Profile
My containers are empty and my garden is cleared out. The majority of the leaves have come down thanks to the strong winds we've had here these past few weeks. I am already walking around my front and back gardens and thinking about 2021 plantings. I want to try to grow more tomato plants next year and I'm going to see how to best protect them from thieves. I live in a townhouse that backs up to a forest preserve, so squirrels are my biggest problem. The chipmunks do a number on my plantings as well. We have had some chilly weather off and on but this week it will be spring again before our winter weather moves back in, possibly for good. Time to write in my gardening journal again about how everything did in autumn. I keep a photo journal as well to refer to next spring to hopefully avoid mistakes made this year. I do that every year and as all gardeners know, we never get it quite perfect!

Dawn in IL

"I cannot endure to waste anything so precious as autumnal sunshine by staying in the house. So I have spent almost all the daylight hours in the open air." Nathaniel Hawthorne
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  06:43:29 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, I'm right with you when it comes to putting this garden to bed and thinking about next year. I have trouble with squirrels too. Pecan and oak seedlings pop-up in my containers and all over the yard. They don't eat my herbs & flowers just dig and plant acorns & pecans.

The International Herb of the Year for 2021 is parsley so I'm putting the flat and curly leaf varieties on my plant to buy list. Will have to plant in containers to put on back deck because raised beds are full.

Edited by - YellowRose on Nov 02 2020 06:48:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

aidanm
Chapter Leader

25 Posts

Aidan
CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  10:50:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters! Long time no chat !!
I am hoping to start a porch garden in my tiny apartment. I was wondering if anyone knows of plants that do well in California in the fall/winter and are good for beginners (i think I have a brown thumb as the only thing I can keep alive are cacti)? It doesn't get. lower than 50 here in the winter.
Thanks for your help and gorgeous gardens everyone :)

Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2020 - Bibliophile & Blogger - farmgirlaidan.wordpress.com
Sister #7664
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  11:08:49 AM  Show Profile
Aidan, I live in northeast Texas and grow herbs in containers & raised beds. Most herbs should do great in your climate. As soon as onion sets show up at the fruit stand I'll buy a bunch or two to put in containers for green onions.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  11:57:50 AM  Show Profile
Aidan... you can't go wrong with Herbs... and Geraniums... just protect them from the frost and below freezing temps.. the nice thing about 'flower pot' gardens.. if it the weather is going to get dicey,, just through down an old plastic shower curtain or plastic table cloth in a corner of your apartment and bring your potted plants in till it is safe to put them out again.
Don't forget,, plants in pots need more frequent watering, just don't over water...
Have fun.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Garden Gate: Previous Topic 2020 Our Gardens Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page