Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Odds & Ends at the Year's End
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Odds & Ends at the Year's End Next Topic  

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  09:31:36 AM  Show Profile
The week between Christmas and New Year's finds me tying up loose ends around my home. A little of this and that to put my house in order for the coming New Year. Not deep cleaning just putting things right. Like straitening and cleaning out my pie safe where I keep my dried veggies and herbs. Next on to-do list is to straighten the bins of wool and fabric on my closet shelves. I seem to make a mess when I'm looking for a piece of wool or fabric. Should put it back in order when I am finished but I never seem to get around to it. I guess that's what the end of a year is for.

It's the time of reflection too. Looking back on the old year and ahead for the new but that's for another time - today and rest of the week I'm just putting things in order. Maybe on New Year's day I'll do a little reflecting.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  10:35:12 AM  Show Profile
Pretty much the same here, Sara. Tidying up, Semi-annual washing living room curtains, eating up all the leftovers my daughter sent home with us, I've been reflecting already on how I am so thankful that this year was better than last year. our "annus horriblis" as Queen Elizabeth said the year Diana died. Much to be thankful for this year.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  11:04:50 AM  Show Profile
No tying up loose ends yet for me. I didn't get my Tree up until a week and a half before Christmas and I always keep it up for a month...so I can
really enjoy it. I have only had a tiny bit of Christmas...as I always spend it with my youngest son and Family and since the day after Thanksgiving
they have all shared the Flu and the kids have had it twice. My hubby is frail and so I can not risk him getting sick...so we have stayed away.
My bedroom still has all their gifts in it and so it will be until I can go have Christmas with them.

I have however been praying to God that 2020 will be a much better year for us than last year. There were some real pain and sorrow in our lives
at the end of Summer and we are just now healing from that. Every year I pray for a Word from God that he will use to walk me through the
coming year. Last year's word was Change and it was indeed the perfect Word...this year God has given me the Word Self-Contol and I
have to chuckle because He has already started Teaching me volumes about it. I really must need extra help on this Fruit of the Spirit.
So far I have learned that it isn't so much that I need to control bad-habits or give up self-gratification but rather I need to surrender more of my
will to His will. I'm excited to be on this New Journey with Him this year.

I am very Thankful for Lessons Learned in 2019 and look forward to the same for 2020; as every year for me is about Journeying
through this life with Jesus by my side teaching and guiding me.

Love, Hugs, and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Dec 29 2019 11:09:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  5:24:53 PM  Show Profile
Sara, It just so happens that I have been doing the same thing over here in Florida. It got so warm after Christmas that it seemed like a good time to start putting things
right" again. It has been a slow process and as I do one thing, there ends up being 3 more that I want to add to the list. While moving an old dresser, I noticed that dry termites had been at work into the back corner leg. It is a good thing I decided to move it or I would not have seen what was going on. That meant all the drawers are emptied out, the dresser vacuumed, and tomorrow we take it to the termite control place where they fumigate it and it sits for 3 days. We have had two other old antiques get the same problem. Apparently, these Dry termites are sort of dormant and they literally come into the house inside the antique unseen when you purchase it. Then they suddenly begin to multiply and do their damage. So , now I have a lot to put right again with that project on top of the other things I was listing to do. Hmmmm, going to be a busy week ahead!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  03:01:13 AM  Show Profile
I spent the weekend putting away and clearing up. We have had rain most of the weekend. Making it a mess outside.
so started taking down the Christmas things. Then started cleaning up my craft room. While it was all a bit early for me, I am glad it is done. Happy New Year everyone.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  05:22:08 AM  Show Profile
Judith way to go tackling washing the drapes. Glad to hear the year was better for you and hoping the coming year is even better.

Peggy hope the coming year finds your family over the flu and healthy. Self-control is like learning patience (another fruit of the spirit) you have to go through something to be able to work on it. For me the word is peace and it has been since I lost my only child, Dustin, in 2017. All my choices are made with one thought in mind - will it help me hang on to my peace?

Winnie ain't it the truth - do one thing and it causes you to do more. Usually when I move a big piece of furniture I have to grab the broom and sweep away dust bunnies then clean the baseboard. Glad you caught the termite infestation before it did major harm.

Michele a clean craft room means one thing - get messing & crafting! And a Happy New Year to you!

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  08:07:55 AM  Show Profile
I leave our Christmas things up until January sixth---an old Christmas tradition and it takes a few days to get it all down and packed up and back in the attic. I get slower every year. Then I try to organize the closets and clean the house---still woodwork to paint. Spring comes so soon and then there is not much time for the house. I love the winter because I can get more done in the house. But I still don't get much done. Old age or laziness---not sure which. You are right Sara---the new year is a time to get things in order and reflect on the old year----plus make plans for the exciting new year coming in. May we all have a wonderful, blessed year in 2020.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  08:42:59 AM  Show Profile
You all are so encouraging with your posts.
I have not taken anything down yet as I still have my wonderful time with family until after the new year and the little ones enjoy it all. I will leave it up and get everything put away on the 6th. Then I will tidy up. The only rooms I have left to straighten and organize are my bedroom and craft storage closet. This year I will be ruthless in downsizing that and getting back into the swing of doing the things I enjoy. I have been doing some crochet in the evenings over the holiday. They aren't things I will be keeping. My main purpose was to use up ends of yarn I have instead of just getting rid of them.
So as I go through I will put projects I am going to do or finish in an organized way so I can get them done. I still have a quilt to finish for my 9 yr. old grand son and then I am on to another for the next grand son.
I don't have a word for the year but I do ask for things to be revealed as I go along each day.
I don't like to reflect on the old year but move forward into the new year with what I have learned, hoping to be growing each day.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 30 2019 08:54:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  09:48:56 AM  Show Profile
Barbara I also like working in the house in the winter without having to work outside too. I seem to move a little slower too these days and it takes me longer to get it done.

Denise, downsizing always takes work and letting go of our things can be hard but it is so worth it. Enjoy getting back to quilting and the other things you love to work on.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  2:11:12 PM  Show Profile
I have been kind of doing this. This last weekend we worked a little more on organizing our stuff and I unpacked two more boxes. The week between Christmas and New Years is always a blur so it's nice to finish up on a few things and start the new year off right. I can't believe we only have today and tomorrow and then we will officially be in 2020. This year went by so quickly.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  04:33:59 AM  Show Profile
Krista, how exciting to be in your new home at the start of the New Year. Have fun finding the right place for everything.

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  06:41:36 AM  Show Profile
I do the same thing this time of year. It just seems the perfect time to clean out and rearrange the house. Get rid of things we don't need. It is a cozy at home time of year anyway. I don't usually take the tree down until around the 6th of January anyhow. Then I putter all winter and try and get rid of a lot of stuff we don't need. Does anyone else here seem to have stuff just packed away and we never use it?? There is a lot of stuff I have had packed away for years. It is neat and out of the way but I could use the space. Why am I keeping it if I never use it? This is the year I will do it!! LOL

Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  07:01:30 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane like you I have a few boxes of stuff that I hold on to just in case I may need it again - though I haven't wanted or needed any of it for years and truth be known it maybe decades. Hope this year I can let it go.

Tomorrow is New Years Day and I will do what I have done for close to 40 years. Somewhere along the line I got the idea in my head that what I do on the first day of the new year I will keep up all year long. So, I do a little housework; start planning my garden; do something for fun - this year it will be working on a new wool applique project; exercise; and eat right. In a way I will be acting out my New Year's resolutions instead of writing them down. Works for me.

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  10:47:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara! The new year always seems to invigorate my heart and soul and desire for a fresh new start, to list all my desired to do's, and getting organized always seems to top the list! LOL! Perhaps one year I will master that plan - the intention is always there... however, after a challenging 2019, this new year I'm hoping to master just being present in the NOW! Not wasting a moment worrying, (or, at least fewer moments) or, getting stuck on the what ifs, or whys, renewing my faith and trust. I'm sad to say those have been tested this last year. Simply making the most of every day that has been given me, and being grateful for such a gift. Practicing gratitude every single day. Creating more meaningful moments. Remembering life is fragile and time is precious. Not taking a single moment for granted. I have found these tasks difficult at times as we all seem to get caught in routine, the every day stresses, worrying about the yesterdays or tomorrow's. Sooo, this year, my personal new year intentions are a bit different from new years past... may 2020 bring you all love, peace and contentment!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  11:13:14 AM  Show Profile
Well said, April, well said. To live in contentment & peace is my hope too.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  11:29:29 AM  Show Profile
My mother always said at this time of year that she resolved to never make new years resolutions. I pretty much feel the same as I hate to set myself up for failure but I would like to complete some of the many started projects that I have laying around. There will probably be many boxes going to Goodwill, too.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Odds & Ends at the Year's End Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page