Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  09:56:49 AM  Show Profile

Looking at these books this morning. I think I have read them all twice. They have a very calming way about them. If you haven't read "ESPECIALLY FATHER".see if you can find it, very funny, what a crazy early life she had.

NANCY JO

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  12:09:21 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo...I Love Gladys Taber Books...have two of them ANOTHER PATH and THE STILLMEADOW ROAD. They are the most charming of
reads. I will try to find ESPECIALLY FATHER because of your recommendation!!

Love, Hugs, and Happy New Year,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  12:19:16 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo a lovely collection of books. I haven't read her books but I remember reading her column in a woman's magazine decades ago. It may have been titled Stillmeadows.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on Dec 27 2019 12:19:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  12:33:46 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo...I checked out Especially Father and the cheapest copy was almost $30.00 so I chose to not get it.
I did, however, order two others of her books. Can't wait to get them...though it will be a couple of weeks.

Sara...you really should read them. They are Wonderful. I find that I read them mostly out on My Porch, in my
Rocker during the Summer Months, when I just want to sit back and enjoy The Lazy Hazy Days of Summer.
They are books that you don't just sit down and read Cover to Cover in one Weekend. Rather they are books
that you want to read 2-4 chapters at a time and savor...like a cool Sweet/Iced Tea on a Hot Summer's Day!
They are so Charming and fit in so well...with our Farmgirl Life-style.

Love, Hugs, and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010

Edited by - LadyInRed on Dec 27 2019 12:35:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  12:50:09 PM  Show Profile
I looked her books up on Amazon and ordered the Stillmeadow Cookbook - S&H, tax, all a little over $10. It's a used Library book so it should be in good condition. I have ordered used Library books before.

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  12:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Sara...that is where I ordered from too. I would love to know if her cookbook is just a cookbook or IF she weaves stories throughout.
Please let me know once you get it. Thanx!!

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  2:30:20 PM  Show Profile
I love Gladys Taber books too, I have 3 or 4 of them, I also got them used on the computer. They were in great shape . I love her home based stories, she loved Stillmeadow so much. All her dogs too. She just wrote wonderful home based books. Full of every day life. All the normal everyday things. She cooked so many things my Mom and Grandma made. I love her outlook on things. Home never goes out of style.

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  6:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, Well stated!!

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  01:37:09 AM  Show Profile
I love Gladys Taber books too---started reading them in the early eighties. I have quite a few of them---very charming. I haven't read them in several years though. I just love knowing I have them and that they are there if I need them---like an old friend.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  04:58:01 AM  Show Profile
I just looked on "THRIFT BOOKS". There are five pages of Taber books. just go to thrift books and at the top type in Gladys Taber and you can see which books they have. I order from them all the time. A lot of her books are under five dollars. I saw Especially Father and it was under six dollars. I have used this site for years, never had a problem.
Nancy Jo

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  08:11:23 AM  Show Profile
Ladies---I just checked my Gladys Taber books and I have four that I have two of. They are THE BOOK OF STILLMEADOW, THE STILLMEADOW ROAD, HARVEST OF YESTERDAYS, AND ESPECIALLY FATHER. If anyone wants these or just one of these I will be glad to mail them to you free of charge---just so they will be enjoyed. I buy them if I see them at book sales to have to give away. I had thought of offering them on here before, but I thought no one read Gladys Taber anymore except me. They are reprints of course---not the original books---but hey they all read the same unless you are a book collector. Email me your address after saying you want them on here and I will mail them as soon as I can.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  08:28:41 AM  Show Profile
Ladies---just checked some more of my books---I have another HARVEST OF YESTERDAYS---STILL COVE JOURNAL---THE STILLMEADOW ROAD in large print. Good grief---maybe I am a book hoarder after all. Hope someone will want these precious books.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  08:42:40 AM  Show Profile
Barbara a wonderful & generous gift of your books. You have a giving soul. I would like the Stillmeadow Road in big print. You have my address. Would you barter with me or let me pay for shipping.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  07:18:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara. I will send you the book as soon as I can get to a post office----will probably have hubby mail it on his way in from work. I know you will love it---especially if you liked her column. No I don't want to barter---I love to give people a wonderful book and let them enjoy it. Book mailing doesn't cost much and it makes me happy to give away the books.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  07:48:06 AM  Show Profile
Then Barbara I will say thank you and have a blessed day. You have blessed me.

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  11:33:32 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo...thank you for sharing about Thrift Books...I did not know about this Site. I went on and ordered two more Books.
So...now I have 3 New to Me...Gladys Taber Books Coming! I am so excited!!

blessings and hugs,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  03:45:42 AM  Show Profile
Winnie and I are doing a book exchange---she wants one of the Harvest of Yesterdays---still one left though.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  05:13:33 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, your welcome. I use the thrift book site a lot. If you order a certain amount you get free shipping too.
Nancy Jo

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  07:28:54 AM  Show Profile
Been emailed about the books. One certain lady is thrilled to have the rest of them. My lovely books will have a new home.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  10:04:37 AM  Show Profile
NancyJo,
I just love Gladys Taber's books. I have a collection of them and I would have to agree they are very pleasant to spend time reading.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  05:17:19 AM  Show Profile
I think I have a copy of every book Gladys Taber wrote, mostly found searching in antique stores. I love her books and have read them all two or three times.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  12:21:24 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo---I want to thank-you for opening this conversation and making me remember how much I love Gladys Taber. I had barely thought of her books during my twenty years in this holler and I had them all in different book shelves and I didn't even know where to find them. I dug them all out---I have ten--- and I will group them together and know what shelf they are on. Most of mine have the date and where I found them---mostly early 80,s and from the flea market---one says from a bookshop in South Carolina---I used to visit my sister there. Brings back so many memories. I plan to read them again as after thirty years I have forgotten much of it. My younger self liked to think of myself as a hillbilly Gladys Taber---I lived in an old hundred year old farmhouse at the time. Now I just see myself as an old holler farm woman that loves nature and dogs. I always buy Gladys Taber books at book sales because I feel sorry for them---I am usually at the sales after they have been on for a few days and there they sit---begging for me to buy them and love them and take them home---LOL. Then if I meet a Gladys fan I can give her some books if she needs them. So thanks Nancy Jo---you awoke old memories and gave me my Friend Gladys back.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  2:13:02 PM  Show Profile
Barbara, so happy to hear this and I know if you read them again you will love them. How nice that you have so many of them, and the best part you are giving them away, How really
really nice of you!!!
Nancy JO

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  6:27:08 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo---you are the one certain lady I wanted to have the extra books. I was just going to mail them to you and surprise you but I decided to make sure you want them. I am sending THE BOOK OF STILLMEADOW, HARVEST OF YESTERDAYS and STILLCOVE JOURNAL. Anyway---I thought I should tell you I am mailing them and make sure you want them. It would make me happy if you do want them.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2020 :  05:30:22 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, I mailed your book on Tuesday so you should get it by Friday? I hope you enjoy reading it and I am looking forward to reading Harvesting by Gladys Taber in our little book exchange!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2020 :  5:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Peggy I received my cookbook several days ago and have been looking through it. At the beginning of each chapter she writes a page or two. After some recipes she adds a personal note. Got a kick out of when in one recipe it states you can use your clean hands to mix. Never that I can think of have I read a recipe cautioning the reader to use clean hands - that's a hoot.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Gladys Taber Books Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page