saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2020 :  10:54:14 PM  Show Profile
Danyel, I’d love to hear what meat recipes you put up. I’m very new to canning meats and would love some recipe ideas.

I’m not real sure what you mean by a resource for winter eating. I see you are in PA so probably you aren’t growing a garden? Do you have space for a root cellar? The months of February through April or May are my weak gaps too. I keep striving to succeed in growing greens through this season but have yet to master that. I have a meal here and there, but I want abundance, like I have in the summer. Winter squash are my backbone, and lettuces/greens (beets, collards, kales, cabbage) I’m constantly starting and somehow losing or getting just a few meals from them. One of these years I will conquer the weeds, gophers, dogs digging up gophers, and simply lack of growth and I will enjoy a successful winter garden to carry me into summer!
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  11:52:23 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I can chicken- pork- venison- plus I have canned hamburger, making my taco meat, pizza burger meat, sloppy joes - beef- and last year added ham. I also make stew, however until it’s done the vegetables are a little soft, but good.
I would like to find a resource on meal planning for the seasons, like more items to make for winter meals with crops I would normally have available, better spring ideas for the yummy items coming on, that kind of idea. Does that sound crazy?
I am looking for additional ways to use items like root vegetables for winter eating , plus going to start a cold frame or two, my friends was able to grow lettuce mix all winter here in PA becomes of how mild the winter was, would love to pick lettuce for a salad or sandwich without worrying about a recall, yikes!

Also learning how to grow sprouts and micro greens, however also aware of not always eating them before they are fully developed so still have a crop. Lol.

Always willing to learn another way to help my family and be resourceful.

Blessings
Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  12:29:01 PM  Show Profile
Ah! Now I understand “resources “!

I have two favorite books along that line.

Recipes From the Root Cellar by Andrea Chesman is chock full of recipes. She also authored a book called Serving Up the Harvest which I don’t have. But this time of year the Root Cellar book is my most used resource.

I have an ancient copy of Carla Emery’s Encyclopedia of Country Living which I turn to for odd things or new ways to use an item I have an over abundance of. I love that book! Sometimes I get lost in it, reading odd things like how to make baking soda, or how to bury the dead! It’s got everything in it.

I send you all my support and encouragement on the lettuce-growing! I have only recently discovered how rewarding this crop is, and there is just nothing like the flavor of homegrown greens freshly picked from the garden, especially in the doldrums of winter and early spring!

Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  2:15:12 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Sara! I am going to go looking for the book The Root Cellar- sounds like what I am looking for. Good luck to you as well as you expand your growing seasons and the add on lettuce.

One reason I am so intrigued about growing lettuce- our local produce stand sells her “leaf lettuce” heads with the roots on- she actually keeps them in water for you so when you take them home you can do the same , I can honestly say we don’t waste any as we can pick from it in water for days- I keep it in the fridge and change the water every other day.

Fascinating.

Blessings
Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  3:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Danyel! I do that too, and also with celery, and onions that have sprouted. I cut off the green parts and works just fine!
Sara, I have the Carl Emery book and am also a fan of her daughter Esther Emery. She has posted several videos under Fouch o matic Off Grid, which chronicles their life in Idaho from yurt to timber frame house.
Sadly, there are no current videos, but there are several about how she worked their somewhat pathetic land into a productive garden.

Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  4:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Lisa have you ever placed the bottom part of celery into water to sprout it and grow celery? I ask this seriously, I saw where you could do that, maybe it was a joke? But they showed different items that could be grown that way?

We had a ladies get together today and I cut up two stalks of celery- the tops I am going to finish cleaning and maybe make a batch of vegetable broth? Never have done that either. What all would you put into a vegetable broth? I will pressure can it when I am done.

Blessings
Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202

Edited by - danyel on Feb 22 2020 4:45:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6792 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6792 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  5:09:04 PM  Show Profile
Danyel, I never seem to make vegetable broth the same way each time I can it. Celery, onion, garlic, carrots, and fresh/dried herbs are my go to veggies. Have used my dried vegetables when I didn't have enough fresh veggies on hand when I was ready to make the broth.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  06:20:01 AM  Show Profile
I just love celery tops for veggie broth! I do as Sara says, nearly any savory veggie you have handy. I’ve read about collecting all those ends and scraps in the freezer until you get enough for broth. But if you are shopping to fill out your ingredients, fennel adds a very lovely flavor to it.

Lisa, thanks for sharing about Esther Emery, I’ll look her up!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  08:53:13 AM  Show Profile
Danyel, yes that is how I start my celery bottoms. After a week or so you should see some rooting. Then I put in soil, and cut the greens as needed. I have never had them get to full blown stalk mode, but have had a few small ones, and the greens are nice in soups and stocks etc.
My biggest excitement this winter has been a sweet pepper plant that I overwintered. Getting peppers here and there, when they did horrible in the garden over summer. What the heck
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6792 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6792 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  09:14:28 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, your peppers are beautiful and such a blessing in the dead of winter.

I'll have to give rooting celery a try. Having the leafy part handy for broths and soups would be great. You can also make celery salt with the leaves. Dry the leaves and mix with salt of choice - I use Kosher salt.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  11:41:00 AM  Show Profile
I’m going to try celery rooting too! Thanks for sharing that tip, and the celery salt too!,

Lisa, that’s a funny story about the pepper plant!
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  12:52:19 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Lisa and Sara. I will even enjoy just some leafy tops! Mine were put into water last evening, should I place into a sunny window or just leave on the counter top? Those peppers are beautiful! I keep the scrap ends of celery and onion in the freezer for soups and stews. Plan to get my dehydrator out and put to use, I dry celery, carrots, but want it dry even more. Have you made
Seasoned bread crumbs? Or croutons? I think I saw a post on here somewhere about dehydrating?

Thank you
Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6792 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6792 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  1:21:03 PM  Show Profile
Danyel here's the link to "What are You Drying?"
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=66900

Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  4:24:58 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Sara, there are over 20 pages so I have some reading to catch up on.

Blessings
Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  06:47:18 AM  Show Profile
I am so interested in what everyone is talking about here. Because I live near a basic grocery store, I tend to only shop for the week and stock up when things I use go on sale. However, my pantry is pretty sparse by, many standards. With just the two of us, and the fact that we eat mostly fresh everything, and the fact that Florida has fresh produce mostly year round for very reasonable prices, stocking up on a lot of groceries has not been a priority of mine. But I like the idea of doing better and keeping basics on hand beyond what I am doing now.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2020 :  12:16:53 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, I understand what you are saying, being from California. It’s easy for us to eat fresh all the time and kind of take that for granted. Unfortunately, I’m a hopeless food hoarder anyway!,

I don’t know about you all but my prepping instincts have kicked into high gear with this Coronavirus thing. Not that I’m afraid of the virus, but the threat of panic which could upset our normal. So I wrote a healthy list of staples and made a big shopping trip to fortify my stores this weekend. I reorganized shelves, labeled jars and gained some sense of security, knowing I could do just fine on what I have for a number of weeks.

Now I know there won’t be a need for it, just like the old saying: if you take an umbrella, it won’t rain!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2020 :  12:31:59 AM  Show Profile
Danyel, a funny thing happened, I was browsing in Barnes and Noble yesterday and I came across a book called Regrow Your Veggies, which is all about sprouting produce as you all have been discussing! You can see it here:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/regrow-your-veggies-melissa-raupach/1130541001?ean=9781620083680#/

It looked quite entertaining and had a lot of foods you can grow this way in your kitchen.
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2020 :  11:00:27 AM  Show Profile
So neat ! Thank you Sara! I will check it out. Had to throw out my celery because the cat thought it was an extra water dish for him! Not happy! So note to self, block the cat from my plantings! I love books, prefer them over digital.

Blessings
Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6792 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6792 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2020 :  3:21:45 PM  Show Profile
If you are interested in re-growing vegetables I suggest you do buy a book. Here's my story of why it's important to know what you are doing. Yesterday I ordered "NO-Waste Kitchen Gardening" by Katie Elzer-Peters on Amazon Prime. It was delivered today.

I thought I would get ready for the book by saving the roots of ice berg and Romaine lettuces that I prepared for salads. The book came about an hour after I did it and according to the book I didn't save enough of the lettuces. Seems like you need the root & 3" of lettuce to insure you don't cut off the growing tip. Who knew there was such a thing as a growing tip. I'll know better the next time I have new lettuce. Which will be later this week when my groceries will delivered.

From now on when I have a vegetable I hadn't re-grown before I will check out the book. The roots were a waste today - I fed them to my wee worm farm.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2020 :  09:11:33 AM  Show Profile
Ha ha ha!! Danyel, I love good cat stories like that!

My daughter’s cat once bit the top off of a potted cactus in my kitchen. Sara, it must have been the growing tip, because it caused the cactus to branch right there which, in hindsight, was not a bad idea, aesthetically speaking.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  9:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Well I don’t know, but I’m beginning to think that I’m alone out here in California in terms of self isolation from the virus. I don’t see much talk about it anywhere.

I’m taking serious stock of my pantries and food stores as the craziness continues in our grocery stores. It’s day 4 here, and hubby barely found a gallon of milk in town. That’s something you can’t store up on, tho I did start a habit of keeping boxed soy milk as a backup which works for me but he MUST have his glass of milk with dinner.

Are you all under normal routines out there? Everyone well?
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  10:41:36 PM  Show Profile
Sara, you are not alone. My husband and I live in Southern California (West Los Angeles area) and the stores have all nearly been striped (especially dairy, bread, pasta, beans, paper goods and cleaning products). My daughter in Arizona (west Phoenix area) discovered a week ago, if you arrive at the store before they open you have a pretty good chance of getting some of the items on your shopping list. Unfortunately that is not the case anymore, now the parking lot is full an hour before opening and the line wraps around the store. Sprouts in Arizona has two guards out front and are only letting three at a time in and Costco midday had a long line wrapped around the store and looked like their were only letting a handful at a time in. My family is well stocked (except for toilet paper, which we will need in about a month) and I am hopeful that this craziness will calm down a bit once everyone else is stocked up.

Do you have any farms in the area, if so, you may want to check if they are selling milk.

Take care and be safe!

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  09:30:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jana, now I don’t feel quite as isolated. When you just stay on the farm you start imagining that maybe YOU are the crazy one, and the world really is operating normally. I’m glad you are well prepared. I feel pretty secure too, in terms of provisions. I’m just praying I can keep my elderly mother healthy.

Do you think at some point we will start turning to reusable toilet paper alternatives??
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  5:36:16 PM  Show Profile
A farm girl has to do what a farm girl has to do! lol Rip up those old sheets, use wash clothes, we will get through it. Around here it is bad too. I am always stocked up so have not had to go to town. I just wish my milk cow was not dry. I have two beefers that have calved and I kind of drool wishing i could have fresh milk. haha. Roll up those sleeves girls and make the best of it.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  7:05:12 PM  Show Profile
What ever happened to concentrated milk? When I had milk-drinking kids around, before I became acquainted with the neighbors cow, I went grocery shopping once a month. I bought quarts of concentrated milk, each quart made three quarts when water was added. It froze well, tasted like milk, and was very convenient. I can't find it anymore so I guess it's no longer available. Too bad -- it would come in handy now.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic A Well Stocked Pantry Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page