treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  05:38:27 AM  Show Profile
Yes Denise potatoes can be froze. I make hashbrown patties all the time. Parboil your potatoes, shred them, make your patties (I use my burger maker) put on a cookie sheet and freeze.than layer then between waxed paper and freeze in ziplocks.wonderful for when you are in a hurry. I also make huge batches of twice baked potatoes and freeze in meal size portions. Wedges are prepared so I just need to crisp up.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  05:50:21 AM  Show Profile
Julie thanks for the "how-to-do" hash browns and twice baked potatoes.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  1:01:25 PM  Show Profile
This is a great post! I especially like to stock up during the winter months, so I do not have to go to the store as often.

I keep my freezer full. We have a chest freezer in the basement since the one with our kitchen fridge is so tight. I go to a local butcher and stock up. I keep chicken breast, ground beef, ground turkey, stew meat, pork tenderloins, and roasts on hand. I try to buy local and organic. I keep onions, garlic, sweet and white potatoes on stock, in the basement as well, since it stays cool. I have a kitchen pantry and a basement pantry. I keep pasta, rice and can goods such as peas, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. I can whip up anything at a moment’s notice. Weekly or bi-weekly, I buy greens. I also keep vinegar on hand, and use it the same way Sara does.

Keeping herbs, spices, and vinegars such as balsamic in the pantry is good too. I also keep Worcestershire, Tabasco, pimentos and olives on hand.

Keeping a stocked kitchen and pantry saves money in so many ways. Less gas, less trips to the store, stocking up on things when it things are on special, Also makes it easier to make a good meal when you’re tired instead of ordering less than healthy takeout.

Fresh eggs on hand from our chicken girls are a plus, too.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2134 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2134 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2020 :  8:49:52 PM  Show Profile
I have a small pantry in the laundry room and two full chest freezers. I think we could go six months without going to the store, but there could be some strange meals during the last month.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2020 :  03:06:36 AM  Show Profile
Nicole you have organized your storage areas really well. Everything has a place and is in it. Must say I'm a little envious of you girls with basements. They must be great for storing root veggies.

Judith I've put together some meals that were an odd mixture but turned out okay and then there are the ones that the dog wouldn't even touch.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2020 :  4:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Sara, shhhhhhh we don't talk about those that the dog would not eat!!!! lol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2020 :  12:11:25 AM  Show Profile
Michelle

I ordered Gladys Taber's Stillmeadow cookbook and have been scanning through it. At the back of the book is a few pages titled Magic Shelves. It's about four shelves she had in her basement for go-to foods for unexpected company. We FarmGirls just call it our well stocked pantries. A couple of things on the shelves surprised me. Can tamales - I have them in my pantry - I like them on crackers as a snack - but wouldn't think a famous author would have it in her pantry. And can chili. Wonder if the chili is Wolf Brand - my favorite. There's a recipe in her book for can tamales and can chili. That's it just heat both and put chili over tamales. Gotta love a cookbook that has recipes for cooking lobster and then one for heating can food.

She stocked two of each item on the shelves and kept a record of when she used them so they could be replaced. She told about the time she made a dish with canned beans. She had stocked two cans of beans that were different kinds but she used them anyway. Gladys wrote she should have stocked two of the same kind instead of one of each.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2134 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2134 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2020 :  8:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Canned tamales are a must in my pantry for my emergency company recipe that uses cooked chicken (in freezer) canned tamales, canned corn, and a bottle of chili sauce.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2020 :  11:14:26 PM  Show Profile
Judith, Thanks for the recipe. I'll never look at a can of tamales the same again.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2134 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2134 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2020 :  11:38:19 AM  Show Profile
The recipe is from the Sunset cookbook Mom gave me as a young married. The only time I use canned tamales. Real tamales might work but they don't last long around here and you wouldn't have all that lovely greasy sauce that comes with canned. I made green corn tamales before I left for Texas and they are all gone already.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2020 :  11:47:45 AM  Show Profile
Judith I made mini tamales one time. After greasing a muffin tin line each cup with mesa and fill with a meat mixture. Bake in oven. When I get around to it I'll dig the recipe out.

Is green corn un-ripe corn or is it a color like the blue corn?

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2134 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2134 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2020 :  12:30:08 PM  Show Profile
Sara -- Ripe corn, either cut off the cob or frozen. Tamales aren't difficult, just time-consuming. The corn ones are a little easier as you don't make a filling; the corn and masa are mixed together and spread on the corn husks.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  10:37:55 AM  Show Profile
So fun catching up on all your pantry stories!

Judith, about living from your pantry for 6 months, have you ever put that question to the test? My DIL has taken a challenge two years now, I think in September but that doesn’t matter, where you eat only from your pantry stores. She says it helps to identify the things you really need/use, and where you waste a lot of money.

I don’t always give something up at Lent, but one year, when I was about to take up the responsibility of running the church food closet, I decided to challenge myself to “ walk in the shoes” of the poor I would be serving. I made myself a budget of $20 per week for all groceries, and lived off my freezers and pantries for the 40 days. It was very eye-opening, and made me very aware of the luxuries I have the privilege of buying when I want to, like coffee beans and a bottle of wine.

My full pantries definitely make me feel rich.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2134 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2134 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  11:16:23 AM  Show Profile
Sara -- we did that last year when the freezers were both full. I said we're eating from what we have and only buying eggs and milk. It worked well for a couple of months until DH found a good sale on chicken. We're well stocked up now so I might do it again.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9244 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9244 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  3:45:55 PM  Show Profile
Julie, I'll have to find a recipe for twice baked potatoes. They would be great for just the two of us as I try to cook small portions so we don't have a lot of leftovers.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  9:40:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

My rule is first in - first out. Put the new stuff in the back, and move it forward as you use your storage. My second rule is, never, ever, ever let your son or husband put the groceries away. They will ignore the first rule and years later you'll find all sorts of things on the shelves you didn't know you had!!! LOL!

I did keep a note pad at one time to help me keep a tally of what I actually had in my pantry. It helped me tremendously when grocery shopping. Unfortunately, the pantry and cupboards have gotten way out of control over the past few years. Today I found store bought organic veggie stock in cartons that's 6 years old! Yuck! Guess what I'm going to be doing when we are snowed in this winter!!! ;)

We have two really deep cupboards that were built in where stair wells once existed. My hubby used to use post-it notes on the doors that coordinated with each of the shelves, listing what was on each shelf to help him find things and remember where to put them. I still use that method today - it really helps!

I keep meats and soups in one cupboard, veggies and fruits in another. My grains, corn and beans are in another cupboard closer to the kitchen. Then in our pantry, which is the spare room, I have shelving units divided into the following:

- cleaning products, detergents, wraps and paper.
- herbs, spices, condiments, oils, vinegars, honeys, maple syrup and other staples
- teas, coffee, juice
- crackers, cereals, pastas
- mixes, baking items
- tomato products, sauces
- pickles, peppers and preserves
- long term emergency food storage
- electrical appliances used occasionally
- food packaging and disposable baking pans for when we bring food to gatherings or send it home with friends
- extra linens and fabric items.

We are blessed to have ample storage space in the bathroom, so that is where I stock up on t.p., bar soap, body washes, shampoos, conditioners, tooth paste, tooth brushes, other personal care items, emergency and health items, etc. I try to keep 3 - 6 months worth of these items on hand at all times.

The laundry room stores all of our laundry supplies as well as extra wraps and cleansers. Our well-stocked freezer is in there, as well. It's chock full of locally grown organic meats; garden-grown veggies; butter; frozen farm-fresh organic eggs from a family friend; frozen juices; bread items (homemade and store bought); premade pies muffins, quick breads and donuts; frozen apples and other fruits; leftovers for "smorgasbord surprise" nights; and a few premade casseroles to pull out when unexpected company comes! It's a small freezer, but it sure can pack away quite a bit!

I thank God for these provisions -and for the wisdom to think ahead! Having 6 months or more of supplies is a great blessing. Times hit hard when my husband got sick, but knowing we had pretty much everything we needed on hand was great peace of mind. And because I have mostly staple items (and a lot of great farmgirl recipes and cookbooks!), it was super easy to get creative - my family ate very well, indeed! This Christmas we ate and celebrated like kings and I only had to buy the roast! THAT was AWESOME!

Oh! And I have storage bins hidden under my buffet which hold a few bottles of ginger ale and Gatorade in case anyone becomes ill, as well as water, wine, etc.

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2020 :  04:57:30 AM  Show Profile
Nini you do have a well stocked pantry. You're right if you have the staples you can pretty much whip up any recipe in reason.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2020 :  06:03:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sara... I have gathered quite a bit over the last few years. I just wish it was as organized as when I started! LOL! It's just so much healthier and easier to pull it off my shelf when we're on the go-go-go as we are, and I'm always happy to share! Originally being from New England, I was always taught: be prepared! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9244 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9244 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2020 :  2:49:30 PM  Show Profile
Well Nini you have given me lots to use as an example. Thank you for sharing all your insights into storage.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

OneRedZinnia
True Blue Farmgirl

529 Posts

Debbie
Goodrich Texas
USA
529 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2020 :  5:24:43 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for sharing your methods of pantry preparedness!! Living not far from the Gulf, we always make sure to prepare during hurricane season. We keep a generator on hand to keep the freezers running when the power goes out because there is no telling how long it will be out during those kind of storms. I keeps my pantry stocked for the most part year round. I have discovered 'grocery pickup' and I love it. I have enjoyed reading through all the posts! Being in the South, we do not have basements! I envy all the space you all have!

~ Deb aka OneRedZinnia ~
Farmgirl Sister #5585
June 2018 Farmgirl of the Month

“Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.” Psalm 34:8
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2020 :  12:34:44 PM  Show Profile
Nini, you sound like a true survivalist! I really admire that.

All of you seem to be in snow or storm country, and really know the importance of being prepared for anything. Where I live we are rarely threatened by the weather, but one can never be sure what tomorrow will bring, and trying to learn and catch up after the fact is not a model for survival. So I still prepare for that power outage or disaster, just to feel I have some level of control over life. And also, for me it’s an expression of my liberty and freedom, and my appreciation that I can do whatever I want to do, knowing that in many parts of the world this is not so.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2020 :  10:39:21 AM  Show Profile
Sara … Noooo… Not a survivalist...Not in the traditional sense... Just a girl with two very hungry men to feed daily and an extended family who love to drop by for a good home cooked meal every now and then! LOL! But thank you... Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2020 :  12:43:13 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for all the wonderful information above. With once a month retirement funds coming in, I find it necessary to find a more organized and frugal way of keeping a variety of foods in the house. First I would bulk purchase items on sale and now canning, freezing and dehydrating have become the norm. This year my goal is to try to make more of my own breads and pastas.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2020 :  7:46:27 PM  Show Profile
I so enjoyed reading on every ones pantry organization and staples; currently I am working on paper supplies- not plates for everyday use, but for the emergency power outages, the like. Discovered my number one item I need stock up on is toilet paper! At one time I had at least three months of paper supplies on hand - but the supply was depleted and now it’s a goal to replace.

Aiming for no less then one year supply of food, currently planing menus from the freezer for one month to see what’s at the back, lol. Then restock, I try to put as much into jars as possible. Decreasing freezer use, and in my case waste.

I enjoy stocking up on meats when they go on sale and by spending one long day canning I have many a meal and it’s quicker and healthier then pre packaged .

Does any one have a good resource for eating in season for the fall- winter - early spring?
This is an area I need to improve in.

Loved the posts. Best wishes to each.
Farmgirl sister 4202
Danyel

Edited by - danyel on Feb 21 2020 7:47:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2020 :  9:28:53 PM  Show Profile
Danyel I enjoyed reading about your well stocked pantry and plans for the future.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic A Well Stocked Pantry Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page