Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  07:02:40 AM  Show Profile

I saw that this was on over the weekend but I missed it. Anyway this is my Anne Doll next to her book. See the little Bookmark hanging from the book? That was a gift from my Fourth grade teacher. She read to us everyday, and she had this little guy hanging from her book. We all thought it was so cute and come Christmas she gave everyone in the class the same bookmark. I can't believe I still have it after all these years.
Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving, now on to Christmas.
Nancy Jo

NANCY JO

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  11:35:58 AM  Show Profile
Nancy JO...your Anne Shirley is so Adorable!! But that Bookmark is Priceless!!! I have seen and read ALL the Anne Shirley movies and books...and I never get tired of them!! I do believe that
Anne Shirley and I are Kindred Spirits!! (says every girl who has ever loved her stories). Thanks for sharing her with us...now I want to reread all those books again! LOL

Love, Hugs, and Christmas Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  2:47:06 PM  Show Profile
NancyJo,
A precious gift that bookmark! I just love Anne of Green Gables. I have all the movies and books.
Have always loved binge watching those movies. Maybe time to do it again.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2019 :  11:43:34 AM  Show Profile
I loved PBS "Anne of Green Gables" series with Meghan Follows as Anne. I know they've done a more recent version, but it just can't compare to the 1985 version! Your doll is beautiful. The books are wonderful and once in awhile I go to the children's section at the library to get one to read again.

Dawn in IL

"To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake it is necessary to stand out in the cold."
- Aristotle

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Dec 01 2019 11:48:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2019 :  11:49:43 AM  Show Profile
Dawn...I totally agree with you on Meghan Follows doing Anne Shirley. There just isn't any other version that compares! Even in the Books...that is who I picture when reading.
Glad you are a FAN of Mehgan also!! Is it Fellows or Follows???

Have a Beautiful, Love Filled CHRISTmas Ya'all,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2019 :  12:04:30 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, according to the internet it is spelled Follows. Who knows if they are right or not?

Dawn in IL

"To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake it is necessary to stand out in the cold."
- Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2019 :  2:04:46 PM  Show Profile
A Meghan fan here too! I think she does a wonderful portrayal of Anne. I think of her also when reading the books.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 01 2019 2:05:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2019 :  11:53:33 AM  Show Profile
That is such a beautiful doll, Nancy Jo! Your bookmark guy is such a treasure. Did she make them? It looks like it would have taken her quite some time. He is cute!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2019 :  2:15:11 PM  Show Profile
My friend in high school always loved these books and told me about them. I have the set---but only in paperback. They are wonderful.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2019 :  6:02:00 PM  Show Profile
'Anne of Green Gables' has always been one of my favorites! That doll is beautiful, Nancy Jo. I love red hair and freckles. I never knew why the character, Anne, thought that there was something wrong with her except for the fact she didn't understand that she was unique, in a good way. Of course, red heads were picked on back in that day. It is telling in what Mark Twain, a red head himself, said about it ~ "When red-haired people are above a certain social grade their hair is auburn." Now we dye it red because we believe it is beautiful, and it is!

That bookmark is adorable!

Keep shining!
Natalie

"Ask what makes you come alive and go do it." ~Howard Thurman

Edited by - NatChap on Dec 03 2019 6:03:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  12:20:17 PM  Show Profile
Natalie...one of the things that have always puzzled me about Red Heads is?...Why do some True Red Heads have freckles and some don't??? I was in the don't category!
And Why do some True Red Heads gray as they age and some don't loose their red hair ever (it might fade a little bit but not gray)??? My cousin Nancy, My little Sister and
I went to gray hair. One of my best friends (the same age as me) has remained a red head at age 68. Just thought I would throw those out there and see if anyone knows! LOL

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010

Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2019 :  5:54:29 PM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn,

I have been looking for a moment to reply because there is so much to say about Red Heads! Before I married in 2012, I had returned to college to become biology science teacher and studied some on the subject of genetics. Though, I'm certainly not an expert on genetics. People with freckles have less melanin in their skin and more likely to get sunburned. Apparently, you have more melanin in your skin as you do not have freckles. Melanocytes are responsible for the pigmentation in skin and hair. Some people's melanocytes continue to produce pigment for a longer period as they age while for many of us they stop producing pigment and our hair greys.
On the maternal side of my family are many red heads as well as brunettes. My grandmother was a brunette with light olive skin while two of her sisters were red heads with freckles. One of her sisters had been told when she was around thirteen years old by a girl at school that if she put cow manure on her face that it would get rid of her freckles. I laughed when my grandmother told me about it for which she responded, "You laugh because you didn't have to share the same bed with her!" We laughed some more. I miss that lady!
Red heads are beautiful!

Keep shining!
Natalie

Edited by - NatChap on Dec 09 2019 6:07:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2019 :  12:29:37 AM  Show Profile
Natalie...thanks for the Biology Lesson on Redheads and skin pigmentation. I was never a science buff!
I got a real kick out of your Grandma's Story about the Cow Manure. I laughed out loud! Several of our Pastor's
girls had red hair and freckles and they hated those freckles so much!! They thought God was mean to them
when here I was a redhead too but had no freckles. I bet if I talked to their parents they would have a few stories
to share about the crazy things those girls tried too. LOL The funny thing is...I had 3 boys and non of them have
red hair but the middle son has a red beard and all three have strong red highlights in their dark brown hair.

Anyway, I use to always get comments on my hair. I had an English Red Setter Dog who had the exact same shade
of red as my hair...and whenever I walked him people would about have a car wreck looking back at us as they
drove by. One of my kids School teacher said that my red hair was the same color as her horse's tail. LOL
And Old Men use to give me poetry they heard about redheads. And I'm talking strangers in a coffee shop.
I always enjoyed being a redhead because I got a lot of attention from it. And what girl doesn't like that...
unless you're the girl with the freckled face too. LOL

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010

Go to Top of Page

Fleur
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

11 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2019 :  01:53:55 AM  Show Profile
How nice to find other Kindred Spirits! Funny enough, I just rewatched the Kevin Sullivan “Anne” last Friday (I just needed something wholesome and lovely for my rumpled up soul).
I’ll only watch the first movie though, not the sequels .
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2019 :  2:36:14 PM  Show Profile
I have red hair. It has darkened down some and I have a bit of gray, but not much. I had freckles but oddly enough I out grew them. Oh Lord was I happy lol! No one else had it until my Grandson was born. He has the red hair and beard. He is almost 22 now. No sign of it changing! I love it. The funny thing was when I was in school out of the whole school only 3 of us had red hair. Now it seems to be all over the place!

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2019 :  11:37:39 AM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn,

What a beautiful shade of red you were blessed having, and I can imagine the heads turning with your matching English Red Setter, even just you!
For a couple of years I opted to be a redhead because I love that shade so well. Though I hadn't thought of it before it may have been very similar to an English Red Setter. Being a natural brunette with auburnish highlights and the very light olive complexion of my grandmother some people actually believed my farce! I never lied about it. When asked I told them that yes it is natural, and right out of a box!

Keep shining!
Natalie

Edited by - NatChap on Dec 12 2019 11:53:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2019 :  11:42:46 AM  Show Profile
Fleur,

Anne of Green Gales is such a step back in time and a comforting story/movie. The classic is my favorite and not sequels so much. It just doesn't get any better than the first. This forum is such a delightful escape in this age. Luckily, now we can use technology to find kindred spirits. It still tickles me that I can order chickens online for my very simple world.

Keep shining!
Natalie

Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2019 :  11:50:03 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jane,

Another blessed redhead! Maybe your freckles were kind of like "summer freckles". It's a treat to see traits show up in the offspring of your family. My favorite cousin, (not just because of his glorious, flaming red hair but his fun personality and good soul) is the only one out of three boys to have it. It may be that more sightings of red hair has a lot to do with the boxed color because it is so wonderfully unique!

Keep shining!
Natalie

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anne of Green Gables Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page