Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Felt bad couple of weeks - tetanus shot :(
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Felt bad couple of weeks - tetanus shot :( Next Topic  

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2019 :  3:20:20 PM  Show Profile
SO, I have been MIA a few weeks. I did a klutz-y thing. Day before Halloween, I was walking a little girl and her mom who had visited to the door. I was looking down at the little girl, talking, and tripped on the rug by the door, which was curling up, and fell into my antique metal tinder box that sits by the door. It is from the Victorian era, and looks like a wooden box, but it is all metal with claw feet. I use it to hold our “chicken shoes” by the door, so we don’t have boots, all stinky and mud and crud covered, where everyone comes in. . Anyway, I ran into this big heavy box with my shin. The metal trunk did not budge. OUCH! I ended up with a six inch-long gash on my shin bone. My daughter helped me clean it up, and it hurt, but my jeans were not ripped through so I figured I was okay. Had friends over Halloween but was not my usual self. By Friday, I needed to go the doctor. It hurt - and looked, well, gross. Apparently, I could have used stitches but missed my 24 hour window (I didn’t realize it was so bad, and Halloween we had a horrible nor’easter so I did not want to get out).

The worst part of it was the tetanus shot. I had one about 20 years ago. At that time, it hurt so horribly that I remember it to this day! I ended up having a horrible reaction - with redness, swelling, and basically an allergic reaction. I was told then to be careful if I ever needed one again. However, being a gardener with chickens, a tetanus shot was needed, especially with what I did to my leg. Happily I had no reaction, and the shot was no worse than any other. But - my leg took a few weeks to feel better and after the tetanus shot, I felt pretty sluggish and just not my usual self. All better now, but it took me a good three weeks to feel back to my self. . My leg is still sore but the cut healed up well. Back to my high energy, and glad I won’t need another tetanus shot for ten more years!

I thought this was a clever tip - put the date you have a tetanus shot as a “contact” in your phone. That way, when your phone updates or you get a new one, that info is transferred with you.

Missed you all. With my leg it took me longer to get my chores done!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  01:29:20 AM  Show Profile
Accidents happen, sorry to hear that. Always amazes me how the skin and rip but yet the jeans are just fine. lol Glad your doing well.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  06:21:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Michele, Right? At least I am a tough ol’ bird, lol. Nothing broke. We moved the box over and I got a new rug that doesn’t curl up. And I won’t need a tetanus shot for ten years! The doctor said that first one I had twenty years ago must have been administered in the wrong place (it was, should be in the top part of the shoulder muscle) or a bad batch. A good friend of mine is a vet and we were hanging out that day and she knew I was having a reaction. It must have been a fluke thing. So last month we all had sinus infections and then that happened, so I am good to go now, LOL!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  12:10:30 PM  Show Profile
I get reactions from every tetanus shot I get. Fever, sore arm, and sleepy. According to the doctor it means I don't have natural immunity. On the other hand, I never got a reaction from a smallpox vaccination so I have a good natural immunity to it. Not that it matters much now since smallpox has been eradicated.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  2:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, I am so sorry to hear this. I can only imagine how bad that hurt. I'm glad you were able to get your shot with no reaction and are now starting to feel better. Those tetanus shots are some yucky shots. I had to have one with each pregnancy. My last one was a year ago so I should be good for awhile as well!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  7:48:59 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, when I got my tetanus shot at the emergency room they told me that a "tetanus" shot now is called DTP for Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis. So if this is the one they gave you are protected from Diphtheria and Pertussis in addition to tetanus. Tetanus hides out in the dirt too. Diphtheria is on the rise again. Find out if they gave you a DTP shot. Glad you are feeling better, but mishaps like this are so annoying and inconvenient. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  09:33:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Annie, yes, that is the one. Good point. I will make note of that.

I am feeling so much better. My leg still is sore if something or someone (like a dog) bumps into it, but I am feeling much better, just “behind”. I was so tired from the shot though and felt it lasted a good two weeks afterward.

Now just need to get caught up!

Thanks for all the nice wishes! XOXO

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  12:39:44 PM  Show Profile
Nicole,

Glad you are feeling better now! Tetanus shots can be a booger to get over though my last one a couple of years ago didn't cause any symptoms like the one I had in 2009.
I love your storage idea for "chicken shoes". Right now mine stay on a piece of cardboard on the back porch.

Keep shining!
Natalie

"Ask what makes you come alive and go do it." ~Howard Thurman

Edited by - NatChap on Nov 21 2019 12:40:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  07:09:34 AM  Show Profile
UGH, those Tetnus shots do make your arm ache for a few days! Glad to hear that your leg is finally clearing up too. Just in time to enjoy Thanksgiving and usher in the holiday season!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  10:56:55 AM  Show Profile
Ouch!! Nicole, that hurt me just reading about it!! Happy you are feeling better and healing quickly! The holidays are creeping up fast!!! Busy, busy!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  11:42:09 AM  Show Profile
Thank you! Xoxo

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Felt bad couple of weeks - tetanus shot :( Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page