Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 November/virtual Farmgirl Potluck Dinner!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic November/virtual Farmgirl Potluck Dinner! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2019 :  09:57:00 AM  Show Profile
Sara had a good idea over at the other Virtual Potluck Dinner thread to start a new topic so everyone would know to join in if interested. She also had a good idea that if we want to keep this going, someone step up and kick off the December one. So, keep that thought in the back of your mind when the calendar hits December 1. A Christmas party would be tons of fun!

I would be honored to host our Farmgirl Virtual Dinner for Thanksgiving!! How about we have dinner at 4pm in the afternoon to give everyone time to get back from church and rest up a bit before the feast? I will roast a big turkey and make the gravy. How about you bring whatever favorite side or dessert that you enjoy making and which is part of your Thanksgiving tradition?

Thank-you Sara for kicking off this idea in October! We had a very fine meal and lovely gathering. Yes, wash up that apron and have it ready for 3 weeks from today!!

Meantime, I will be getting down the old turkey roaster that my Dad always used to cook our family turkey. He always gave my Mom the day off from cooking and made dinner. She made our cranberry salad and pumpkin pies the day before.

Let's get our recipes out and lists made for ingredients to get!! A Farmgirl Thanksgiving Gathering is launching now!! Who is coming? ........................

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2019 :  11:10:25 AM  Show Profile
Winnie thanks for hosting. Put me down and I'll bring sweet potato pie with pecan topping. My sister has pecan trees so they will be straight from her farm.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  04:35:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Yummy!! Sweet Potato pie is one of my favorites and a truly southern tradition at holidays! I love that the pecans will come from your sister’s home too. I have a feeling that lots of these dishes will have local ingredients from either home gardens or local Farmer’s markets.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  04:37:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Yummy!! Sweet Potato pie is one of my favorites and a truly southern tradition at holidays! I love that the pecans will come from your sister’s home too. I have a feeling that lots of these dishes will have local ingredients from either home gardens or local Farmer’s markets.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  09:45:02 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, Count me in! I'll bring a dessert, Turtle Pie. It's one of our favorites here.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  4:24:59 PM  Show Profile
If Turtle pie is anything like the candy, Turtles, you better bring two!! LOL!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  07:10:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh what fun to spend the day at Winnie's for Thanksgiving. I had such a great time at Sara's party. Winnie can I bring my twiced baked potato casserole. I have a lot of potatoes from the garden to use up. I can't wait to try those pies from Sara and Denise.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  11:03:43 AM  Show Profile
I'll bring cloverleaf rolls and watergate salad. Thank you to Winnie for having us.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  3:19:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm coming Winnie, but hubby has been home for two days and we were at the cabin. He doesn't like me to be away from him on his days off---LOL> How will I handle his retirement in April.??????????????

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  3:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Barbara, you just kind of trip over each other for a while until you get used to it. When you need some time for yourself you either get up early or stay up late.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  4:07:34 PM  Show Profile
Welcome everyone and I am thrilled that so many of you will be coming!! Yes, Julie, please bring your potato casserole! Judith, clover leaf rolls and watergate salad(new to me, what is it?) sound delicious!!

Barbara, bring your hubby if he doesn't want to be left alone!! He can help keep my hubby company while all of us "Hens" are chatting away for hours!! LOL!! They can always watch Pro-Football on a Sunday afternoon too!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2019 :  05:50:38 AM  Show Profile
Winnie---I am going to bring corn pudding. Here is my recipe----8 oz. cream cheese softened 2 eggs, beaten 1/3 sugar 1 package corn bread muffin mix 1 16 oz. can cream style corn 2 cups fresh or frozen or canned corn 1 cup milk 2 tbls of butter melted 1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional) Blend cream cheese, eggs, and sugar. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Put in a 9x13 inch pan and bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes. We love this dish and I make it each year. I am leaving hubby at home---he is an old poop and a worse loner than I am. Us hens would have a miserable time and he would let me stay about 30 minutes and make me leave---as he did when we went to my cousins wedding. I will get up early and read or watch TV. We both know we need alone time---he has hobbies and is always building or doing something interesting. I told him I was retiring from dishwashing and that he could do them. That didn't sit well with him---LOL.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2019 :  06:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, that corn pudding sound delicious and what a perfect Thanksgiving side!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2019 :  1:22:41 PM  Show Profile
It's been a while since I've made turtle pie. It is made in a graham cracker crust and has caramel on the bottom it is so good. I need to go look up the recipe so I'll be ready. I may take it to our church's dinner on the 17th. It is very rich. Can't wait to try all these great sounding dishes.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2019 :  02:27:33 AM  Show Profile
Ladies---no one seems to be coming to this potluck. I will hire male strippers and bring several cases of wine. Will that be lively enough??? LOL!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2019 :  10:10:53 AM  Show Profile
Hahahahahaha!! Barbara, maybe everyone is still full from the October feast? Even if we have a small group, we will enjoy the camaraderie and have fun swapping stories and other Farmgirl bits go wisdom!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2019 :  10:35:47 PM  Show Profile
Girls! I just opened my mailbox and found my invitation to Winnie’s thanksgiving celebration! Please count me in!

I hope the pies are the appetizers—that’s the best time to eat pie!

Turkey and gravy—YUM!
I always appreciate homegrown dishes! Potatoes and local pecans?YES!
Favorite family recipes and homemade rolls? Thank you for sharing! It all sounds like a beautiful tradition!

I will bring dilly beans, fresh kiwi fruit, and candied walnuts. And soak up the generous spirit of all you lovely people!

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2019 :  10:38:24 PM  Show Profile
And Barbara, you are so blessed to have arrived at the age of retirement and have a husband who wants to spend his time with you. Blessings!!
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  03:51:52 AM  Show Profile
Ladies---I wouldn't go to a male strip show if you paid me! And wine would make us all sick for sure I would bore you people to death for sure. But I do make a mean corn pudding!

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  03:57:35 AM  Show Profile
I do know how lucky I am to have my husband as my best friend---but ladies he bored me so bad when we were dating---he actually painted little soldiers and played war games with them---still does, but he was good for me---cured my love of disco dancing and put me back to my true self---a woods woman and keeper of animals,

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  05:33:24 AM  Show Profile
Sara,
I love dilly beans! They make a nice side dish. Here I am the only one who likes them.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  07:31:16 AM  Show Profile
Denise, I have trained my three grandchildren (ages 6, 4, and 2) to love all things pickled, and dilly beans are their favorite. So I always have someone to make them for, and someone to eat them with! It’s what keeps me going!
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  07:12:21 AM  Show Profile
OK Farmgirls, our feast is this coming Sunday!! I am going to the store today to get the turkey and maybe a few other things to have on hand. I am excited everyone is coming and no doubt we will be happily chatting for hours and hours!! Here I am preparing the Turkey!!! LOL!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2019 :  12:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh! Winnie, did you sew that dress yourself?
You look Mah-velous!,

I can’t wait to sit and visit with you in your modern kitchen!
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2019 :  05:34:59 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I love this old photo from the 1930s. This reminds me of my Grandmother, except she cooked on a wood burning stove. Isn’t it remarkable how women created delicious meals for lots of family with such humble and modest equipment by today’s standards? I love that they knew how to time and use their stoves and ovens to perfection. Do you even wish you could be taken back in time to just Be in a kitchen like this and help for just one Thanksgiving on an old farm? I do!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2019 :  06:09:07 AM  Show Profile
Glad to see you have your handy apron Winnie! Don't want to mess up our clothes.
I'd be right there in that old kitchen if I could. The little I remember about my grandma, this woman reminds me of her a lot. She had a wood cook stove for a long time. And I remember she played the piano too and loved for my aunt and I to sing with her while she played.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic November/virtual Farmgirl Potluck Dinner! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page