Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2019 :  07:13:26 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane, I saw on weather.com about the coming snow in your area and wondered if you were forecast to be hit directly. What a salvation of the garden you and the family pulled off!!!! Your apple recipes all look delicious and I bet Apple Pie Sunday was a feast to remember. Meg's apple gazpacho sounds very different and I bet it was good too. That is the thing about Apples. You can create to your heart's content and almost never make a losing dish. It also looks like the Butters /Ogle pantry is full of lots of produce to keep the meals healthy and delicious until next season. I love the way all the apples look lined up and settling into their new digs for the duration. The little darlin's!

You have to try out a slice pumpkin meat pie filler as suggested above and let us know. Me things you are on to something very special with your honey as sweetener. Wow, it all makes my mouth water just imagining eating a slice.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Sep 30 2019 07:14:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2019 :  07:30:48 AM  Show Profile
Lastly, I wanted to share with you news from an article about a new apple that MaryJane shared with me. Washington State University began a process in 1994 to "build a better apple" that would hold up for storage, shipping, as well as have a wonderful taste. The New York times recently wrote an article about all of the details. Known as the Apple of the Year, the Cosmic Crisp will ship some 18 million of these new apples in December to markets. They are a beautiful red apple and are said to be juicy, crisp and delicious. If they show up in your grocery this year, will you report back here and let us know how you found them to be? This new variety is said to be a great solution for Washington state growers but who knows, it might be successful in other states close by.

How about that, Farmgirls!! For our Apple Pie Festival at MJF 2019, news came of a brand new Apple that might just be a nations new favorite!! I sure hope some trickle down to Florida so I can try them out. You can bet I will buy some and report back to here. Who doesn't want to taste an apple called the Apple of the Year??? If I can figure out how to post a photo or the article link, I will do so, but in the meantime, be on the look out for COSMIC CRISP!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2019 :  10:14:11 AM  Show Profile
Winnie - I never thought to add the blackberry topping to my pie, but I think it would have been a bit too much with the pumpkin. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'll keep an eye out for that new apple!

MaryJane - My mouth is still watering over your pear picture! Pears are my favorite. I'm not sure where the box came from that I bought (the Mennonite family has them shipped in from somewhere in a big crate then boxes them) but, they were not even half the size of yours! You'll have to let us know how the pumpkin pie turns out. It sounds delicious!

Off to have another piece of pie before hubby eats it all LOL!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2019 :  12:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Heather, your pumpkin apple pie sounds delicious! I have a candle with that smell and really enjoy it, so I can only imagine how delicious it tastes. I'm going to have to try it now!

MaryJane, you all were so busy! Everything looks so wonderful, especially your roses! I love that orange color. I only have purple, so an orange color would be lovely. I'm happy to hear you got everything saved from the snow and cold. We are expecting some big freezes here too. Seems like the cold came out of nowhere. Your dinner looks delicious! I hope it was very tasty.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic 5th Annual Apple Festival at MJF!! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page