Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 West Virginia is number ONE!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic West Virginia is number ONE!!! Next Topic  

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2019 :  05:49:06 AM  Show Profile
Ladies---hurrah for WV! We are number one in something and not last or next to last. We're the best state to retire rich because of our low prices. I guess that is good for hubby and I retiring poor too---LOL.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2019 :  07:14:44 AM  Show Profile
That's awesome Barbara!!!! I love your state! Born in Virginia, then stationed at Ft. Eustis, we'd go skiing at Snowshoe every winter!! I loved it so much I wanted us to retire there but he chose Alabama instead. No taxes. Congrats!! It's a beautiful state!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2019 :  09:07:06 AM  Show Profile
Good for YOU Barbara...If WV is #1 for the Retirement State we have to be at the very bottom of the
list here in WA State. Everything is expensive here!! In fact our Maintenance Man here at our Apts
is a single guy in his early to mid 40's and he never married or had a girlfriend but he is the neatest
guy. For a year and a half he has been looking for a different state to move to where he could Retire
now but where the Cost of Living was low. He just bought a house for Cash in New Mexico, bought a New
SUV for cash and in a week and a half he is loading up and moving out. He is very thrifty, good looking,
and ready to Retire in comfort in a brand new Lower Cost of Living Place. Everyone that I know who
lives here talks of Retirement somewhere else.

Love, Hugs, and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2019 :  12:37:14 PM  Show Profile
I think California may have Washington beat for being expensive. . DH visits his family in Texas for hunting season 6 weeks every year but all my kids and grandkids are here and I see them little enough without leaving the state. Financially it's been easier since retirement; less fuel costs, don't need new clothes, no more eating lunch out. Staying home really does save money.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2019 :  6:57:56 PM  Show Profile
God bless you children---but if you had ever been to Boone county you would run away screaming from WV---LOL. Peggy Ann---I think I would have run off with that good-lookin handyman---LOL!

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2019 :  7:14:27 PM  Show Profile
West Virginia - great for retirees and a had a cool song by John Denver too!

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

There's no place like home!
Dorothy Gale

Nature speaks in symbols and in signs.
John Greenleaf Whittier
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2019 :  8:00:56 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa---I love that song!!! I almost cry when I hear it. But the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Shenandoah river are barely in WV, They're in the panhandle right next to Virginia. If he had went to the coalfields in southern WV he would have probably got beaten up and never wrote the song, LOL and you go girl---you are a wonderful person.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2019 :  06:55:08 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear that Barbara! It is on our list of choices to move too. NJ would be at the bottom of the list I'm sure. Way too expensive to live here. Wed like to move soon but right now we are still in the working market and it is difficult to find a job in hubby's chosen field. But we are definitely contemplating WV.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2019 :  3:18:01 PM  Show Profile
It always feels good to have your home state hit #1 For some special trait!! WV is a state I have not visited which is weird because I grew up in Virginia. Someday I hope to get there in Fall because I am sure it is beautiful!,

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2019 :  1:23:52 PM  Show Profile
That's great Barbara! I bet that is a wonderful feeling. I still have many years before I retire so hopefully my state will get better. We are about in the middle on our cost of living. So not to bad but hopefully there will be improvements before I retire. I hope all works out for you and hubby!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2019 :  06:15:06 AM  Show Profile
Great news Barbara, I hope for the state it benefits in good ways. Our county here in FL use to be a really nice quite, affordable place to live. Our city board decided time to let the country know. Well word got out, we are now growing like crazy, tearing down old growth trees to make way for housing, we now have a spring training center for a baseball team (there are three others within 30 miles of this one). Shopping centers, car dealerships, and all kinds of things popping up like crazy. I know growth is good, but for this small community when is enough, enough. I would like to take a pencil eraser and run our name off the most affordable place to live. I like the trees and nature more than another shopping center. Hugs Karla

P.S. I forgot to mention our property tax is going up again, second time in 20 months.

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.

Edited by - hoosiercountry on Aug 14 2019 06:15:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2020 :  07:32:31 AM  Show Profile
Ladies---all I can say is that WV is stupid! The shame of it all. Thank God for Joe Manchin---a sane West Virginian. I may live in a holler---but I am not stupid and drinking the kool-aid.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2021 :  2:59:00 PM  Show Profile
Well---Joe Manchin is starting to get on my nerves. I'm sick of seeing him on TV.

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2021 :  5:15:46 PM  Show Profile

That is awesome!!!

Hugs!

Judy

God Has Been So Good To Me!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013 and
September 2021
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2021 :  7:35:16 PM  Show Profile
Truly awesome---and if you have heard of Jim Justices GOV. do it for Baby Dog Bribes to get the vaccine out to the unvaccinated it makes it all more funny. Baby Dog is his big fat bull dog and so cute---but come on---as hubby says where is our reward for getting the vaccine early---LOL!

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2021 :  10:20:56 AM  Show Profile
WV just keeps on being number one---first we were the state giving out the most vaccines and the last I heard we had the highest covid cases per capita in the USA! No wonder I stay in my holler more and more these days Life do get tedious for sure.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2021 :  1:33:47 PM  Show Profile
Joe Manchin is really on my nerves these days. I was always proud of him because hubbie's brother in law worked for him when he was governor of our state. He often was in the newspaper shown doing things for the governor. Anyway my cousin has called me from Ohio not liking Manchin and I had to agree that I am ashamed of him. Sorry that WV is holding much up---LOL! Also he was a great governor here in WV but I think he is losing it and driving too expensive of a car to really care about us Poor folk in WV.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2021 :  07:46:59 AM  Show Profile
Now Joe is making me throw up! He's on TV and on my news feed all the time. Makes me cringe and long to move to another state. Sent him a nice email to get on with it...LOL and life do get tedious here in these West Virginia hills.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic West Virginia is number ONE!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page