suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2019 :  08:18:20 AM  Show Profile
This year, I decided to experiment with new varieties of herbs and dyeing plants. Most survived our dry hot summer thankfully. One of them is called a Vicks plant. Small tiny somewhat thick rounded leaves and when you crush one it DOES smell like a jar of vicks vapor rub!! I'm ready to do 'something' with them, harvest, dry, etc. BUT the company that sold the plants have no suggestions as to what they are good for!! Anyone one have this plant and if so, what do you do with yours???

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2019 :  09:19:05 AM  Show Profile
Diana I couldn't find it in any of my herb books but did find it on-line. It can be used as a rub for chest colds like Vicks Vapor Rub.

If I was going to make a healing salve I would use bee's wax with a little EVOO. Or make a healing oil with EVOO which would be easier to apply.

Could not find whether it is editable or not so until you find out for sure looks like it will be salve/oil.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2019 :  10:38:45 AM  Show Profile
I have it Diana, but don't do much with it other than smell it, and divide it, and replant it. It takes off like crazy. I have several pots of it. Let us know if you come up with something good.
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2019 :  1:52:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, I JUST got an email back from the seed company telling me the vicks plant wasn't good for anything BUT smelling good! No teas, tinctures, etc. Just for smell. Oh well

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2019 :  1:03:13 PM  Show Profile
Did the company give you the scientific name or anything other than vicks? With the scientific name I could look it up in one of my herbal books and see if it is listed. Are the stems squarish like others in the mint family?

Judith

Happiness is Homemade

Edited by - StitchinWitch on Aug 01 2019 1:04:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  1:34:44 PM  Show Profile
Do you think it could still be used as a slave? I would like to grow some. I love the smell of Vicks.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  3:00:04 PM  Show Profile
ok, so I DID learn after some research that it Is good for a mosquito repellent. It DOES propagate incredibly well so keep it in pots or if you want to use it for mosquito control and eye appeal, plant around your house beds. :) More than likely can not use for much of anything else Krista and Judith! Here is the description and scientific name:

'Vick's Plant' is a plant in the Plectranthus genus with a scientific name of Plectranthus hadiensis var. tomentosa. Perennial semi-succulent herb. Vick’s plant is an excellent mosquito repellent. Plant it in hanging baskets and in flower beds. Leaves are ovate to ovate-triangular, densely velvety and hairy.

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  3:41:00 PM  Show Profile
I looked it up. You can buy it on Amazon (you can buy anything on Amazon!) and the description I read said it can be used as a nasal decongestant. It didn't say how; maybe by just smelling it. I have a potted succulent garden on my front porch -- I think I need to add this to the collection.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  4:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Ot would truly make a nice addition to your succulant garden Judith!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  5:01:11 PM  Show Profile
I was tempted to order it right way but hesitate to have it shipped during hot weather. I'll put in on my fall list of things to do. Sure do wish Amazon would tell you where things are shipped from.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  6:48:18 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like an interesting plant. I wonder if you could boil the leaves to release the smell in your house when you are congested or have a cold. That would be something to look into. I think I would like to plant some around here. We have an overabundance of mosquitoes here.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  7:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Dianna -- Do you have yellow oxalis growing where you live? We always considered it an awful pest but this year I read about its use in dying so I picked a bucket full of the blossoms and dyed some cotton fabric with it. Makes a nice colorfast yellow. No mordant needed as the plants contain oxalic acid.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  7:28:44 PM  Show Profile
YES!!! Judith!! It came up nicely at first, scattered here and there but there just weren't enough blooms to put in my pot! I read the same thing about oxalis and REALLY wanted to dye with it!! I'm so glad you tried it and got a good color! Now I DID dye with my marigolds that I planted for my pest control and got the most glorious orange yellow color on my white blouse! I'm so in love with it!! Hopefully I'll be able to give the oxalis a go next spring!
!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2019 :  10:32:02 AM  Show Profile
Love that color! Did you use a mordant? I guess I'll have to start saving the marigold blossoms. We planted some in the veggie garden to help keep away bugs. Next year I'll plant more.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2019 :  5:08:24 PM  Show Profile
I love that color of yellow. I never knew marigolds could be used a dye. I am going to try it on some of the thrift store finds. It's a lovely color

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2019 :  4:40:25 PM  Show Profile
I had a quilt that my grandmother made. Purple and white! My grand daughter loved it and it was perfect on her day bed, so I gave it to her. Just one problem...My grandmother had dyed the purple fabric herself. My grand daughters room faces West with double windows, so it is usually bright in there, (no curtains, up stairs in the country). The purple has faded. So you may want to watch your pretty blouse for fading as you wear it to run errands etc.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2019 :  1:09:26 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the info Dianna. We have tons of mosquitoes here so any help would be great. I'm going to get us some for our house. Dang little mosquitoes.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2019 :  6:08:22 PM  Show Profile
We have a 3 acre pond so having some of those vick's plants would be great to keep those nasty mosquitoes away

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Vicks Plant Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page