Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 How do YOU define what "the simple life" means?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How do YOU define what "the simple life" means? Next Topic  

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2019 :  11:53:53 AM  Show Profile
(Warning: this is a big long, but I swear I have a point at the end of it!)

Since I picked up my first MJF magazine in 2003, I have sought a life of simplicity. Over the years, that has meant a lot of different things: attempting to grow some of my own food, sewing things by hand, repurposing items in my house, weeding out the clutter in my life, etc… All of these things, while they were helpful for a while, never really got me where I wanted to be.

And then I realized something VERY recently: I can’t reach “the simple life” because I haven’t actually defined what that even means to me.

I live a hectic life. While I work remotely out of my home, which is an absolute blessing, I have a high stress, high visibility career with an online retailer. I work in employee relations and don’t usually deal with people who are at the happy phases of their careers. As a result, it’s draining. I’m also the primary bread winner because my husband is a newish real estate broker and his business hasn’t taken off yet. I love to write and blog, but since I spent 9+ hours a day in front of a computer conducting investigations and writing reports, my brain pretty much shuts down at night, meaning the last thing I want to do is sit in front of a different computer, trying to force myself to be creative. I’m also actively involved in my synagogue, holding a board position with the women’s group and a board committee chair position with the regional group of which our women’s group is affiliated. Both require time commitments from me that I sometimes feel I don’t have the ability to complete, but yet I always do because we Jews believe in tikkun olam aka repairing the world, and our women’s groups are doing just that in a myriad of ways.

I've made a lot of changes to my life to ease some stressors: religious conversion, removing toxic relatives from my orbit, getting out of groups that didn't bring me joy, etc... but I'm still not where I want to be.

All of this is to day – I don’t have a simple life. And I want one…to the point of tears, I want one. But I still don’t know what that means to me. I’m still figuring that out.

So my question for all of you is – have YOU defined what it means to live a simple life? And are you living it? How did you get there?

Farmgirl Sister #127
My blog: http://14thandoak.com
"Nowadays, even living simply - working only to acquire life's most basic necessities, demands so much." - Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2019 :  12:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
The simple life is almost impossible to define - and to achieve. It is different for everyone. I find that in retirement, life is a bit simpler, but still too busy much of the time. As retirees, we sometimes have to think back to what we did yesterday to figure out what day of the week it is. If you have certain things that only happen on Wednesdays, that helps. LOL!

I like to have time to partake in my interests: fabric crafts - quilting, gift-y sewing, useful sewing projects; traveling - both short trips, around the US, and overseas; meeting with friends. What my husband and I like to do, and it is by no means simple, is travel as much as we can while we still can. We want to see the world.

I am currently de-cluttering - that isn't always easy. I remember when my parents passed away we had so much "stuff" to divide up between siblings, sell, or give away. We found many things we had never even seen before - a lot of things they didn't need or use. I know there are things like that in my house - some of which I brought from my parents house! I have only one son, and my husband has two sons - all of them are grown. They lead different lives and don't want much of this stuff, so I need to find someone who can use it.

The simple life - I'm also curious as to whether anyone can define or has found it.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2019 :  1:55:07 PM  Show Profile
Rachel and Linda after reading your post I have been thinking about what living a simple life means to me.

Simply said "a simple life is like a garden where you weed out what is not necessary or harmful and keep what is beneficial to your spiritual, emotional, and physical health".

And like a garden the way you choose to live your life is always changing, challenging, and takes making hard choices. Along the way learn to enjoy the journey as you are on the path to where you want to me. Celebrate small successes and dream big.

Gardeners know there is always another season or next year so don't beat yourself up over what you can't change or control. Give thanks for your blesses and wake each morning with the expectation that something good is going to happen to you today.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2135 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2135 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2019 :  3:37:12 PM  Show Profile
Very thought provoking --just what is a simple life? It will probably be different for everyone. I think it is mostly a mental state where you are at peace with your life. It can and does change; conflicting interests and events happen, making life not so simple. You have to prioritize a lot, eliminate things, when possible, that complicate your life. Achieving a simple life can be a lot of work. But when it happens it is worth it.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2682 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2682 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2019 :  5:41:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure what a simple life is either, or how to get there... I crave and desire a simple life more than anything, I strive to find and create a simple life for my family every single day, every single year, yet something always remains missing... I'm wondering if a simple life is nothing more than reaching contentment... so many want more, a better job, more money, a larger home, a nicer car... how can one feel content, or simplify if one is continuously wanting more?

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2207 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2019 :  7:09:26 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying to live as simply as I can, and I find a challenge in reusing what is at hand without buying extra craft supplies. I also try to live in the moment and not worry about things in the future that I can't control.
The comparison to a garden is a good one.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs just need to relax and accept it.

Nature speaks in symbols and in signs.
John Greenleaf Whittier
Go to Top of Page

sabrinafaire
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Jennifer
Columbus Georgia
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2019 :  03:02:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you posted this! I have discovered that there is no standard to meet. Sometimes, it's just about being able to sit back and say, "I did the best I could." Sometimes, that means putting clothes in the dryer because someone needs them immediately. Or buying frozen corn because you just don't have the time to get out to the farm to buy fresh. (This is me this week!) On the other hand, I recycle like a madwoman and somehow, everything still gets done. I used to beat myself up over taking little shortcuts like these, but that just added to the chaos. I've mostly stopped that. The idea of perfection ruins my peace, so I threw it out. No perfection here!

Another idea I've picked up lately: in order to get what you want, you have to love what you have. Or else that negative energy of hating what you have blocks up the pipeline of getting what you want. For instance, I want to own a home - a place where I can never be kicked out, where I can decorate the way I want, where I can grow things in the earth. So, while I look for a place and my husband gets his feet under him and we save up for a down payment, I am loving the heck out of this little rented house!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2019 :  04:11:20 AM  Show Profile
All good advice posted here. Something for everyone to live by. You have to do what you love and love what you do.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2019 :  06:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Lots of great thoughts on Simple Life. Sara - you have a way with words. Everyone seems to agree, though, that things are always changing.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2019 :  08:06:00 AM  Show Profile
Sara, your words, descriptive of a simple life are perfection for me and how I live the simple life! Great wise words Farm sister! Very wise indeed....

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  03:31:06 AM  Show Profile
To me a simple life means having faith in God and believing that He is watching over you so that you can live without fear and be strong. It also means living close to the earth and growing your own food---and preparing that food in simple and healthy ways. It's having small affordable hobbies---like gardening and sewing. It's having time to read lots of books and not being glued to the TV. It's using the least amount of technology as you can get by with and not overloading your brain---having time to think your own thoughts and be who you really are. It's about clothes hanging out on the line drying in the breeze and enjoying that wonderful smell as you bring them in. It's sharing special bonds and love with animals---God's beautiful creatures. It's doing as little of what you hate to do as you can get by with and having more time for what you love to do. It's about taking long, solitary walks---preferably in the woods---and clearing your mind of needless thoughts and figuring out what truly matters in your life. And yes it is about reducing clutter---but I love books, clothes and vintage things---plus animals and plants---so I say have plenty of what you love and enjoy! It's about using what you have and being content with what you have until you can truly get what you really want. It's loving and caring for people and animals and being there when they need you---but not about volunteering for a lot of social events and being spread thin with your time. Only do what is important and meaningful to yourself. Even though I have many chores and it is time consuming I feel that I have found the simple life here in my woodsy holler farm.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  1:16:24 PM  Show Profile
These are all great thoughts and actions about what helps to create a simple life. It seems like to me, I have been trying to figure out what that looks like for most of my adult life. I am well accustomed to burnout, but not too sure about a simple life. I do think the definition changes with age and time. Age and time give us perspective that we can look back upon and learn to keep what was good and get rid of what wasn't . Like many of you, I have culled out certain habits and activities which no longer seem necessary or enjoyable. But, my life still stays busy and often overbooked at times. I think in 2019, there are so many things to do that it is truly hard to not engage.

When I am feeling overbooked or dissatisfied, I find that it is time to make changes by saying no. I also think that as I age, I am learning better how to listen to my body and heart and not get myself into a schedule I cannot easily get out of. Perhaps, a simple life is about seeing each day as one to be cherished and not wasted on stuff that ends up being exhausting and making a person irritable. A lost day is a lost day and I am trying to make myself not throw away any day!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2019 :  5:05:57 PM  Show Profile
Wow! This is a deep subject that requires a lot of thinking. I too crave a simple life. It seems that the world is spinning out of control with technology and everyone has to be doing something or they are bored. I love the boring life. There are so many things that I used to want or think I needed to make life easier but making life easier was not making life healthier. I enjoy making my own cleaning products now and find that I don't need to go to the beauty salon as often as I thought I needed to. So many of the items I so desperately wanted have never even been used. To me a simpler life would be getting back to some of the basics. Forgetting the hustle and rush of piling up money to do things that I don't even enjoy half the time. Getting grounded in my faith and relying more on hard work and being thrifty makes me feel like I have stepped into a simpler life.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2135 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2135 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2019 :  5:32:25 PM  Show Profile
"I love the boring life" So true! I recall when my youngest was a teenagers and was complaining that our life was boring and I told her "boredom is peace". Now that she is 51 and has a hectic job she is wishing for a boring life. I think it is a Buddhist belief that desire causes unhappiness. We should wish for less and be happy with what we have.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade

Edited by - StitchinWitch on Jul 29 2019 5:33:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2019 :  09:46:40 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, thank you for all of your input. I think removing the clutter and "drama" from my life is what I'm hungry for. I'm working on trying to figure what that means and how I do that, but I've figured out a few things since I opened this thread.

1) Getting back to nature. We haven't been camping in the woods much this summer because we prefer to be the only ones at the campground. This time of year it's insane, so we're off-season campers. But I'm hoping we end up in the Olympic National Park this weekend, exploring some amongst the tall trees. I'm so much more peaceful when I'm in the woods/mountains (or by the water). I think I will feel more at peace this fall once we're back to camping regularly in the now-deserted campground and we have the woods to ourselves.

2) Focusing on my faith life and not all of the "stuff" that comes with it. I plan on stepping down from the boards I'm on at the end of the periods (end of May next year). I've been so distracted with all the volunteering, which is an important part of Judaism as doing mitzvot is important, but in my busyness, I've lost contact with the Divine and need to be working on focusing on prayer, Torah study, and improving my relationship with Adonai. I'm drawing lines when it comes to volunteering for additional things and being roped in to things I don't really want to do. I need to learn to say "yes" LESS.

So that's where I'm starting.

Thank you for all the input!

Farmgirl Sister #127
My blog: http://14thandoak.com
"Nowadays, even living simply - working only to acquire life's most basic necessities, demands so much." - Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

Edited by - RachelLeigh on Aug 15 2019 09:48:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2135 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2135 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2019 :  2:38:45 PM  Show Profile
Rachel -- Congratulations on taking control of your life. Learning to say no was one of the most important lessons I've learned. Keep the important stuff and drop the rest.
I know what you mean about camping. I've always said I don't want to camp where there are more people than in my own backyard.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2019 :  3:49:08 PM  Show Profile
This is a wonderful topic. I have always had what I consider a simple life. Though it has been busy at times that didn't make it any less simple. Nowadays, children gone and not many people around anymore, I look for things that are worthwhile to fill my time. Things that make me in a peaceful state of mind. I think it is important for my health to not take on too much and to enjoy my days in whatever way is fulfilling to me. I by no means have it all together. I think the simple life is a journey.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2019 :  5:59:14 PM  Show Profile
I think a simple life is all about choices. Part of our schedule will always have the same tasks I call the daily dozen...cooking, cleaning, etc.But the other things inlife can be like going to a candy store. Th extra stuff that isn't part of our life lures us like chocolate candy. We can get carried away and want it all. Then we get overwhelmed. Choosing or not is what comprises our days. Sometimes the choices are wise, sometimes not. But to savor the moment is critical. I think my life is simple, sometimes not; just by what extra I choose.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2019 :  06:14:03 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie,
A wonderful look at it! It's all about our choices as to what we let in our smaller worlds of home and life.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2019 :  10:24:11 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Denise.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic How do YOU define what "the simple life" means? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page