YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2019 :  07:59:41 AM  Show Profile
When I was told to keep a pot from boiling over put a wooden spoon across the top of the pot I didn't believe it but it does work. I made chicken noodle soup the other day and placed a wooden spoon across the top of the pot. The broth would boil up to the spoon and then go back down. Time after time the broth boiled to the top of the pot and the spoon and every time the broth did not spill over but went back down. Try it and be as amazed as I am. If anyone knows the science behind it please let us know.

What is your kitchen hint? We want to know.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2019 :  3:34:18 PM  Show Profile
Sara, thanks for sharing this. I havent heard about the wooden spoon trick before. My stuff is always boiling over. I am trying this the next time I cook noodles. Those are always the worst for me. I would love to know the secret as well!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  6:57:31 PM  Show Profile
I have never heard that before. Thank you for sharing. I have always put a pat of butter in the pot to keep it from boiling over but I would rather use a wooden spoon.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2019 :  01:47:09 AM  Show Profile
Never heard of this but I will try it. I cannot understand why it would work.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2020 :  09:41:23 AM  Show Profile
Non Slip Cutting Board Trick - Dampen a kitchen towel. Lay flat on the surface where you want cutting board to go. Place cutting board down on top of towel and press down slightly to make sure it’s in place. It should stick to the damp towel which is sticking to the counter and you can chop away!!!

Hard Boiling Eggs - First, always use older eggs - they peel easier. Newer eggs will be a big ole PAIN. For Easter I buy eggs a couple weeks ahead for sure! My tried and true method to hard boil is to put the eggs in the bottom of a deep pot. I cover with cold water by at least 2 inches or so. Then cover and put on the stove and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils, turn off the heat and carefully move pot to another burner, leaving the lid on. Set a time for 12-13 minutes. Towards the end of that time, prepare a large bowl full of ice water. When timer goes off, use a large slotted spoon to lift the eggs from the hot water to the ice water. Let them cool down a bit.

At this point they can go in the fridge, covered in water, in an airtight container for 1-2 days before peeling and using. Some say they can go longer but I play it safe.

Use a cheese slicer to cut eggs in half (you’ll have to find one with just the wire - no roller bar - but if you can it works like a charm.

Cutting Dough - If you ever have to cut long strips or shapes out of dough - don’t use a knife -use your pizza cutter. SO much easier!

Lighten it Up - Substitute equal amounts of evaporated milk for recipes that call for heavy cream. Still tastes great but lighter on the fat/calories!

Mushroom Stems - If you like mushrooms and are left with some stems after making another recipe, clean, finely dice and use in tomorrow’s omelette.

Baking Soda - You know how people put an open box in the back of the fridge to absorb odors? I figure the same principle would apply to the open box in my pantry that I use for baking. So I keep it in a plastic Ziploc bag to keep it odor free!

Brown Sugars - I always keep these in a Ziploc bag as well, all the air squeezed out. Then inside a tight sealing canister. Keeps it from hardening!

Egg Muffins- If at any point in life you are tempted to bake eggs in muffin cups - just know that you are going to 1) Have dirty muffin pans that refuse to give up their bits of stuck on egg sitting in your sink for a week/hidden in the cupboard under the sink or 2) Spend a LOT of time cleaning said pans. No fun! This is what silicone muffin pans were made for!!! If you spot some for a good price - they not only make getting muffins out of the pan easy but they are the ONLY way I will ever bake egg muffins again. Enough said.

Low and Slow - When it comes to cooking meats, low and slow gives the best flavor. So when you see a recipe calling for a low, long cooking time - pay attention! By low I mean 275 or 300 instead of the typical 350 or 400 degree temps called for.

Kitchen Thermometers - If nothing else, invest in a $10 instant read meat thermometer - the kind that uses little watch batteries. I had nothing but that for years and made it work! You can rest easy knowing meat is done, you can even test the inside of cakes and loaves of bread to see if they’ve reached the right temp!

Stand Mixers - They are good for more than just mixing baked goods! Take cooked chicken breast or pork or a beef roast and plop in the bowl while still good and hot. Put on paddle attachment and lower into bowl. Lock it down. Cover bowl and top of mixer with clean towel - turn mixer on to 2nd or 3rd setting - holding towel in place as bits of hot meat try to fly out of the bowl at you. Let it go for a few seconds, stop and check under the towel. If not all shredded yet, repeat. Don’t go too long or you can end up with meat mush - especially with roasts.

Green Peppers - Choose peppers with 3 bumps on the bottom for eating, they’ll be sweeter. Choose ones with 4 bumps for cooking, they’ll be firmer.

Reheating Pizza - Heat up leftover pizza in a nonstick skillet on top of the stove, set heat to med-low and heat till warm. This keeps the crust crispy. No soggy micro pizza. Covering pan with lid helps the process go more quickly.

Reheating refrigerated bread - To warm biscuits, pancakes, or muffins that were refrigerated, place them in a microwave with a cup of water. The increased moisture will keep the food moist and help it reheat faster.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2020 :  09:43:08 AM  Show Profile
I think the wooden spoon trick works because the foam hits the spoon and it breaks it/pops it - just like how you can stir down a boiling mixture? If something is boiling too hard it might not work as well - I've never pushed my luck! :)
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2020 :  10:14:36 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, thanks for all those good hints.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2020 :  02:23:05 AM  Show Profile
I have used the spoon trick!! The old putting a piece of bread in with hard brown sugar really does work.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2020 :  05:49:23 AM  Show Profile
Love, love, love the kitchen helpful hints and tricks!

Here is something I just recently learned. If you love to bake and are tired of storing different types of flours in your kitchen, try these tricks...they work perfectly!

Flour, Bread 1 cup equals 1 cup of all purpose flour minus 2 Tbsp, add 2 Tbsp vital wheat protein
Flour, Cake 1 cup equals 1 cup all purpose flour minus 2 Tbsp, add 2 Tbsp corn starch
Flour, Pastry 2 cup equals 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour, 2/3 cup cake flour
Flour, Self-Rising 1 cup equals 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt
Flour, Whole Wheat 1 cup equals 7/8 cup all purpose flour, 2 tbsp wheat germ

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2020 :  3:46:23 PM  Show Profile
I definitely will be trying the wooden spoon hint. And, Jaime, you could write a book of hints. I will be trying a lot of what everyone has posted. Thank you!!

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2020 :  07:43:03 AM  Show Profile
I have started boiling my eggs with 2 tbsp. of baking soda and then putting them in ice water before peeling. It doesn't matter how old or fresh they are. It still works for me. I put them in cold water and when it starts to boil add the baking soda and turn off the heat. I leave them for ten minutes, put in ice water and peel.

I have used the spoon idea. My mom shared that with me but sometimes don't remember to do it.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2020 :  2:42:08 PM  Show Profile
Denise, I plan to try your way of boiling eggs. It sounds really easy. Thanks for sharing.

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2020 :  11:26:11 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the tips. I will try both next time I am boiling water, and/or boiled eggs.

Keep shining!
Natalie

Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2020 :  11:28:54 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Jana, for the flour cheat sheet!

Keep shining!
Natalie

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Kitchen Hints Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page