loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2019 :  6:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you grown any sprouts yet? If so, what did you use? I am wanting to grow some for a merit badge and am not sure what kind of seed to use. I want one that is easy to do for the first time trying.

Lori Beck

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2019 :  08:48:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
Hi Lori yes I done Pintos Bean sprouts, broccoli, sunflower seeds, and many other kinds. Almost any choice is tasty. I also did a summer of micro greens it was interesting too! Just pick and do! Alfalfa is good and quick. You are getting so much done this summer! Enjoy and happy badge working!

Farmgirl#7588 Fishgirl Farm Chapter member.
Laughter makes the heart strong!
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2019 :  6:28:01 PM  Show Profile
Wow Vicki, you have done a lot of sprouts. I think I would like to try the Alfalfa as I haven't gotten them done yet. Do I buy the seeds to do this with?

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2019 :  11:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
Lori go to the feed store and ask or the natural pantry at the store/ market. Bean sprouts added to salads or fried with eggs are nutrition and easy to get started. All you need is a jar and a cloth. Maybe a rubber band to hold the cloth over the mouth of the jar. Rinse everyday and put in window sill. You will have bean sprouts in 5 or 6 days. Sometimes a little longer. Lentils also.
IMG[http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/Snitz/Images/2019/07/FB_IMG_1549933040517.jpg?v=13155222[/IMG]

Go to Top of Page

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2019 :  12:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Krissel

Lori go to the feed store and ask or the natural pantry at the store. Oops

Farmgirl#7588 Fishgirl Farm Chapter

Edited by - Krissel on Jul 20 2019 12:02:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2019 :  6:15:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Vicki. I can do that next week. I'm excited to try this. I heard that sprouts are super healthy

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2134 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2134 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2019 :  3:43:03 PM  Show Profile
Lori -- Do you like the bean sprouts in Chinese food? If so buy some mung beans and grow your own. I use a quart canning jar with a screen lid but you can cover it with a piece of cloth. Soak them overnight, then drain. After that just rinse and drain twice a day. You will have bean sprouts in 3-5 days, depending on weather anytime of year; mine always grow faster in summer. Really good in a stir fry. It just takes a few beans to make a lot of sprouts. I use about a tablespoon for the two of us.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2019 :  6:09:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Judith. Where do you buy these mung beans? I love the sprouts in Chinese food.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic sprouts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page