loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2019 :  08:26:01 AM  Show Profile
This is my second summer in this house. Last year I seen a hummingbird and quickly made some homemade nectar to put in a feeder. This year started out with two hummingbirds and today I noticed four. I love hummingbirds and can spend hours just watching them flitter around. Before I moved here, I had over twenty-five hummers. I am trying to build up to that number here. Does anyone else love feeding these little fast and carefree birds?

Lori Beck

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2019 :  09:45:10 AM  Show Profile
Hummingbirds are my favorite of all the birds! I have planted lots of plants and flowers in my yard and garden to attract them as well as butterflies, moths and bees. We have Rufous hummingbirds in the spring/summer but the Anna's hummingbirds stay year round here in Renton so I have tried to incorporate as many winter-flowering food sources as I can into the garden. They do rely on the feeders alot during the winter months. Sometimes in the winter when the temperatures dip below freezing I have to change the food several times a day or put lights out to keep it thawed out while I'm at work. They are such beautiful birds and it's so fun to watch their amazing flight skills.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2019 :  3:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message

Just because! I love them! First year ever and a constant show!

Farmgirl#7588
Laughter makes the heart strong!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2019 :  1:28:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh I love hummingbirds! They are so pretty! I have only seen a couple at my house, but my mother has a lot at her house. She has multiple feeders. I love to relax on her deck and watch them quickly fly around. Enjoy all your hummingbirds Lori!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2019 :  1:39:23 PM  Show Profile
I love hummingbirds too. We have a ton here in the holler---they eat a gallon a day and it is a job to keep the feeders clean and full. But such fun to watch and it wouldn't be summer without the little meanies. I love to watch them fight and try to hog all the food.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2019 :  4:02:17 PM  Show Profile
We have a Hummer that comes now and then and we just love to watch him. They are totally fascinating with their little size and constant wing flapping!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2019 :  5:23:18 PM  Show Profile
We love our hummingbirds! Now, I see the first dragonflies!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2019 :  6:01:08 PM  Show Profile
I put up 6 feeders so that they can choose one. The bees swarm on the feeders without bee guards. Sometimes they zoom along our front porch like its a racetrack!
The best time to buy new feeders is in the fall. I sent my sweetie to Rural King & he got a bunch.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs just need to relax and accept it.

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives. Hedley Lamarr
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2019 :  10:46:15 PM  Show Profile
Yep! add me to the list of Hummer luvrs! lol!

ok, ok, so it's not real,,, but this lil one is...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2019 :  11:26:06 AM  Show Profile
Grace I have that same faux hummingbird but mine is all Purple! I too Love Hummingbirds!
I have feeders out on my Porch. They are so fun to watch!

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2019 :  6:17:16 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Krissel

Just because! I love them! First year ever and a constant show!

Farmgirl#7588
[quote]
I love the picture of the hummingbird you posted. I just love watching them. They are getting used to me now and fly close to me.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2019 :  6:19:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by katmom

Yep! add me to the list of Hummer luvrs! lol!

ok, ok, so it's not real,,, but this lil one is...

>^..^<

It seems like the hummingbirds are liking it here. I must have 6 of them now.

Never miss a sunset

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2019 :  6:24:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by edlund33

Hummingbirds are my favorite of all the birds! I have planted lots of plants and flowers in my yard and garden to attract them as well as butterflies, moths and bees. We have Rufous hummingbirds in the spring/summer but the Anna's hummingbirds stay year round here in Renton so I have tried to incorporate as many winter-flowering food sources as I can into the garden. They do rely on the feeders alot during the winter months. Sometimes in the winter when the temperatures dip below freezing I have to change the food several times a day or put lights out to keep it thawed out while I'm at work. They are such beautiful birds and it's so fun to watch their amazing flight skills.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have heard that hummingbirds like trumpet vine flowers. I am planning on planting some to see if they like them

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2019 :  6:27:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HollerGirl56

I love hummingbirds too. We have a ton here in the holler---they eat a gallon a day and it is a job to keep the feeders clean and full. But such fun to watch and it wouldn't be summer without the little meanies. I love to watch them fight and try to hog all the food.

I used to think that they were the sweetest things. When I learned that they were little terrors it made me laugh. They are so cute to be so mean.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2019 :  10:43:08 PM  Show Profile
Lori, hummingbirds do love trumpet vine. But is not cold hardy here where I live so I used some other tube shaped flowers like Honeysuckle, hardy Fuchsia, cape Fuchsia, Agastache, Colombine, and Penstemon instead. They also really like our native Currant, Oregon Grape and Salal flowers.

I have four feeders set up in the yard so everyone can have a drink without fighting.....it seems like there are two families of Anna's who don't much like to share "their" feeder. And the Rufous and Anna's don't get along either.

I love watching the Rufous catch bugs at dusk...they just sit in the middle of a swarm of bugs and keep popping up and down from their perch snagging little treats in the air. So cute to watch!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Edited by - edlund33 on Jun 20 2019 10:52:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2019 :  11:50:09 PM  Show Profile
Add pineapple sage to the list of flowers they love.
It's interesting how they are ferocious bug eaters too!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2019 :  11:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
I also watch them from my coffee perch in the morning and evening! My Rufous are very stingy and just lately one male spent the whole day running everyone off! Lol! I think he was to busy to even eat! They are stunt fliers whizzing around the porch! Love it!

Farmgirl#7588
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2019 :  12:04:00 PM  Show Profile
Grace I plant pineapple sage every year too....but have never been able to get it to bloom here?! I have two plants in different spots in my yard that get at least 6-8 hours of full sun every day but they usually just start putting out buds around the time frost arrives. I might try bringing them in this winter to overwinter and see if that helps! But even if they don't bloom they have pretty foliage and smell lovely!

What kinds of hummingbird feeders does everyone use and recommend? I've been using these Perky Pet brand mini feeders for years but the past few times I have ordered new ones the lids seem to crack within the first few uses which is so frustrating. Like most things that used to last forever..... the newer versions are lower quality. I'm on the hunt for something new that's still easy to clean and maintain. Any suggestions or recommendations?

https://www.perkypet.com/resources/perky-pet-planter-box-plastic-hummingbird-feeder-with-hanger-215p/images/0

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Edited by - edlund33 on Jun 22 2019 12:06:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2019 :  6:12:38 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn.... I just bought a second feeder tonight because they have been doing a lot of fighting over the one I have up. There is one little rascal that just waits for another hummingbird to come up to eat and it chases them off. I don't know the names of the hummingbirds yet but will be learning them as they are my favorite bird. I will have to get some other flowers for them to eat from. I just love the smell of honeysuckle so I think I will get some to put out for them.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2019 :  6:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I have never heard of pineapple sage. I will have to try some of that too. I am trying to think of different things for them. Maybe if they spread out a little bit to eat they won't fight so much. I have one that is pretty selfish. LOL

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2019 :  08:14:51 AM  Show Profile
Just as I was bragging about all my hummers---a lot have flew the coop and only a few remain. This is our first summer without their chatter and I miss them---but I must say I don't miss filling five feeders twice a day.

Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2019 :  5:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Barbara, wow. Five feeders twice a day!!! That's a lot. I don't know what happened to my hummingbirds. I had four of them and now I don't have any. I have no idea what happened. This was my first year to have any at our new house and I was so happy to see them. When it got real hot out they disappeared. Hope they come back.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  07:56:29 AM  Show Profile
I prefer the feeders with bee guards, although it doesn't deter them much. The Perky Pet types work well, plus I have bulbous ones that I think require too much syrup, so I only fill the 1/3 full.
My husband sent me an article about Praying Mantis that eat hummingbirds. Anybody run into this?

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs just need to relax and accept it.

Nature speaks in symbols and in signs.
John Greenleaf Whittier
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  6:15:42 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa, yes I saw a (sad) photo of a preyingmantis over its victim, a wee hummed :(
But as to whether it is true that praying mantis are aggressive toward hummers, I don't know for sure...

I luv pineapple sage for its bright red trumpet type flowers...
The plant, is a bushy type if Herb.
So it likes dry soil and lots of sun.
The one I head in SOCal, grew like crazy but the one I had in central Cal., in the mountains didn't grow as hardy. Not sure why.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  7:07:26 PM  Show Profile
I have never seen a preyingmantis eat a hummingbird but I can imagine that they would. A hummingbird is so small that a preyingmantis could eat it. That is so sad.
Farmgirl 7774

Never miss a sunset

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2019 :  4:47:15 PM  Show Profile

I saw a new type of hummingbird feeder at Rural King for $15, so I bought it. It hangs horizontally by cords, which is a design flaw. I changed mine to hang from wire, so that the tube can be adjusted to hang level and the syrup doesn't slosh out. They haven't discovered it yet.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

There's no place like home!
Dorothy Gale

Nature speaks in symbols and in signs.
John Greenleaf Whittier
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic For the love of hummingbirds Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page