Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 MaryJane's Milk Cow Kitchen book Giveaway!!WINNER
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic MaryJane's Milk Cow Kitchen book Giveaway!!WINNER Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2019 :  12:07:12 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane is joining us during this National Dairy Month and offering a signed copy of her Milk Cow Kitchen book!! This book is so much fun and has both real details for how to raise a cow along with countless recipes using milk that you can make in your own kitchen with store bought milk. Plus, it contains all sorts of wisdom tidbits, stunning photos, and a host of stories from MaryJane as she shares pages and pages of recipes and how-to advice. I am a city dweller, but I love this book for all it's Farmgirl beauty and tested recipes.

If you would like to try and win a copy, leave me your name and one cow story you know about or a cow photo so that we can all share in other Farmgirl experiences.

Sign-ups through June 23, and a winner chosen on June 24.

If you are a winner, I will email you from here for your mailing address, send that information to the Home Office and your book will ship directly from there to you.

Have fun with this giveaway!!! and Happy National Dairy Month to you!!

Congratulations to Linda (quiltee) for winning the Milk Cow kitchen book!!!

Thank-you All for sharing your wonderful stories and photos of cows too! It was lots of fun reading each of them and I hope everyone enjoyed them as much as I did. A big shout out to our MaryJane for sponsoring this great giveaway in our celebration of National Dairy Month too.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Summer!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Jun 24 2019 10:52:38 AM

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2019 :  1:05:54 PM  Show Profile
This is such a fun giveaway! Thank you Winnie for all you do!

My favorite cows are the Highland Cows I seen in Scotland! They are just the cutest things I have ever seen! Their bangs are just so adorable!
Here is a postcard picture I got on our trip to Scotland.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2019 :  5:27:05 PM  Show Profile
sure sign me up. I have had cows most of my life. My milk cow right now is Evelyn. this is a picture of when i first got her. She is a good girl. A good cow story involves my beef cattle. They got out one time, broke a gate. They were in the neighbors field, and we tried chasing them out and no luck. Went and got a bucket of grain, and i started leading them out to the road, up the road, down a driveway, across a field, and into their corral and pasture. I had the whole herd following, two greedy cows trying to get their nose in the bucket. We had extra people to help get them rounded up but did not need it. They all followed that bucket.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2019 :  5:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
When I was a little girl I lived with my Grandmother in Tillamook County Oregon where the cheese factory is! We had farm friends from church that had 6 children four girls an twto boys, they were my second family. I would go over just about every Sunday for a sleep over and a break for Grandma. At The age of 10 the father bought a bunch of little calves and we all got to pick and name one. Mine was named Krissel!
That was the winter my father was finally ready to send for me to come live in Alaska and be his fisherman's daughter!
Well several years later when I visited as a reward for good grades in Highschool I went over for Sunday dinner with my farm family. It was a wonderful Sunday roast and I was proudly told that Krissel was turned into dinner and was very good! I was a hunter, fisher person by then and quite pleased that they enjoyed the beef!
From kittens in the barn to making cheese and butter, milking cows an family dinners this is the family that instilled in me a love for the farm!
This big family moved away and the kids all went separate directions we are no longer in contact.

I will never forget the childhood enriched for me. God was with me, seems like he always has been. Blessed for sure. I would love that book. No cows yet but some day...

Farmgirl#7588
Laughter makes the heart strong!

Edited by - Krissel on Jun 10 2019 5:55:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

CountryGalPal
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Carol
Pulaski Tennessee
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2019 :  6:01:55 PM  Show Profile
Yes, please include me in this giveaway! While I do not have cows of my own, I do have a cute story to share.

It was back in March when one of my neighbor's cows got loose and was out on my property. I was able to contact the neighbor, and he ended up herding the cow back to his property. I didn't think much about it, and I went about my day. The next day he called rather early in the morning. He wanted to know if he could search my property as he suspected the cow may have given birth to a calf during her escape. She was desperately trying to get back to my property. Given that just over 24 hours had passed, he thought he would be looking for a body, but he was willing to take care of things.

Of course, as soon as I hung up, I was out in the yard searching for it. Guess what! As it turns out, I found the little guy (calf) curled up on the hillside. He didn't move in any way. I wasn't sure if he was alive or dead, but I started petting and talking to him. Then, his ear moved. He was still alive. I was soooo excited. Please keep in mind that I know basically nothing about cows, but I bet he sure was hungry since he hadn't nursed in 24 hours. The owner was quite happy he was found and alive. I requested that he take a couple of pictures of this adventure before the little one returned home to his momma. I checked in on him a week later, and all was well. I love happy endings.

Carol
Farmgirl Sister #6586

Edited by - CountryGalPal on Jun 10 2019 6:02:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2019 :  12:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Love the stories! I already have the book Winnie so don't sign me up. It is such a wonderful book!!! I love the white chili recipe in there.

I grew up on a dairy farm and now my husband and I are dairy farmers so I have all kinds of stories. One of my favorite memories is the first time I showed my heifer Lily at the fair. She was a red and white holstein. (The red is a recessive trait so they're not as popular as the black and white ones). The morning of the show I got her up early for a shower, haircut, and kept walking her around so she wouldn't get dirty or mess up her hair coat. I must have worn her out because the first thing she did when we walked in the show ring was lay down! I was so embarrassed.

I have lots of picture too!
This is one of my favorite cows Joanie and her new baby Juliette:

This is my favorite jersey Inky giving her baby Daisy a bath after she was born.

Here's Pippa and Daisy:

This is Wilma and her baby boy.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2019 :  2:41:49 PM  Show Profile
Awwwww, I LOVE ALL of these sweet stories and photos of cows in your life!!!!!!!!!! I have never lived on a farm or had any experience with cows, but I love milk and milk products and I am thankful to our dairy farmers who do the hard work of raising cows and getting the milk to market . Thank-you all for sharing!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2019 :  7:17:11 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, like Krista, I too love the Scottish Highland cows... our old across the pasture neighbor had 3 of them and I loved seeing them from my kitchen window. One day, on the way into town one of the younger S.H. was out walking along side the road... so I pulled over and "shooed" him
back into the gate driveway... then I went up to my neighbor's house and told the son that Norman was out walking on the road..I learend shortly afterwards that Norman and his 2 buddies were being raised for meat...
I decided that if there was a next time to rescue Norman, I would just put Norman in my car and take him home!!!

Well, that's my cow story, wish I had a photo of Norman.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jun 11 2019 7:20:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2019 :  3:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I would love to have my name put into the hat, Winnie.

I have no stories about milk cows, but my husband's loline/aberdeen and mini longhorn cows are pets and here are pictures of the latest two calves. Looks like they are mixed up - Aggie had a lighter color bull calf and Miss Longhorn had a black calf. The loline bull is black, but we think a reddish young bull may have bred with Aggie. LOL!
Both calves are in this picture - black one born Sunday and the other on Tuesday.
Here is the calf born on Monday and he is the cutie we kept.

Right before we left for vacation he sold 9 of his 12 cows. We travel so much and a couple of them were always getting out. Who knew the longhorn heifer and bull were fence jumpers. We still have Nova, his Zebu steer; Aggie, his very first loline heifer; and her new bull calf.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2019 :  3:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Grrr - wouldn't let me edit the above post -
I wanted to say the two jumpers I mentioned are the other two blondes in the picture that shows the mamas and both calves. They are the two in the middle. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Jun 24 2019 12:20:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2019 :  06:41:28 AM  Show Profile
I have no cow story just wanted to say I was the lucky FarmGirl who received MJ's Milk Cow Kitchen last year. As everything else MaryJane does the book is beautiful and cram packed with recipes and how to do pictures. This book is a must for any FarmGirl library whether you have a milk cow or not. Looking forward to knowing who the lucky FarmGirl is whose name will be drawn out of Winnie's basket.

Thanks Winnie for helping MaryJane with this year's give-away.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2019 :  2:31:25 PM  Show Profile
Please add me for the drawing. As a young child I thought all cows were Herfords...or Jerseys. My grandma had both. After I married we eventually bought 135 acres and cows, later they were sold and we started a dairy with Holsteins. Now my son raises Mexican cattle...because cowboys need roping steers!
My funny story comes from my first adult experience, with hungry cows ice storms and no hay! We had moved to the 135 acres and the cows were happy. My hubby went far away to work, where the crew was working and staying for four months. He came home every other weekend. Well one morning we awoke to the sound of Bawling cows! They would not stop! So I called hubby. He answered quickly and said they were iced in also. He told me the cows were hungry and I would have to go buy some hay to feed them. So I called my father in law who had grown up in this tiny community, and asked who might have some hay to sell. Then our young son and I got into my Chevy Blazer to drive some four miles on icy dirt roads to the home of the man I had called, where we bought two bales of hay because that was all that would fit in the blazer!
The cows were happy when we fed them one square bale. Then my son and I put the other bale inside the dining room for tomorrow.
Out the door I went to get something from my vehicle, when I turned around, went up the two steps and looked in the dining room... There was a cow, NO she was not standing up eating hay...she was spread eagled on my very clean, slick, shiny floor! YOU know A Big Bump of a Body with four legs and a tail sticking out!!! I was frantic! I called my son to help. Now I was about 32 years old and skinny my son was 12 and he was skinny too. How do you lift a big cow??? When I had a sane moment I made another phone call to hubby to give him your he news! I clearly heard those guys laughing at my predicament. So I hung up and began "encouraging that cow to get up! Get Up! Come on move!!! GET UP!!! Now, if you have ever lived with cows you know that a fall like that means she probably cannot get up...and be ok.
But God sent angels who lifted her up, made her legs work and after listening to my frantic voice for what seemed like half an hour or much more...she used those four legs to escape right back down those two steps and back with her other buddies! Whew!

Winnie and Mary Jane, thank you for this awesome prize for Dairy month.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.

Edited by - TexasGran on Jun 18 2019 2:33:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2019 :  4:33:32 PM  Show Profile
More wonderful stories and photos!!! Isn't it fun to hear about how many of you interacted with cows? I love hearing each story and imagining myself present in the same situation.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2019 :  11:43:03 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Linda! What an exciting book to win! I hope you enjoy it!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2019 :  12:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Linda! I hope you enjoy your book as much as I do.
Thanks MaryJane and Winnie for celebrating dairy month with us!!!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2019 :  12:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
WOW! Thank you so much, Winnie and MaryJane, for the Milk Cow Kitchen book. I will LOVE LOVE it. I can't wait to try the recipes. Thank you, again.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6393 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6393 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2019 :  12:38:22 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Linda, it is a wonderful book!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Colorado
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”
Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2019 :  12:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
Lucky Linda congratulations on your new book! I look forward to hearing about your favorite recipe or things in the book!

Farmgirl#7588
Laughter makes the heart strong!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2019 :  2:44:23 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Linda. Enjoy your new book!!

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2019 :  4:48:05 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Linda. Hope you enjoy the book

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

CountryGalPal
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Carol
Pulaski Tennessee
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2019 :  4:58:37 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Linda! I hope you enjoy the prize. It sounds amazing. :-)

Carol
Farmgirl Sister #6586
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2019 :  8:11:13 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Linda! You are Moo~valous!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2019 :  02:08:49 AM  Show Profile
Linda, congrats and enjoy MJMCK book.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2019 :  10:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I received the Milk Cow Kitchen book and I love it! The recipes sound wonderful. I can’t decide which one to try first. Thank you - Mary Jane and Winnie for offering this book.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2019 :  05:12:41 AM  Show Profile
It is a wonderful book and enjoy learning and trying new recipes . My thanks to MaryJane for adding this fun surprise to our National Dairy Month celebration!! When I first read this book with details of how to have a backyard cow, I wanted so badly to try it out!, if I hadn’t been living in a city, I would have done it. I settled for getting a butter churned instead as that was attainable!! LOL!!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic MaryJane's Milk Cow Kitchen book Giveaway!!WINNER Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page