texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 09 2019 :  07:25:39 AM  Show Profile
I love vintage Pyrex. I've been piecing together a "fridge set". The lid are hard to come by. Sometimes, it is cheaper to buy a whole piece than just a lid.

I found a red 50s fridgie (small, rectangular one) at a vintage store for about $8.00 My other, Early American set still needed two lids to complete it. Loved the little red one, but wanted to re-purpose in the camper as a scrubbie holder. Was at a thrift store and got two fridgies with lids for $3.00! However, the bottom part was sooooo faded, almost all the paint was gone. I wanted my "good" red one back in the house.

Since I had two extra bottoms with now no lids, I decided to paint the worst one. I won't be using it for food or food storage, just a scrubby holder by the sink in the vintage camper. (It also has a higher chance of breakage with travel). Anyway, I used spray paint, plus a brush. I used wd40 to wipe off any mistakes. It proved to be messy, but I got it done. You really can't tell unless you take it outside and hold it up to the light, then you can see "mistakes".

I probably won't ever do it again, but am happy with this one for the use. It was messy to do, as well. Curious...has anyone else painted Pyrex that was so far gone?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - May 09 2019 :  07:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
Texdane your happy with it! That's what works best! Lol! I'm inspired to see your comeback! I'm in an area with no members but one who responded from my West side of state. It's just reassuring that I can make a call out and get a seasonal chapter going maybe! I love it!

Farmgirl#7588
Laughter makes the heart strong!
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 09 2019 :  07:43:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Vicki, thank you! The painted piece works for what I want to do use it for.

As for my chapter, I hope it can get up and running again. For awhile, we had a lot of members and were really busy. Everyone moved away! I am one of the only ones left that haven't left New England! We shall see. It may start out small again, but that is okay.

Love your area! I can't wait until the Miniatures Event in Sturbridge again. Sturbridge isn't that far from me...I like to head that way several times a year.

A seasonal chapter is a great idea!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - May 10 2019 :  3:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, what a great idea...
and like you, luv vtg. pyrex...
>^..^<

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - May 13 2019 :  1:11:44 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, it's our tiny "mistakes" that make our projects unique and special! No one else can make those exact same ones. I think those times "mistakes" are actually wonderful to have! Don't stress about it. I bet it looks amazing! And a nice new touch for your camper.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - May 13 2019 :  1:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
Nicole, if you are coming up to Sturbridge I would like to buy you a cuppa something and say hi! You could be my first live Farmgirl connection! Think about it and email me!

Farmgirl#7588
Laughter makes the heart strong!
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 13 2019 :  2:01:15 PM  Show Profile
Vicki, How fun! I would love to! I will email you today. Not sure when I will be heading to Sturbridge but you are not far from me at all. Love it there.

I am happy with the little Pyrex. Looks like a good PYrex unless you hold it to the light. It was a "bonus" piece and for the use I am doing with it, it works. Will post a pic when I don't need a canoe to get to the camper. It's been raining, raining, raining. Even Noah got a break after forty days! (Insert eye roll here)...

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Painted Pyrex Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic