ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - May 03 2019 :  07:44:43 AM  Show Profile
I would like to ask that all of you farmgirls that bike, hike, run, or walk along roads to please wear super bright colors so you stand out to drivers. I have noticed that many people tend to wear black, brown, and dark greens when they are doing these activities. This makes it very difficult for drivers to spot them, especially when going around corners or hills. I do my best to be diligent while driving, but some folks don't realize the clothes they wear blend in way too much with their surroundings.

Neon colors really help catch my eye and many a time a flash of neon yellow, pink, or orange warned me there is someone on the road ahead.

Have a safe & fun spring!
Dawn in IL

When it rains look for rainbows, when it's dark look for stars.

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - May 03 2019 :  4:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dawn,
I had a close call once. This woman wearing dark clothes walked in front of my car in a dark parking lot. I am glad I did not hit her. She yelled a profanity at me as I had to make a quick stop. I wanted to get out and ask her why was she not taking caution but my BFF asked me not to so I didn't. For some reason people out here thinks pedestrians always have the right of way but they do not. They just walk right,out in front of you. I had to adjust my parking habits to avoid store fronts where it is worst.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends.
Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - May 03 2019 :  4:35:38 PM  Show Profile
I've had similar experiences as you had Nancy. Today at the Morton Arboretum two women in dark brown outfits came jogging around a blind curve causing me to serve quickly since they were in the middle of the road. The one yelled at me to slow down. I wanted to pull over and tell them both to not wear camouflage while running, but skipped it. Common sense should have told them that people are busy looking around at the beautiful woods & wildflowers and don't always look straight ahead. I'm a volunteer there and always on the alert, but today they startled me thanks to the curve & they're blending in so much.

I always tell my sons that it doesn't matter if you have the right away as a pedestrian, the cars always win!

Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 04 2019 :  04:24:12 AM  Show Profile
good advice Dawn.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - May 04 2019 :  5:53:25 PM  Show Profile
Such a great suggestion Dawn! And especially important for members of the younger generations who often have their gadgets in their hands and headphones on their ears so they are usually not even remotely tuned into the environment around them or the danger they put themselves in by their lack of awareness. Unfortunately this problem can work the other way around too......I was stopped at an intersection a few weeks ago waiting for a pedestrian to cross so I could turn right when a young man ran right into my truck as he was jogging along...he had not even looked up from his device to notice the crosswalk sign was red. There was a police officer on a bike nearby who witnessed the accident and came over to make sure the guy was OK then gave him a written warning. No damage to my truck but I'm sure the guy had some bruises. Just not smart to be out in the same territory as vehicles if you aren't well marked and paying attention!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - May 05 2019 :  12:52:47 PM  Show Profile
I agree Marilyn! People don't pay close enough attention to their surroundings. I really dislike when they are wearing a headset or ear buds. I always like to listen what is going on around me when I'm riding my bike or hiking, even on trails where there isn't any motor vehicles. Our town has a college in it and those students never look before they walk into the street. Crosswalk or not, everyone should always be on the alert to stay safe!

Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page
  Sporty Farmgirls: Previous Topic Keep it bright! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page