YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2019 :  10:25:39 AM  Show Profile
After I posted this morning about how disappointed I am with this year's garden I watered. First of Aug I cut down my eggplants because for months they had blossoms but no fruit. I haven't watered that part of the raised bed since. Only rained a couple of times but three of the cut down eggplants are showing leaves. I may have eggplants - I may not but there's hope. I watered them really good and when the sun goes down I will feed them.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2019 :  03:18:04 AM  Show Profile
My garden is doing pretty good. The peas and beans were a flop, got a few cups and that was about it. Corn is coming along, hoping for no storms or coons. Potatoes look good. Carrots i could start digging soon. I plan on canning a few pints of those. I did pull everything out of a raised bed i have. I planted lettuce in there. Hoping for a nice fall crop of that. Garlic is drying, that did well. Broccoli, cauliflower, celery, peppers have all been put in the freezer. Chickens are enjoying zucchini, and cucumbers. Sara, i have planted the same garlic for close to 20 years now. I keep a few heads and plant the cloves in October. I usually plant 12-15 cloves. The rest i hang to dry after harvesting, then bring in the house. Next spring i will dry what we have not used.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2019 :  03:27:36 AM  Show Profile
Michele chickens do come in handy for cleaning up a garden. Next year I will try to remember to save some garlic to replant.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2019 :  04:25:53 AM  Show Profile
they really enjoy the garden produce too. They are in a yard, but every evening i let them out in the yard to graze.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

jenny_janicek
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Jennifer
McMinnville Tennessee
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2019 :  06:12:39 AM  Show Profile
Jump into the conversation late but I'm just starting our fall garden seedlings ( mostly greens, broccoli, beets and radishes ) but I am throughly over the garden this year. We've had record heat waves and long dry spells that kept me watering long into dusk when I was attacked by swarms of mosquitos! I did enjoy the zinna overload we had because it brought new varities of birds. We had a dozen or more Gold Finches flock to our patch this year! After I transplant the seedlings into the beds, I pulling the rest of the garden ( mainly tomatoes ) and calling it a year. We are expanding the kitchen garden next year and saying so long to tradtional field gardens ( minus the corn and sunflower garden ) I'm finding raised beds are much mjuch easier to maintain and going with the French potager method of combining flowers and veg in the same beds, I get a bigger yield ( thank you Monty Don for teaching me that lol )

My dream garden is a combo of a french potager and a rambling english cottage. Think Monty Don meets Tasha Tudor
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2019 :  06:43:19 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer happy fall gardening - hopefully it will be a good one.

My Swiss chard is finally looking good. May have my first taste next week. The eggplants are coming back healthy - will have to wait and see if they make.

Been putting off last harvest of herbs but I need to get it done soon. Still too hot for me to be outside for any length of time 10-15 minutes is my max.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2019 :  09:39:22 AM  Show Profile
We got hammered by the 'hoppers' this year,, my mints. roses,(deer snack) iris and other plants became a veritable Smorgasboard.. to the Grass hoppers!
I walk out into the lawn and get pelted by them,, when they try to jump out of my path...uugh!

I am not crazy about Hoopers! I wish I had some Hooper eating birds around to make short work of those distructive lil pests!

Anyone want some Hoopers to use as bait for fishing? heeheehee!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Aug 31 2019 09:40:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2019 :  10:07:20 AM  Show Profile
Grace so sorry to hear about your grasshopper invasion. Twenty something years ago they invaded my part of Texas and I was caught driving on a country road through a swarm. Had to turn on my windshield wipers to see. It was like driving on wet mud with all the dead bodies. I know mockingbirds like to chow down on them.

Lower temps and rain twice this week so my garden is perking up. I rate my garden this year a "D-" for vegetables; "A" for herbs and flowers; "B" for roses.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2019 :  11:22:44 AM  Show Profile
I really don't mean to brag, but with all the rain we've had our garden is huge and doing well. I wish I could send rain to those who need it!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2019 :  1:29:46 PM  Show Profile
Grace
You are describing my yard also. So many grasshoppers its sickening. Temps are so hot and my chickens stay under all the trees and have had all their share of them so they dont eat them much anymore.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014 & January 2019
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2019 :  1:30:59 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie
You are so blessed.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014 & January 2019
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2019 :  5:29:31 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie... lucky ducky... wish my garden were perkier... but allas, twixt the month long house guests, week long camping and Hoopers... my garden didn't stand a chance...
but...
there is always next year!

lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2019 :  5:31:13 PM  Show Profile
Got corn picked this morning. The deer have ate off the rest of my broccoli, and tomatoes, and cabbage. I had some second heads of cabbage coming and they are chomped into. I plan on digging carrots tomorrow. The sunflowers have done well, but the last storm has blown some of them down. I will start cleaning some of the garden out now. I will rate my garden this year as a C+.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2019 :  1:32:00 PM  Show Profile
Got the e-mail from Brian about MJF garlic seed. I ordered 1/2 lb and will plant in raised bed. I love the idea of having heirloom plants and MJF garlic are heirloom. I also have elephant garlic to plant. That will take up all the empty spaces in raised beds.

I had planned to sow the borage seeds Grace "Katmom" is sending me in raised bed but I will now sow them in large pots in the spring. One thing about gardening there is always a plan B or in some cases C & D.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2019 :  7:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Sara,, the seeds should arrive by Saturday.. enjoy.

•Borage ( Borago officinalis ), an annual herb

Growing Borage - How To Grow And Use Borage Plant In The ...

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/borage/borage-herb.htm

Borage herb is not a fussy plant and has been known to grow in refuse piles and highway ditches. Be assured you want the plant to regrow annually or remove the flowers before it seeds. Growing borage requires a dedicated space in the home garden. Borage Herb Harvest. Sowing the seeds every four weeks will ensure a ready supply of borage flowers.

•Borage is a good companion plant, especially with strawberries.
•Since this plant self-seeds readily, you won't need to plant it again.
•Bees love borage flowers.
•Borage can manage all climates except extremely cold ones.
•Borage will grow well indoors in a container of quality, moist potting mixture.

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Sep 05 2019 8:22:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2019 :  03:51:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace for the info on growing borage. I'll copy & print out. Looking forward to having it in my garden for the bees and me.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2019 :  11:21:59 AM  Show Profile
Glad you will enjoy them.. I love that the Borage is such a Happy Place for all types of Bees...

fyi,, I have some errant Borage plants popping up in the grass,, the seeds must have managed to blow into the yard thanx to the winds

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Sep 06 2019 11:23:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2019 :  10:45:27 AM  Show Profile
On page 89 of Oct-Nov 2019 MJF magazine is an ad for a worm composter "Worm Factory". Just what I have been looking for. I now compost in 3 containers that are all full but not composted yet so I need a faster way to compost. I gifted myself an early Christmas and birthday gifts and ordered one that comes with worms. I'm excited and will keep y'all posted on how it works for me. I'm going to be a worm farmer in my own kitchen.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2019 :  4:27:28 PM  Show Profile
Grace I received the borage seeds today. Thanks for sending them to me and taking the time to write info on borage. BTW that's the cutest wee envelope the seeds are in.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2019 :  10:52:01 PM  Show Profile
'Sow" glad they arrived...
enjoy...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2019 :  09:57:52 AM  Show Profile
It's getting to that time of the year where we all need to know the first frost date for our zone. Northeast Texas first frost date is mid-Nov so I have over a month to be ready.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2019 :  5:21:39 PM  Show Profile
Just got my garden cleaned out for the year. Mowed off the weeds that came up too. I don't know how those weeds got in there, but they did. lol Got some partially green pumpkins, hoping they turn orange all the way. Will give them to the grandkids. Next up get the flower beds clean up again. I have a third crop of celery coming along. I did not mow them off. Our first frost can come anytime in October now, and I am ready.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  12:09:38 PM  Show Profile
Well, I should be emberassed to say,, I procrastinated and didn't get my 'work' done and then we had a not normal snow fall.. my poor roses, a couple of lavenders and peony plants are paying the price for my being lazy...

Oh and I had to re-locate my Bee Hotel to an area that gets no snow....I hope my slumbering bees will be ok.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  1:20:19 PM  Show Profile
Grace i hope you are done with snow for a while now. We had rain most of the morning, and I turned on the heat pump. 64 is a bit cool in the house. Picked a bunch of lettuce this morning. A fall crop in my stock tank raised bed.
Sara how is the worm farming going? I hope they do a good job of composting for you.

Farming in WI

Michele

Farmgirl of the Month 6-19
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  1:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Michele, One thing I can say about my waggle of worms is they are a quiet bunch. lol

I fed them today before I prepped apples for apple pie so they will have a treat tomorrow. Thinking about using most of the apple peeling and cores for ACV. Or I may just put all the peelings and cores in food processer and make worm food for the next week. Hope they like their food cold.

It took me several days to get the moisture right. There's definitively a learning curve to worm farming. Info said the first tray should be ready in three months. That will be Dec so it will have to be stored for the spring. I read the directions on storing but have forgotten what it said so I will have to read it again.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Garden Gate: Previous Topic 2019 Our Gardens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page