katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16960 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16960 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  11:05:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh and speaking of gardens,, I just received in the mail some seed packets I ordered,,, problem is,,, still have several feet of snow,,, 'sow' I guess I will continue to sit by the window, sipping my coffee and day dream of when Spring comes and I can plant my seeds....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  3:44:58 PM  Show Profile
You know, it just hit me... We don't even have straw here. As odd as that sounds. Hay, yes. Straw, no. And the hay here is almost always from treated pastures so I don't use it in my garden. :(

Grace, I know what you mean. It has been very cold here the past few days and I am beyond READY for spring.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2019 :  05:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I transplanted my little bay tree into a larger pot. Watered it good and with rain today it should be just fine.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  11:30:35 AM  Show Profile
So far my year is off. I haven't even decided what I want in my garden yet. Luckily I still have time but not a lot. I think I will have the kids help me decide. I'm positive I will do onions though. I use them so frequently in my cooking! I'll get back with you all once I decide.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  12:18:24 PM  Show Profile
Krista, onions are a good choice. Once you start looking at seed catalogs your list will grow.

Transplanted my Rise & Shine yellow container rose to a larger pot this morning. The green onions are growing but we have been having more grey days than sunny. The live plants I ordered back in Jan should be here on the 25th. Hope the sun is out to stay by then. I would like to get several red cabbage plants to put in containers.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  1:44:22 PM  Show Profile
Sara,

I need to get a bay tree. I think it would be fun!

I did a lot of transplanting over the weekend, despite having a yucky cold. It was sunny and so warm and I needed to be outside! I transplanted tomato seedlings into "party cups", then two yellow pear tomatoes into a large pot on my porch. I know it will freeze at least another time or two but I'll just cover it up. My peas are coming up; sweet peas and sugar snaps. Lettuce is coming up as well. Cabbage, broccoli, and onions are getting bigger by the day.

I had a real "oops" week about 3 weeks ago and left my seeds outside in a plastic container (NOOOOOOOO!). Of course, they got sopping wet and all went to sprouting, so now I just have an "Oops" garden. Kohlrabi, greens, and carrots every....where. Thank GOODNESS my tomato seeds were in plastic and didn't get wet. I have no idea why I even had those out. It was a stupid mistake that I won't make again!

I want some red cabbage as well, Sara, but it's getting too late for me to plant that here now.

a

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  1:54:25 PM  Show Profile
Amanda it's almost too late here too. They won't have to get too big just enough for each head to fill a quart jar with sauerkraut. I really like red cabbage sauerkraut and it's so pretty.

You grow a wide range of plants. Your garden must be beautiful in full growth.

In the fall I think I may try horseradish. Have you grown it?

My little bay tree keeps my sisters and me in both fresh and dried bay leaves. I have to keep it pruned because of wintering it over in the house. During the spring, summer, and early fall I don't prune it unless a branch grows a little wonky.

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  7:18:42 PM  Show Profile
I cleaned out the bed I'm going to use as an herb bed today. Getting itchy to plant something.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  02:44:33 AM  Show Profile
Nora, doesn't it feel good to play in the dirt once again. Have fun planting your herbs. They are my favorite things to grow followed by yellow roses.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2019 :  08:03:49 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I transplanted my pennyroyal plant into a larger pot. Pennyroyal, a member of the mint family, is a good insect & flea repellant. I dry it and hang in my Yellow Rose Cottage.

Today is the average last frost date for my part of Texas. Hope is on the way for a good growing season. May all our gardens be blessed.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2019 :  03:48:41 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I bought 6 red cabbage plants; 1 Italian parsley; and 1 red germanium. All are in larger pots on the deck. Yellow rose "Mrs Oakley Fisher" is scheduled to be delivered today and she will go into a large pot on the deck too.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2019 :  04:54:01 AM  Show Profile
Our snow is melting, but a long way to go till things thaw out. I do need to go get my seeds. I usually just buy organic at Menards or Farm and Fleet. Hope every thing grows and produces well for all. We have just started maple syrup season. taps went out on Sunday. Hoping we have a good run.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2019 :  05:45:56 AM  Show Profile
Michele may all your taps flow & flow. Have fun looking through your seed catalogs and making your list.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2019 :  11:15:39 AM  Show Profile
Today I dumped the first of four large plastic pots I used to compost last fall. I had enough good composted material plus earthworms to cover one 8' X 1' raised bed with two inches of black gold. The empty pot will soon be filled with kitchen parings and leaves and the process will start all over again.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  08:11:18 AM  Show Profile
The plants I ordered in Jan came a couple of days ago. Following their directions I set them on the deck in partial shade and watered them. Today I put them all in raised beds.

3 eggplants
6 Ruby red Swiss Chard
2 walking onions - I gave one onion to BIL
2 lemon thyme
1 window box sage
1 Thai basil
1 Syrian oregano
1 Italian oregano

I love - love my raised beds that are 2 cinder blocks high. No bending which is good because I don't bend like I used to. lol

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  08:26:34 AM  Show Profile
I am so bummed out! So Cal has had a lot of rain and now it is great weather for planting but I can't. Since I retired I have been painting and packing and landscaping. Hubby wants to move Asap. Here is a picture of the front of our house. It was Hubby's idea for the design. I think he did a great job. We still have to add sod to meet the fencing he made.

(There is a succulent at the other end a little hidden by the stone. The square stepping stones allow us to get to the utilitie shut off)

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends.
Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  09:55:27 AM  Show Profile
Nancy the new bed looks really nice.

We're having a cold snap - temps back in the 40s over next couple of days - hope it doesn't get down to freezing so my new plants will be okay without being covered.

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  12:00:37 PM  Show Profile
I have to chime in here and vent some at myself. I just planted my
garden last week and then used straw in between rows and around my plants. It looked nice. Well not really thinking I let the chickens out, they never go into that area....until. Yep you guessed it, I went running out there screaming at them and they come running up to me like I was going to reward them and give them treats. Then I catch myself, I should have known better. What a mess my garden is now, I was able to find the plants, but I will have to wait for the seeds to sprout to figure out where they are. Too trusting of chickens. Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  12:23:27 PM  Show Profile
Karla I know you are aggravated but it is a funny story. I can just see you running out to stop them. I have a theory that chickens and dogs are like toddlers - you never know what they will do next. The other day I put one walking onion plant into a pot for my BIL and put it between containers of a yellow rose and bay tree on the deck. Annie found it and later I found the pot in the backyard chewed up and the onion mangled. Repotted it and will wait to see if it makes it.

All the plants I put into raised beds are looking good except for the 6 Swiss chard. The wind has really been blowing and the chard is looking a little worse for wear. The 3 eggplants in the same bed are doing fine.

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  4:43:37 PM  Show Profile
Planted peas, lettuce, radishes and onions.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16960 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16960 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  8:44:59 PM  Show Profile
The majority of the snow around our property is melted except around the Blue Spruce,, but the Quail like still being surround by the snow....
I won't really be able to do much in the way of gardening this year,,, but there will always be a few tomato plants.... :>)

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2019 :  02:56:50 AM  Show Profile
Nora, that's a lot to get in the ground. Well Done.

Grace one of the things I like about gardening is it gives us something to dream about for the next year or season.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2019 :  12:45:08 PM  Show Profile
Today I got two creeping rosemary plants for two pots along sidewalk to front porch. I bought six creeping rosemary plants a couple of years ago and they do really good here. They stay green through the winter and require little care. I have them on each side of the sidewalk. Since they are along the sidewalk I keep them cutback by using them in cooking. Today I cut three tips that were coming out onto the sidewalk. Smells so good on roasting chicken with lemons.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16960 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16960 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2019 :  10:11:38 PM  Show Profile
So, while out in the garage rummaging through some still packed boxes, I found my basket of Bulbs that I had dug up out of my garden last year.. and they were sprouting,,, so I got busy and planted them in the ground in my bulb garden.
I planted Glads and Iris' as well as paper whites,,, fingers crossed the deer will leave them alone.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2019 :  04:38:25 AM  Show Profile
Grace I have never had to worry about deer but I have heard they don't like irises. I've grown my Grandma's irises for over forty years and I've never had anything eat on them - no insect or animal will come near them.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Garden Gate: Previous Topic 2019 Our Gardens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page