YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  04:32:42 AM  Show Profile
Whether you garden in containers on your deck; in raised beds; or long rows they're our gardens and we like to talk about them. For us in warmer states cold crops can go in the ground mid Feb so it's time for seed catalogs and making plans.

Know your last frost date. Know what zone you are in. It's time to find out. I live in northeast Texas in Zone 7 and my last frost date is March 18. Most cold crops go in four weeks before last frost date so I am planning to plant around Feb 18.

On Wed I will order live vegetable plants to be delivered by Feb 18 or as close as I can get to it. They will go in two 1' X 8' X 1' raised beds. The beds are made of cedar on two high cinder blocks so I don't have to bend over to garden. I have herbs in two other raised beds on cinder blocks.

6 Red Russian Kale
6 Tri-colored Swiss Chard
2 Leeks - test to see if I can grow them in raised bed
2 Walking - Egyptian Onions - another test
2 Green Cabbage - for sauerkraut

Herbs I either will have to replace or are annuals I will buy locally for planting in April. April is also when I start thinking about flowers.

That's my garden story for now. What's yours'?

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4702 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4702 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  07:20:14 AM  Show Profile
It always amazes me how early you farmgirls that live in the South can start your gardens. Here in the Chicagoland area I am only at the dreaming and reading gardening magazines at the bookstore stage. Our last frost date is May 15 so it will be awhile before anything gets planted. Keep us posted please on how your vegetables do. Post pictures while you are at it. Those of us who have long winters are in need of a color fix during the winter months!

Dawn in IL

In winter the stars seem to have rekindled their fires, the moon achieves a fuller triumph, and the heavens wear a look of a more exalted simplicity. ~John Burroughs, "The Snow-Walkers," 1866
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  07:52:53 AM  Show Profile
Dawn when it comes to gardening nothing is perfect. By the time you are getting started I'm watering everyday before daylight to beat the 100+ temperatures and with no rain trying to keep my plants alive. By fall I'm ready to put it all to bed just to be exited come the New Year and the prospect of playing in the dirt again.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  09:53:25 AM  Show Profile
Seed catalogs have been arriving but it is too soon to start thinking about this. I usually start my seeds in March and get them in the ground in April. I am still waiting for one specific catalog, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company, for specifically for their tomatoes, before I start placing orders.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  10:00:46 AM  Show Profile
Jana back in the day when I started from seed Baker's was one of my favorite suppliers. Love their catalog.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  11:14:31 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I just recently learned about them and being a tomato lover I was attracted to their wide variety after a youtube channel I follow mentioned them. After years of gardening the same things, the last two years I have been trying new varieties with great results. This year I am also trying a soil blocker for my seed starters.

Jana
MJF #7110

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  1:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Jana, I'm seen the blockers in seed catalogs - let us know how it works out. I too like to try something new every year. This year it's walking onions and leeks.

Last year I planted 6 trailing rosemary plants along sidewalk to front porch. They spread during the summer and so far they are surviving the winter. Rosemary is one of the few herbs I can harvest in winter.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  2:18:37 PM  Show Profile
Sara, what are walking onions, I have never heard of them. I haven't had much luck with onions, garlic or potatoes here in SoCal. I know what you mean about the rosemary, we have four plants that we trim once a year that hanging down a cinder block wall to add color to the front of an apartment building. This area is my project for 2019, expanding my garden for more summer veggies. The buildings are next door to each other and have been in the family since the early 1960's. It has been fun bringing life to the garden the last 10 years and attract a lot of the neighbors to stop by on their walks to talk about the plants, birds, butterflies and squirrels who have taken up residency.

Jana
MJF #7110

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  2:32:45 PM  Show Profile
Jana, walking onions have onion bulbs at the end of the green stalks. The bulbs are heavy so they bend over and touch the soil taking root to make another onion. You can eat the top bulbs and also what's in the ground. I'll be growing them in a limited space so if they take root I will have to transfer them to a flower bed or container. I figure with just two plants I should be able to manage them.

Your garden sounds wonderful and to meet people is an bonus. This fall a teenage girl rang my doorbell and wanted to know if she could give me a plant. I remembered her from seeing her walk by on her way to school bus stop when I was watering in the mornings. I would speak to her but never knew her name. She gifted me a coleus which I planted in front flowerbed so she could see it when she walked by. I hope it winters over and comes back in the spring. Gardens do have a way of bringing people together like a teenage girl and a 76 year old woman.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2855 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2855 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  3:19:23 PM  Show Profile
I used a soil blocker last year and loved it.
Sara, coleus do pretty well but maybe you could see if there are a few seeds to pinch off and you could multiply that lovely young girls gift
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  3:50:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Lisa, I never thought about them having seeds.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2855 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2855 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  3:56:42 PM  Show Profile
Sara, when they start to flower in the fall, just pinch off and there will be seeds. Hopefully you can find some and spread around and maybe cover with some leaves etc.
If not you may want to dig up and bring inside before it gets too cold. You can overwinter. They like temps above 60
I so hope your friend's gift lives on!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  4:06:50 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, it will have to make it where it is now. I only have room to winter over one plant and that's my bay tree. Annie patrols all the other windows. It's covered with leaves so it may have a fighting chance.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2019 :  05:53:19 AM  Show Profile
Well, my plans are on hold. All the vegetable seedings I wanted to order except for the walking onions are out of stock. They will notify me when back in stock. I have six weeks before time to plant so if they don't have what I want back in stock by then I will go with what the local nurseries have to offer.

Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2019 :  07:42:07 AM  Show Profile
Ordering seeds for butterflies, hummingbirds, and bees. Planning vegetable garden, checking seeds on hand, warming up seed-starting bench. Waiting on new fig plants and trying to get cuttings off old fig tree to root.

Last frost date is Mar. 4, my planting zone is 9a

I have good success with the folded paper pots, starting seeds and transplanting.

Find something to smile about every day. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2019 :  07:52:48 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn your plans for beneficial insect garden sounds wonderful. Glad you have found something you are happy with starting your seeds. I've given up on starting seeds. I now buy live seedlings and divide older plants.

I'm not sure I know where Magnolia is. Guessing it's somewhere around the Houston area or east Texas.

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2019 :  05:01:53 AM  Show Profile
Hay there.

I have been in a rush to get all my gardening supplies and plans worked out. I have a can of seeds that will be planted this year and I just now sent in my order for zinnias and ranunculus. I even ordered a few cosmos. These are varieties that are different from any I can get in the little packages at the garden centers around my area. I will be making a huge order of lavender as soon as I get the areas prepped for them. I know I am getting ahead of myself but spring be on top of us before we know it. I still have so much ranch work to get done and lots of fences to build to keep livestock from the planting areas but I am sooo soooo ready. Oh, and lets not forget the vegie garden needs prepping soon too.
My oh my. I will sleep when I'm dead.

Hugs,
Daizy

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2019 :  05:34:20 AM  Show Profile
Daizy I know what you mean about spring being here before we know it. No matter how much I plan and prep it seems like when it's finally planting time I am running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

It been raining the last couple of days. Good to see winter rain - it'll make for a good garden.

Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2019 :  06:36:38 AM  Show Profile
YellowRose, Magnolia is 40 min north of Houston. Looked you up on a map, you are way up there in north Texas. How long is your growing season, down here on the coast we have 300 days, barring early and late frosts, floods, and heat.

Find something to smile about every day. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2019 :  06:46:03 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn don't know the exact days but we go from mid Feb through several frost in Nov.

Go to Top of Page

Bluedog355
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Diana
Alstead New Hampshire
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  6:43:10 PM  Show Profile
This is a joyful thread to follow! The comments on gardens bringing people together reminded me of a book we read while I worked as a para in a 6th grade - it is called "Seedfolks" by Paul Fleischman, quite enjoyable I thought. I'm in the Northeast, so no planting here for awhile, I enjoy the Fedco catalog & Johnny's Seeds. The possibilities seem limitless! My cousin came to visit & she enjoys starting little terrariums, so we made 3 while she was here! They have creeping fig, selaginella and one also has a stem of wandering jew and a peperomia variety as well. She has many in her windows, she also starts more creeping fig in upside down clock domes that hang in macrame plant hangers that also house guppies! (I knew goldfish & betas could live in a bowl, but never knew guppies could!). So until more can be done outside, I will focus on my house plants! (I have done some prep work outside, before we got much snow, but nothing too exciting)

Diana
FarmGirl Sister #6578
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  11:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Diana, happy you are joining us in talking about our gardens whether for now they be inside or out. Your terrariums sound really neat. I ordered from Johnnie's Seeds when I used to start from seed. I liked that they are an employee owned company.

Mulling over changing my mind about what to plant in the two raised beds. May go with herbs like in the other two raised beds. I can always buy my veggies at the grocery store or fruit stand. I really like growing herbs and could easily fill the beds with them. Many herbs are perennials and that's a good thing..

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2019 :  05:37:19 AM  Show Profile
Well I placed my order for live plants Sunday. They will be delivered last week in March. I thought and thought some more about what I wanted to plant before I made the order. So this is what I ended up with:

6 Swiss Chard so I can pick the tender leaves for sautéing
3 Walking Onions
3 Eggplant - I like small eggplants
1 Thai Basil
1 Syrian Oregano - known as the Biblical Hyssop
1 Italian Oregano
1 Window Box Garden Sage
2 Lemon Thyme

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4827 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4827 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  3:52:30 PM  Show Profile
I got seed catalogs last week! I can't wait! I am going to try and add another raised bed this year! My Black-eyed Susans took over this bed last year!

Connie #3392
Imagine....
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4827 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4827 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  3:53:41 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I love herbs, lemon thyme is one of my favorites!! Dill and Rosemary and oregano!

Connie #3392
Imagine....
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16931 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16931 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2019 :  7:11:32 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm, so far all I have is ice on the ground,,, gardening is a 4 months off... oh sigh,,, I will just have to garden vicariously through you gals...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Garden Gate: Previous Topic 2019 Our Gardens Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page