Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Mckensey
Gambier Ohio
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2018 :  12:03:12 PM  Show Profile

Hello All,

Its that time of the year again where the warmth of summer is now behind us and most of us should have a descent size pile of firewood sitting close by to keep us nice and toasty warm. I live in Ohio so deer archery season has been in full swing since the end of September. My husband and I like to rotate days on who gets to go out. Some one has to watch the kids.
Anyways last week I was able to venture out for the first time this season and it wasn't necessarily a successful hunt I was able to come away eager and excited for my next outing. I woke up at 4:00am knowing the outside temperature was only 29 degrees and wind gusts of up to 30mph. Leaving the air temperature at or below 12. I suited up and with a kiss of good luck from my husband I was off down the road. Once to the property I trekked in complete darkness for about half a mile to get to our tree stand. Once I was safely up and secure in my harness I relaxed. As I sat there the tree swayed back and forth trying to lull me back to sleep. The view of the predawn sky was crisp, clear and glimmering with stars and kept my full attention. At shooting light a young doe came slowly in feeding on acorns. Closely behind was a mature eight point buck hot on her trail. He startled her and pushed her twenty feet behind my stand and out toward the field. I watched in wonder as they danced their dance and flitted away into the adjacent woods. I knew I could have stopped him but my sense of urgency for meat is not heavily upon my mind right now. About two hours later I made my way down the stand and headed home. It was a wonderful and exciting fist day back out in the woods. I didn't come away completely empty handed. I left those woods with hope and a story that my children and family will gather around to hear and listen as I talk about the wonders and beauty of my hunt.
If any of you ladies have hunting stories you would love to share I would love to listen!

God bless you all. Farmgirl Mckensey #7733

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2018 :  4:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Nice that you like to hunt---I cannot stand to kill anything. The only woman hunter I know is my cousin---she got a deer last year and her brothers didn't. Now we are in the middle of gun season and I will be glad when it is over.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

strength.dignity
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jamie
WAUSAU WI
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2018 :  5:09:28 PM  Show Profile
I am so happy I am not the only farm girl who likes to hunt. This year was my very first year, my hubby and I don't have any kids so it is wonderful spent "together". Last spring we built my stand on the end of a field. In the beginning of the season I didn't see much. I just loved sitting out there though. The birds singing in the trees right behind me and occasionally a doe with a fawn. I never will shot at a mama with her baby, just cool to watch them. My husband took the last week of October off to hunt, I unfortunately was only able to take one morning off. It proved to be the only time I needed. I walked to my stand, climbed it, put my crossbow on its hook, sat down and looked up. As I looked up something moved in the corner of my eye, a spiker was coming into the field. I slowly zipped open my pack and grabbed my range finder, he was 50 yards away. I made a noise to get him to stop, slowly grabbed my bow, took a deep breath, and shot. About 100 yards in the woods he was laying. It was an experience I will never forget. I can not wait until next year, even if I just sit and watch the birds.

~ Jamie
Farmgirl #7695

"She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future." Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

Mrswise1
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Mckensey
Gambier Ohio
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2018 :  05:37:07 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jamie,
That's a nice looking deer, he is big bodied.My first deer hunt was in 2013 and after that I was hooked! But that is what we fill our freeze with and whatever things are in season to supplement with the deer meat. So we have also done squirrel hunting, Turkey hunting, dove hunting, goose hunting. All of the meat tastes wonderfully different and if you ever need a quick easy recipe, I have got them! If you havnt tried turkey hunting, you should! It is so much fun listening to them in the spring gobbling and the toms strutting around. I know if you had fun hunting deer you will love turkey hunting. What state do you guys hunt in or do you have to travel somewhere else to go hunting? Thanks for telling your story by the way. I don't have any women close to me that goes hunting. So it nice to see other women participating.
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Archery Hunting Season Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page