Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2018 :  5:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
Hello! I'm new here. I've read Mary Jane's Farm magazine for many many years! I've enjoyed every issue!

I have wanted to live in the Country ever since I was 3 and my parents purchased about 1 acre of lake property in the Emily MN area. We spent every weekend we could there and most of the summer.

After I married at 19 I continued to go there with my kids. When I was 33 we bought our own lake property- about 3 acres on 280' of Lake Mary, Emily MN. It was wonderful, but I felt like I was still missing a life of living off the land. I read ads constantly looking for my "farm".

When I was 43 I found it. The Lord truly blessed us! We bought 19.25 acres eight miles from Emily. It had been a farm up until the late 80s when its farmer had died. And when we bought it it was a motorcycle repair shop! Lots and lots of garbage removal later, we tore down the house, garage, pig shed, chicken "coop", horse stanchion, and completely overgrown front pasture fencing. Phew!

We built a 30' x 60' garage/building. Another 16 years later we sold our lake property and moved over here. We brought our old lake trailer, purchased a new larger trailer, and finished off the living quarters of the garage- we call it the Lodge. :o) No indoor plumbing, but we do have a well.

I have never found work this far north so we still can't live here. (I'm up for the month of September) We work/live in St Cloud running a 4 bed group home for adults with disabilities. Due to my health there won't be any farming. I do have 2 British Labs, a Rat Terrier, and 2 Sphynx (hairless) cats I adore.

My husband does not want to live here permanently. So we summer here as much as we can and close up for winter. It's a lot colder here than the Lake. Our land is wet. Which is great in summer heat, but freezing in winter!

I have 21 children.
Four by birth (42,39,37 and yes 14- LOL! a surprise!)
17 are adopted, ages 10 - 42 years old. Two of the adopted are my bio Granddaughters.
We have 11 children still home.

Joyfully, Eliz~

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2018 :  07:00:07 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Eliz to MJF!! I am delighted to meet you and hear more about all of your interests. Your little rustic summer farm sounds delightful and I bet Summers up there are beautiful too!
Your work with adopted children and adults with disabilities is wonderful. What a rich and exciting career your are having touching so many lives. Not to mention beloved fury friends (and a few without fur) to round out the family!

Enjoy your month up at your farm and keep us posted on what you are up to in the coming weeks.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2018 :  08:58:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Dear Winnie! I read so many fun posts and threads here yesterday. So many wonderful diverse women who love the farm life! Can't wait to know everyone better!

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2018 :  09:17:24 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Eliz from northeast Texas. I enjoyed reading your story. Will be looking for you around the Farm.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2018 :  09:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
Thank You Sara!!! So nice to meet you! We have adopted 5 of our children (now ages 28,27,26,23,17) from TX!! through Abilene Christian Homes and Dallas DCF (I think that's the abreviation?) We've been to Stamford, Dallas, Tyler. We love TX and the people are wonderful!

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2018 :  09:36:44 AM  Show Profile
Eliz when I was a pre-teen I visited Abilene Christian College with a church group. Through the years I have been through Abilene several times. It's a very long way from where I live in Paris which is north of Tyler close to the TX-OK border.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2018 :  09:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
There is a Christian Homes office (or was) in Paris TX, we never went to it but communicated with them for our last TX adoption. I believe Sherie (sp?) was the secretary there then and I loved her! I know exactly where Paris is! I thought Paris was a grand name for a city! :o)

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2018 :  10:15:31 AM  Show Profile

Elizabeth welcome to the farm!!! I hope you find that we are a bunch of very caring ladies with diverse interests but always farm girls at heart!!! Thank you for joining this wonderful group of ladies!!!

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2018 :  10:17:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
Thank You Judy! It's so good to be here!

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2018 :  11:55:35 AM  Show Profile
You have the nerves if steel. Welcome to the farm. I look forward to your post about your family.

I'm from Virginia, I have two children 43 and 39 and two grandchildren. I have a dog, four cats and 26 chickens and two roosters.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2018 :  12:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
Thank You Lenora! Nice to meet you!

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  06:03:39 AM  Show Profile
Greetings from West Virginia. I cannot believe the size of your family. What a wonderful person you are! Can't wait to hear of it all! I feel exhausted just reaading about it. I am so busy here with just a bunch of animals---I can't imagine kids too. Sounds like a great, happy, and wonderful life. You go girl!

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  09:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
Thank You Barbara! I think I have a lot less animals! ;o) than you and 3 of my 11 home now will fly the coop soon! (they are 14,15,16) Of the other 8 at home 6 have Down Syndrome, one has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and one has Sotos (an over-growth) Syndrome. So they'll mature slower :o)

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  12:12:28 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Elizabeth. Enjoy your chatting with all of us.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  1:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
Thank You Marly!

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2018 :  09:07:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Eliz! Welcome to the forum. Loved reading about your farm. Look forward to hearing more about your times there.
What a wonderful thing you are doing, caring for those with disabilities.
Great to have you here. You'll find a wonderful group of women here at MaryJane's. I have been blessed to have come to know so many of them over the years.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2018 :  11:21:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Denise! I am enjoying meeting everyone!

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page

RNchicklet
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Robin
Dagsboro DE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2018 :  3:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Send RNchicklet a Yahoo! Message
Hello! I am new too! We have quite a few things in common. I also work with adults with DD's. My client's are mostly love bugs who drink up all the attention and kindness you can give. When there is time, we like to leaf through magazine's together and Mary Jane's is of course a favorite because it has so many nice pictures. They love looking at pictures and videos of my chickens! You are to be commended on your life's work!

Happy chickens lay the nicest eggs!
Go to Top of Page

Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  6:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
Thank You Robin! Sorry I'm slow to answer! So nice to meet you! I'm jealous you have chickens!!!

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  7:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Eliz, welcome to mjf. I can't imagine having all those but obviously you have the love for all. Love to hear more about you. I've even been to Emily!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2018 :  8:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
Hello! Bonnie!! I grew up in Robbinsdale and St Paul. My Grandma owned a grocery store on the East Side of St Paul! My Mom was from Dinky Town and said we had to live in Mpls when I was 8!
Emily just got new side walk and sewer! LOL! Amazing!
Its so nice to meet you! (((HUG)))

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page

Janice
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Janice
Vancouver WA
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2018 :  07:01:44 AM  Show Profile
I thought I posted a 'HELLO' earlier, so sorry if I am repeting my self. My husband's Grandmother was born and raise in St Cloud, MN. Never be there before would like to see the town where she was born some day. We have visited/seen a few of the states and when we both retire I/we want to travel to see more state. Welcome Eliz.

Janice Weber Ferguson Vintage Artist
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2018 :  1:33:50 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the Farm, Eliz! It's so wonderful to meet you. You have such an amazing heart caring for all the people that you do. I bet your family holidays and get togethers are wonderful! Big families are the best! I came from a small one and my husband has a large one so I do get jealous! Enjoy the rest of your stay at your farm before you need to pack up.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2018 :  07:18:45 AM  Show Profile
Howdy from another COLD state, Wyoming. Welcome to the farm! Prepare to be inspired!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #93
My Blog

www.annapearlshomestead.wordpress.com

The Gourmet Cupboard

http://www.thegourmetcupboard.com/sites/sheronetaylor8622

Avon

www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New here from Minnesota Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page