dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2018 :  5:34:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies, my boys and i had a riveting conversation at dinner tonight regarding my desire to start hiking again. I use to hike all the time before i had them (26 years ago!), and now i would like to do so again. They were horrified at the thought of me hiking alone and i said i use to do so all the time.

Has the world really changed that much in 26 years that i need to be concerned about hiking alone/hiking safety?

What do you gals do to be safe while hiking/camping?
Do you think you should always take a buddy?
Would love to hear your thoughts/experiences!

Dena
Farmgirl 5620

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2018 :  7:28:31 PM  Show Profile
YES I think it has. Sorry to say but I do a lot of traveling by myself and would not do any hiking in a remote area. I took a really nice hike back into the woods in Oregon and I was with my brother and sister in law and when we got back My first thought was I would never have done that alone. But that is me but I wouldn't do it.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2018 :  9:33:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dena,
I would say it depends on where you go. I used to volunteer at a nature reserve near me. I used to do trail patrol and only had a radio for contact. The reserve is a popular place so meeting other hikers happened a lot. I always felt safe. I had to retire from it last Fall. There are other places near me I wouldn't hike in unless I had a big dog with me.

You may have to do a little homework to see what is available near you.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  05:50:20 AM  Show Profile
Dena---I agree---depends on where you go. I watch a lot of the ID channel and hiking on trails would give me the creeps. My advice is to hike and carry a big old gun. I had a guy threaten me over the phone once and I said to him---"If you come down here you're going to be looking down a forty four in West Virginia"---as Mick Jagger says in one of his songs. Ladies---I hike alone here everyday and I have no fear---but that is because I am on my own property. I rarely meet anyone. One day I walked down the holler and a man was coming up and I just turned my back and walked---creepy. I had one man stop and say---please tell me you are carrying a gun---don't walk around here by yourself without one. I don't carry a gun---don't even know how to shoot. But so many places are unsafe---so many hollers in WV are the pits of HELL. My friend could not walk down her road on Saturday night because of wild holler people out raising hell. When we visited her aunt and I wanted to walk they said you can go that way but not that way---wasn't safe. Trails in parks would creep me out---so if you really want to hike carry a big old gun---dress like an old lady or a guy. And get your swagger on and look really mean---like Mick Jagger on a bad day. No one will touch you,

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  07:07:45 AM  Show Profile
We don't want to live in fear but we must take our world as we find it these days. No matter where you live or how safe the area has been there is no way to insure that someone meaning to do harm has not crossed into it. Use our common sense to stay safe.

It's okay not to speak to everyone who passes you when you are out alone. At all times be aware of your surroundings. Walk in the middle of a street or path when possible. Keep away from places where someone may be lurking.

Always have charged cell phone with you. A large dog who is protective of you is a plus - also if you live in a right to carry state and have your permit have your gun with you. I believe in right to carry but I don't because of my eyesight.

I know people listen to music on their headphones but it does keep them from hearing what is around them. It would probably be a good idea to turn them off in areas where you may feel less comfortable being in.

We must not let fear control us and keep us from doing what we want but at the same time we must at all times be alert to what is going on around us.

A self protection class would be a good idea for hiking or jogging alone.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  2:30:59 PM  Show Profile
Dena,, simply said,,,
1. Know Your Surroundings
2. Be prepared
3. Have a safety device+ pepper spray, cell phone,
4. Don't be modest, Kick, scream, bite, don't worry that your petti coat is showing... hurt your assailant before he can hurt you!
and... assailiants aren't just men.. a female can attack, or distract you so her partner can grab you.

Taking a self defense class will be useful and Always,,, Always let someone know when you plan to go hiking, give them the location and time you will return.

Stay safe, enjoy your hikes,, just remember you have love ones who want you to return to them.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Aug 24 2018 2:32:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  5:30:13 PM  Show Profile
I work as a volunteer at the Morton Arboretum, which has 1700 acres of woods. A few years back they did a survey and found 75% of their members are women. There is throughout the arboretum horticulturists, volunteer safety & trail patrol monitors plus the arboretum staff security during the hours they are open. I strongly recommend you hike in a place that has the same type of safety and security setup.

Another thing to remember is this time of year the ground nesting wasps and yellow jackets are really bad. Stay on the path, hopefully it is well mulched, and always look for anything that stings if you have to step off it! We have coyotes here and some people carry airhorns to be on the safe side to scare them away.

Enjoy your hiking, I love walking the forest preserves by my house and at the arboretum. Fortunately they are well used paths and I have always felt safe in them. I hope you can find the same by you.

Dawn in IL

"Nature teaches beasts to know their friends." Shakespeare:
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  9:40:38 PM  Show Profile
Well said everyone. Farmgirls rule! Did you all know or remember our Queen Bee was a forest ranger?

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2018 :  07:54:26 AM  Show Profile
Yes I did:-); That’s why i asked the farmgirls!!!

Thank you everyone for all your helpful comments, ideas and suggestions. They have allowed me to think further about this question and make some serious plans towards fun and safety.

Hugs to all:-)

Dena
Farmgirl 5620
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2018 :  12:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I have done a lot of solo hiking but it's been in years before I got some significant health issues that would prevent me from doing that now. I too, believe it depends on where you are hiking and, of course, that means you might have to do some research, etc. on your intended locations. These farmgirls have all given good advice/suggestions ... I wish you well and lots of fun on your adventures!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2018 :  3:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
actually, the biggest thing to worry about in our mountains is bears!!

Go to Top of Page

dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2018 :  5:20:49 PM  Show Profile
:-) thank goodness that’s less likely here, but still a possibility.

Dena
Farmgirl 5620
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2018 :  8:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We have to be watchful for bears in our yards!!! Watchful for mountain lions! They are out there . .
CJ

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2018 :  9:15:15 PM  Show Profile
CeeJay,, what's that old sayin'...
"I don't have to out run the bear,,, I just have to out run you!"... lololol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Hiking safety Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page