Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Anyone been or lived in Europe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone been or lived in Europe? Next Topic
Page: of 2

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2018 :  1:28:30 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies! Have any of you traveled to or lived in England, Iceland, Norway, or Scotland? We will be leaving for our trip soon and will be visiting these places. Do any of you have any suggestions on what to visit, see, eat, etc. while we are there? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Krista

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2018 :  1:49:30 PM  Show Profile
I've never been, but would love to one day... do travel safe and enjoy and savor every moment!!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2018 :  1:59:52 PM  Show Profile
Greetings Krista from Zermatt, Switzerland where we are finishing the last few days of a tour . It is the home of the Matterhorn peak here in the Alps and such a beautiful place!!! I have visited each of the countries you are going to visit and here is what might be helpful. Rick Steve’s has a wonderful DVD series of most of the key places to visit on your trip. Depending on the actual cities and locations, Rick Steve’s points out the big places to try and visit and how to navigate the process of getting tickets and keeping prices down. Keep in mind that this time of year there are many many visitors so try and get with a small group in order to have someone to help make sure you get a good experience . Are you going with a specific tour group or on your own? If you are not with a tour group, you can often go online and find local tour companies to sign up with for a tour in English. You will be able to ask questions and get more out of where you are going if you get some help.

Have a wonderful trip and let us know all about the adventures you have! There is so much beauty and history in each country. One more thing, make sure you check the weather for everywhere you go so you have the right clothing. Europe has been experiencing record heat this Summer and it has been unseasonably hot. Not sure when you are going but try and get a 10day glimpse before you leave and then pack for variables. Rick Steve’s also has travel books and lots of ideas of how to pack and travel lightly but with htings that are flexible and easy to keep clean or wash out at night.

Have a great time and let us know about all of your adventures!!!! I hope you all enjoy this fantastic experience!,

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Aug 08 2018 2:03:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2018 :  07:34:51 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like the perfect trip Krista!!
Winnie, your vacation sounds like a dream too! I have always wanted to see the Alps.
I have never been to Europe, but next October, hubs and I are traveling to Iceland with Josh and Brent, the Beekman Boys. They do a "Trip of a Lifetime" every year, and open the trip to 20 other people. We were lucky to get 2 spots, and they will be our tour guides so to speak. Gotta get over the plane fear. Checking out WOW Airlines, where you can fly to Iceland direct, no stop at JFK, for $99. Have Reykjavik's weather saved on my phone, and check it regularly.. LOL
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2018 :  10:50:18 AM  Show Profile
Krista,
I stayed in England and Scotland but that was before you were even a thought on your mom's heart and mind.

Its been so long I can't give you any suggestions but seeing Edinburgh Castle would be cool. Oh you should see Madame Tussauds wax museum. I do remember that as awesome.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2018 :  12:16:17 PM  Show Profile
Your trip sounds wonderful Krista. Hope you have a safe journey. I love The Beekman Boys. I used to watch their show and I read a book by one of them. Winnie---you are lucky to get to travel so much. My husband fusses even when he has to go to town. The new car we got is mid-size but still feels huge to me and I hate it. I have hardly driven since my teeny little Honda rusted into. I may never see town again---much less Europe. HA HA>

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2018 :  3:58:55 PM  Show Profile
Buy local brands of tea for souvenirs, local chocolates, and lotions or soaps. Save maps and beer coasters for scrapbooks. Remember English drive on the other side of the road. The British Museum is free to enter.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2018 :  3:59:43 PM  Show Profile
Bring an extra carry on bag for all your goodies!

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2018 :  4:46:46 PM  Show Profile
I visited Norway 30 years ago during a six month adventure through Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Netherlands, Austria and Switzerland. The highlights of my visit to Norway were the national museum in Oslo, taking the train from Oslo to Bergen and making a side trip down the mountain to the village of Flåm where I took a ferry ride from there to Aurdal and back on the fjord. The fish market in Bergen was fun too. I also rode the train up the west coast to Trondheim. I was travelling alone so it was fun to ask the locals what their food and sightseeing suggestions were. Definitely explore the little bakeries, delicatessens, cafes and open air markets for fresh foods. Have an awesome trip!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Aug 09 2018 4:51:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2018 :  5:26:35 PM  Show Profile
Out of the countries you've listed, London, England has been the one I've been to. It is a beautiful country. I recommend you visit the parks, museums and Tower of London. A stroll by Big Ben and Buckingham Palace is a must! The double decker bus tour is great and will give you a sense of direction for the city. Try to take a day trip out to the country for each city you go to. The Tube in London is terrific and it makes getting around very easy. Be sure to take in a show while you are there. Definitely buy the City Card for each country and city you are in. It will save you $ and time getting into different places.

Remember most European restaurants are not smoke free, so if cigarettes bother you, eat a bit early. I had noticed when I'm in Europe that the smokers tend to light up at the end of their meal. There are all kinds of places to enjoy whatever your budget is. The food court in Harrod's is fun and worth visiting. Enjoy trying the local and regional specials and foods. Be adventuresome and try something new to you at the restaurants.

Have fun on your trip. Make sure you tell us about it when you get back!
Dawn in IL

"Nature teaches beasts to know their friends." Shakespeare:
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  3:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for your advice and tips. I am getting super excited for this trip.

April, thank you!

Winnie, I had no idea you were in Switzerland! How exciting! That is one of the places I would love to visit in the future. We are actually taking a cruise to visit all of these places. We will be arriving in London a couple days early to explore before we board the ship. I will look for that book and DVD. I could use any help with packing right now. It's stressing me out! Thank you for letting me know about the weather. It will be interesting to see if it's still that hot when we go. We will be leaving August 30 and returning September 18.

Lisa, one of the ports we will be stopping at is Reykjavík. We plan to do the Golden Cirlce and the Viking museum while we are there. We will also be visiting Akureyri. While we are there we plan to visit Santa's house. I'm super excited for that because I'm a big fan of Christmas and would love to see Christmas from all over the world. Do you know what you'll be doing when you are there? I'm excited you get to go next year. I also have a fear of flying in planes. And the length of this flight isn't helping. Thank goodness our flight is during the night so I will spend most of the flight sleeping.

Nancy, Edinburgh Castle is on our list of things to do, but I haven't heard of the wax museum. It sounds really cool. I'm writing it down so we can look into it. Thank you. We will also be visiting the Holyroodhouse Palace.

Barbara, thank you. You are so silly! You will be visiting the city again!

Vanessa, thank you for all those tips. I hadn't thought of any of them yet. I definitely want to make sure I try everyone's chocolate! I do know that they drive on the other side of the road, but when we looked into renting a car you have to be 30 or older to drive and both me and my husband are not old enough. So no stress for me! Luckily his parents are going with us. I just may need a whole other suitcase to bring everything back!!

Marilyn, one of our ports does go to Bergen. While we are there we plan on visiting the Hardanger Fjord. Is this the same one you are talking about? I am also super excited to check out all the bakeries and fresh food markets.

Dawn, we have already purchased tickets for a double-decker bus tour, so I'm glad you suggested it. My husband is super excited to see Big Ben. I believe we were planning on taking a trip out of the city to see some relatives. My husband's mother is planning that. We also have tickets to see wicked. I have been dying for years to see it and now I get to see it in London!! Thank you for the information on the smoking I wasn't aware of that. I will be sure to let my husband and in-laws know. I do want to try some new food while I'm there. Was there something new you tried while you were there?

Krista

Edited by - MaryJanesNiece on Aug 10 2018 3:26:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  8:33:14 PM  Show Profile
Krista, the fjord I visited was Aurlandfjorden which is a bit farther Northeast of Bergen. But Hardangerfjorden is also beautiful. Have a wonderful trip!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Aug 10 2018 8:37:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2018 :  5:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Krista,
We've made three different trips to Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland. Love them all! We love "castle hopping" and visited as many as we could, along with some manor houses. Because there is SO MUCH information about these places and it'll be hard to remember it all and for very long, we bought the "tour guide" information booklets that are available at each place. They aren't very expensive and you can read them in the future to help remember your trip. I also wrote the date we visited inside the front cover.
I recommend keeping a travel journal too. I just used a spiral notebook where I wrote dates and short notes of what we did, where we went, etc. It'll be hard to remember everything when you get back and in years ahead. I'm glad I did it! You can keep little mementos to add to your journal later too. Take lots of pictures!! Write down the location of them and the date. And the extra bag for goodies . . YES! Our 2nd trip we had to go buy an extra bag just to bring all our "loot" home!

There are SOOOOOOOO MANY places I'd recommend but it's too many. Pub grub is the best food to eat and don't be afraid of trying the local cuisine. That's part of the fun of travel. I recommend to NOT wear clothes that have "American" logos, etc. on them. We tried really hard to be polite, gracious, appreciate the country/culture we were in and NOT wear our Americanism. Once you open your mouth to speak they'll know you're an American. We didn't want to leave a bad taste. We saw some VERY RUDE Americans in our travels there and were VERY EMBARRASSED!!!

I'm jealous! Have a great trip!

CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2018 :  12:52:22 PM  Show Profile
CJ, thank you for the insight on American clothes. I hadn't thought of that, but I agree with you. I think it's best not to draw that kind of attention to ourselves. It breaks my heart to hear that others were very rude. I would have been embarrassed myself.

I like the idea of keeping a journal of the places we visit. Especially since we are visiting so many places so quickly, I really don't want to forget about them. I will also look for the tour guide at add to my notebook. They should hopefully also include pictures. We have also already picked out the back pack we will be taking for our extra goodies. I can't believe how fast this is coming up!

Marilyn, good to know! Thank you!!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  6:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Krista, The guide booklets do have pictures and we really enjoy "revisiting" these places. On our 2nd trip in 1998 we were gone for over a bit of a month and that was before digital cameras were the thing. I took over ONE HUNDRED rolls of pictures on my 35 mm Olympus. . . what a treasure!!!
Of course the processing cost was nothing to sneeze about but I knew it would be that way so I prepared myself.
Now, one can use a digital camera!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2018 :  1:09:57 PM  Show Profile
CJ, we are planning on taking our digital camera which does make things much simpler and easier, but I bet you really enjoy physically looking through your photos rather than scanning through them on the computer. I will definitely be grabbing me some of those guide books. I want to be able to revisit them as well.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2018 :  10:32:36 PM  Show Profile
Krista,, how wonderful... when do you leave? For sure, post pics for us and do have a wonderful journey.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  1:27:19 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I leave on August 30. So less than a week away! I'm going crazy! My nerves have me all tense. Making sure everything is packed for everyone and that all the things on our to do list are complete before we go and most of all the fact that I'm going to be away from my babies for 3 weeks. That's the hardest for me to process.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  2:08:23 PM  Show Profile
Krista,, do not worry or stress,, remember, if you forgot something (other than ID & passport).. you can buy replacement.
I never pack toiletries, shampoo, toothpaste, soap etc.. it's just easier to buy it there. I have even had to buy clothes because I forgot to pack enough under mentionables.. fortunately I stay with family or my life long childhood BFF, and between all us girls,, I am able to borrow clothing.
I don't know about the area you will be visiting, but in Germany, most markets charge you for bags,, so I always carry foldable totes in my purse.
Have fun, enjoy and bring us lots of photos.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  2:43:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Krista,
My Mom took a cruise in Europe a few years back. So you will do fine if you follow their scheduled tours. Take one of the money belts that goes under your pants around your waste. Buy the currency ahead of time for each country. Euros and such. You can check with the cruise line for that. My Mom went to her local bank and bought what she needed. She spent it up on the trip so she did not loose on the conversion once home.
Have your insurance policies up-to-date too. I prayed the whole time Mom was gone and we both cried when she returned safe and sound.
Keep everyone close to you. Stick close to your hubby too. Hold hands etc.. It is a bit of a culture shock leaving the USA. It was for me any way. lol
Have fun!

@Grace, my husband's niece took her daughter's passport by accident when she went to Germany a few years ago. She had to go the the American embassy to straighten it out.

Farmgirl sister #308
Wallets & Travel Accessories, Tea Wallets, and Hankie Envelopes
http://www.marketsofsunshine.online

Card Making Circle of Friends
www.marshajaramillo.stampinup.net
Tea Lover's
www.tealightfultea.net/sweetretreats
FGOM 5/2018

Edited by - marjean on Aug 24 2018 2:46:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  12:46:57 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I am learning so much about these other countries leading up to the day we leave. I haven't heard about the markets and the bags, but we do have a plan on carrying a backpack with us everywhere we go to help store what we get. Our IDs and Passports are at the top of the list! I have all my stuff picked out and set aside. It's just getting it into the suitcase now.

Marsha, all of our tours are booked through the cruise so I know we will be good! We were talking with my father in law about getting the currency ahead of time. He has done that quite a few times and told us the same thing. I am positive it's going to be a culture shock for me. I don't even like the atmosphere of an airport and always feel like I'm going to get lost, so my poor husband is going to have me attached to him for 3 weeks straight! Lol.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  4:25:20 PM  Show Profile
Alright Farmgirls! Tomorrow is the day! We will be heading over to Europe. After much craziness and stress I think I'm finally packed and ready to go. I did cry last night as I was feeding my baby girl. I am going to miss her terribly while I am gone. I know this will be a good break and vacation for me, but it's still going to be hard to be away. I will share many pictures when I return!!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  7:22:04 PM  Show Profile
Krista,, have a wonderful journey make fabulous memories.
hugz and see you when you get home.
Wrapping you in prayers for a safe trip.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2018 :  1:24:16 PM  Show Profile
Krista---what did you do and see on your trip? And was it totally fun or did you miss your children terribly? I know I would just worry about my animals and miss them so much. Please let us know how it went. I don't think I missed a post if you put one on about your trip. Hope you will post about it soon. I thought of you traveling and how fun it must be to not be stuck in the holler with goats, donkeys, chickens. cats and a pack of dogs. LOL.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2018 :  12:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Barbara, you haven't missed it! I have just forgotten to update! The trip was absolutely amazing and surprisingly I did great with the kids. I missed them but it was actually nice to have a break. I am a stay at home mom and hadn't had a day away for almost 3 years so it was wonderful! Plus it helped that I knew they were in good hands. We went and seen so many things. We traveled all over London seeing all the typical sites such as Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, and Tower of London. We also visited the Warner Bros. Harry Potter Studio (my absolute favorite) and went to the play Wiked! In Iceland we did the Golden Circle, visited a Viking museum, and the Godafass Waterfall. Iceland was not my favorite place. It was very cold and rainy so that didn't help. In Norway we seen the Hardanger Fjord and visited some extended family that live there. They served us their traditional lamb stew for dinner, apple cake and lefse. It was very good! We also walked their farm and learned how they farm over there. In Scotland we visited the Highland Castles and drove around Lochness. Then we toured Edinburgh Castle and walked the Royal Mile. That's everything in a nut shell. 3 weeks of travel and exploring is a lot! Definitely the best trip of my life. My favorite place was Inverness Scotland! I want to take another trip back and stay there. I need to get planning it soon!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2018 :  1:53:10 PM  Show Profile
Krista,, is Inverness the town where a lot of Scottish wool is produced and knitted into sweaters?

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone been or lived in Europe? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page