ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2018 :  05:24:27 AM  Show Profile
A bit after the fact, but a huge "Thank you" to my wonderful farmgirl cousin Michele for the MaryJane Cast Iron Cookbook. Every recipe in it has been a huge hit with my family. Last night's raspberry/rhubarb pandowdy was a delicious! I even bought a Lodge cast iron frying pan to make it in.

Also love, love, love the beautiful reversible apron with the darling porcelain cow buttons on the pocket. The animal selfies on the pattern really crack me up. The beautiful plaid side is stunning and the attention to detail in the making of this beautiful apron proves homemade really is the best.

Happy cooking & baking to everyone! Again, thank you Michele for all the wonderful things you do! You are the best farmgirl ever!

Dawn in IL

"Nature teaches beasts to know their friends." Shakespeare:

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2018 :  06:48:13 AM  Show Profile
Lol your welcome

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2018 :  07:21:44 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, enjoy your new MJ Cookbook! I have been using mine a lot and everything is delicious and easy to make. Welcome to the devoted followers of using cast iron cookware too. Once you start using it, everything else seems inferior for most jobs. Cast iron cookware, with an apron tied on, makes me instantly feel like a true, blue Farmgirl too!! I love your photo that you shared. It is always a pleasure to tie a picture of someone to all of the posts that I have read from her!

Michele, you are such a sweet cousin to surprise Dawn with this wonderful book and apron. I bet there will be wafts of cinnamon and delicious dishes coming through the skies from Illinois to Wisconsin too! Stay tuned because good smells are about to shower your porch sitting with yumminess! I wish I could buy every Farmgirl this Cast Iron Cookbook and a skillet if she needed one. I need to win the lottery!! LOL!!

Dawn, there are several apple recipes in this cookbook that I plan to do for our upcoming Farmgirl Apple Festival at MJF during the month of September. Check them out and see what you think looks possible. I think apples grow up your way and I bet you could get some great dishes with local varieties that none of us have access too. Let us know if you pursue any of these recipes in September.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2018 :  08:11:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Winnie, I will definitely let you know as I continue to bake/cook with this book. I am waiting until autumn for the apple recipes to get the freshest possible local ones. I am already thinking of buying the cast iron mini-cake pan next to add to my new skillet (collection in the making?).

Wish I was closer to Michele to get her milk, cream, and eggs from her farm! She is an amazing baker and cook, using everything edible that will grow on her farm. Her beef is delicious since her cattle are out roaming the beautiful Blue Hills and are very well cared for. Her cheese is delicious too from her milk cow. Yes, Michele is a true lifetime farmer and artisan. I feel very blessed that she is my best friend and first cousin to boot!

Keep sharing your Cast Iron Cookbook stories!
Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2018 :  03:19:05 AM  Show Profile
I love to cook in cast iron---but when I was a child I was ashamed of my family's cast iron cookware when my friends visited. They all had nice new pots and pans. I saved all the old cookware and my husband and I now cook in it at our cabin. I am no longer ashamed of my "poor people" cookware.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2018 :  06:14:07 AM  Show Profile
I find food cooks better and more evenly in cast iron. The recipes have been a tremendous success from MaryJane's cookbook. I've made half of the recipes in the book so far. I'm looking forward to the autumn produce to make the fall/winter recipes in a few months. Last night's skillet lasagna was easy and delicious! My kind of recipe.

Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2018 :  07:08:38 AM  Show Profile
Wow Dawn you have been busy!!!
I love my cast iron too, especially once it gets well seasoned, it is so easy and non-stick.
I roasted a chicken in mine last night. Best roast chicken ever.
By the way, you are just beautiful!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Thank you Windy Pines! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page