Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 heating with wood
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic heating with wood Next Topic  

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2018 :  06:34:06 AM  Show Profile
Who uses wood to heat their house? We cut all of our own firewood on our property and have a wood furnace in the basement--so our heat is free except for the work. We also have a propane furnace for back up. What kind of wood stove do you have and how do you get your wood. And describe how dirty and messy it is to heat with wood---LOL.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2018 :  2:11:17 PM  Show Profile
we heat our house with wood. best heat there is. we cut wood on our land, and have a wood stove in the basement. I am a chainsaw running farm girl. I love to split with a maul too, as long as it is not elm. I have a stihl chain saw. I love cutting, splitting and stacking wood. We have a wood room that we fill, and then stack 6 rows outside to throw down as needed. so for us it is not dirty and messy. we clean up and rake up any bark as we go.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2018 :  10:58:04 PM  Show Profile
I am scared to run a chainsaw so I admire you for that. All I do is pick it up and load and unload and then of course feed the furnace all day. It is messy because we carry it in through the basement and the smoke dirties what we store down there. But still good and warm and free.

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  08:51:29 AM  Show Profile
We heat with wood and have gas forced air as a back up for when we are gone and such. I do not mind the wood heat at all. It stays nice and warm and like you said it is free. Right now we get wood from a tree cutting guy that drops it off at our house after they cut a tree down and the people do not want it. Wonderful!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  10:16:33 AM  Show Profile
We heat with a wood furnace and a wood stove in the family room for power outages.
We don't get all of our wood for free though.
~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 04 2018 10:25:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2018 :  02:49:10 AM  Show Profile
We are gearing up for wood gathering season and are excited about it. My husband is taking two vacations---Sep.and Oct.---so that we can get it in. Plus we will work evenings when he comes in. Lots of work but fun to be out in the woods in the fall. He is busy putting in a new wood furnace---a beautiful red one...will be cheerful to see and use. Wood heat sure is warm. I usually wear a tank top in the house all winter. It's so easy to get the house too hot. We have to use wood heat here even though we have a propane furnace also. The propane company can't deliver to us down this hill if there is snow on the road.

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2018 :  4:57:04 PM  Show Profile
We heat with wood and I love it. It is so nice and warm in the house. The best is in the winter after feeding bales, -20 and come in and warm up almost instantly!! I do have to admit by March though a little tired of the clean up but the price is great and the warmth.

Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Edited by - Old Spirit on Nov 10 2018 4:57:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2018 :  03:12:53 AM  Show Profile
got our fire going last night. Chimney is cleaned and new fire brick in the stove. Ahhh it feels so good.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2018 :  05:27:54 AM  Show Profile

Our wood furnace has been on for about a week---my husband installed a new one this summer and I am still getting used to it---how much wood to pu in and how much to open the draft. Somedays I get the house too hot and somedays I can't get it warm. Practice will make perfect though. We just got our last load of wood in. It has rained so much that almost all of it was wet. Our most miserable year of getting wood in ever. Now to relax and enjoy the free heat. Welcome Winter!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2018 :  03:13:15 AM  Show Profile
lol free heat!! I like to think that too, but oh the labor involved. haha enjoy i know i am.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2018 :  07:44:14 AM  Show Profile
We've been running our wood furnace for a couple of weeks now. We have a thermometer hooked up inside the house so we can see the temperature of the water. JT had to weld a leak this year but got it fixed and it is toasty. Saturday was the first day we ran both the furnace and the stove in the family room.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2018 :  10:27:46 AM  Show Profile
I would love the heat with wood, for that matter I would love to live somewhere with seasons. Here in Southern California we have two seasons, cool and hot.

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2018 :  2:58:52 PM  Show Profile
We are still using AC down here where I live in Florida!! I would LOVE to have a wood stove. We have a fireplace that we use whenever we get lucky with a cold spell. Barbara, I hope this new wood stove proves to be a better option than the old one. I guess this heating season will tell the facts.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2018 :  6:26:38 PM  Show Profile
We heat with wood also. Our wood burning furnace is outside. It heats the house as well as the workshop. We have a tree business and the people usually want all of the wood removed so we have access to a lot of wood. We also have 12 acres of wood and use the trees that have fallen or are dead. I am learning to use a chainsaw to cut some of the smaller logs as my husband is not allowed to do any of the work until they can get his heart taken care of. We have a gas splitter so that helps a lot, too. We do have a furnace as a backup but never use it. I love the fact that it is free heat. With the furnace being outside we don't get the mess like if it was in a basement.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic heating with wood Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page