HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2018 :  10:41:40 PM  Show Profile
I have been asked by my neighbor to help feed an orphan fawn. I know this is illegal but I am not doing it. It is four weeks old and my friends only took it because the people raising it could not care for it anymore. Has anyone raised a fawn and do you have any tips to care for it? I only fed it today---the first fawn I have ever touched. What to do and what to tell my friends to do. They ask me as I am so good with animals and I honestly don't know. HELP>

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6802 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6802 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  01:15:06 AM  Show Profile
My only thought on this subject is if you or your friend aren't prepared to keep a mature deer then take the fawn to a wild life animal shelter. If it's hand fed and bought up by you or your friend it will not be able to survive in the wild. Any baby animal is sweet and cuddly but a full grown animal is something else.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4102 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  04:21:34 AM  Show Profile
you should google what to feed etc. there is lots of help on there.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  04:43:09 AM  Show Profile
How did they know it was orphaned? Mama deer will leave their babies and go off and feed and then come back later. Unless they found her with a dead mama nearby, she may not have been orphaned.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  06:07:51 AM  Show Profile
She is a real orphan---her mama was hit by a car in front of their house. I understand your concern about that. I am glad I am omly helping feed it once a day. I feel so sorry for it.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  12:40:16 PM  Show Profile
Just back from feeding the fawn. It was sitting on the sofa with their pug dog when I went in. So cute! I agree that it will be hard to get it to return to the wild. They seem to think that it will just leave and head into the woods---but I think it will be hard to release it---they do live by the woods. Glad it will be their problem.

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  4:35:58 PM  Show Profile
Barbara, All things said I am glad they took it in. This much I do know on feeding orphan fawns, feed only goats milk, every 3 to 4 hours, as she gets older she will let you know when to space feedings father apart and when to introduce grain and such, it is also most important if only one person feeds it again to keep from it getting socialized. Keep in safe warm place like a stall is best, not in house. Returning to wild will only be more difficult living in house beside humans because if she gets to socialized she won't want to go back to the wild. When old enough to eat on own pen up outside with shelter, if she isn't to socialized, when she is ready she will leave on her own. Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2018 :  12:50:27 PM  Show Profile
I am afraid she has gotten used to humans. A couple fed it awhile and then my neighbors took it and they have a 13 year old son who has petted it too. Then my husband and I are feeding it once a day. I am afraid she is already ruined. I hope she will leave on her own, but she is so tiny---would be a long time until she is big enough. They have a nice barn but they never got doors on it or they could keep her in there. Thanks for the tips. I will tell them. I'm glad it is them and not me---I have raised three baby goats on bottles and I like to never got them to stay with the other goats---They followed me everywhere until I could hardly stand it.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2018 :  8:11:44 PM  Show Profile
Here is my 2cents worth,,, I agree with Sara,, the Fawn will not learn 'coping skills of living in the wild,, .nor will it learn a healthy faer of humans...
At this point, someone will need to step up and keep it (like a pet goat)... or, contact a wild animals rescue/refuge and let them train it to live in the wild..
As much as our hearts want to care for these sweet creatures,, it isn't always in the best interest of the animal..
All that being said,, we had a mama deer give birth the other day,to a baby out by our barn.. mama and baby have been hanging out between us and the 2 ranchettes on both sides of us as we all have 14+ acres of hay and pasture grass.... so mama can care for her baby.. It is a joy to watch them out in the fields,, but we are keenly aware that there are coyotes around us as well as moose,, so, we keep our distance. But if I knew of a situation, like the baby deer, you mentioned, I'd rescue it and contact the Animal rescue/refuge.. as I know they are better equipped to care for the fawn.
OK,, my 2cents... spent! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2018 :  11:15:45 AM  Show Profile
Grace---my husband told them they should turn it over to the DNR and let them handle it. I think they will sooner or later because they have a nice house and I'm sure they don't want a deer in it very long. They seem to think the DNR would just take it and kill it---I'm not sure. Anyway they are the source of my donkey and goats and a rabbit that they no longer wanted---also three cats who worked their way down here---but I am not going to end up with that deer. Yes---they are beautiful in the wild---but such pests and are always in our yard eating something.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2018 :  1:29:49 PM  Show Profile
Barbara,, isn't it amazing how some people collect & get rid of critters once the critter becomes dependent on them, or is no longer a cute puppy/kitty.. or barks or phoos on the lawn or wants to play with the owner after being left along all day...
We too have ended up with critters, like you have,, because of dumb uncaring people.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2018 :  4:06:17 PM  Show Profile
The fawn had to go to the vet---she was constipated, but she seems to be OK. I hope she makes it. So sweet and bumps your face when you feed it and licks you. So wish her mom hadn't been killed. Life can be sad and it do get tedious. But it's a beautiful ride anyway.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2018 :  10:38:51 AM  Show Profile
Just back from my daily fawn feeding. She looked well and drank her usual two bottles. I think she will be OK>

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2018 :  01:06:02 AM  Show Profile
I am not having to feed the fawn for a week as they are on vacation. She is doing good. She gets off their deck and goes in the woods and then comes when she wants to eat. I just saw her setting down in the woods because I left my sunglasses up there and went back to get them. The vet was kind and he saw the fawn through the back door and illegally---maybe we are a bunch of yahoos in West Virginia but we have good hearts. LOL

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2018 :  03:07:52 AM  Show Profile
The fawn is growing and doing great. She is foraging now in their lawn and even got in their garden and ate a few things. She sits in the woods down from their house and comes when she wants fed. But she also sits on the deck and snuggles by their cats. Such a sweet girl. She may make it after all.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  2:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Just got back from visiting the fawn and then her human daddy called and asked me to feed her this weekend. She licked my face and her breath smelled like tomato plants---so she is definitely getting off the deck and eating by herself. I feel blessed to have gotten to be kissed by a fawn---she also sucks on ears. Poor baby---I hope she can become a big deer.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  05:49:16 AM  Show Profile
I am proud to announce that the fawn is still alive and kicking! I had not been asked to feed her in about a month. I fed her Sat. And Sun. She is still tame and sweet but learning to be wild also. She comes out to be fed at eight in the morning and at five in the evening---won't answer or come to you except around those times. After she eats she just takes back off to the woods. She gets milk and apple, corn and cut up acorns. I feel blessed to have know this sweet gentle creature. I never thought I'd get to kiss and hug a fawn---much less have one lick my face and love me. What a joy she has brought to the summer.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  07:01:36 AM  Show Profile
I didn't find this thread until now but I love how it has been unfolding all Summer!! What a privilege to foster her growth and hopefully be able to fend for herself as an adult. Barbara, it is extraordinary that she has thrived and showed her human caretakers her gratitude. This is a Farmgirl story if I ever read one!! Keep us posted oh what continues to unfold.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  5:22:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh Barb,,, so happy to hear that your fawn is doing well.. what a wonderful soul you are to care for her...

fyi... when I was living in the mountains back in Calif., I had lots of Bird feeders hanging... and the deer would come by in the early mornings and lick out all the seeds....
Now, here I am, out in wheat farm land,, and yesterday I spotted fresh hoof prints by my driveway,,, yep, right next to the now empty bird feeders!
So I guess that means both mountain and plains deer(white tail & mule)... like bird seed! lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  5:31:10 PM  Show Profile
some of our lil mountain deer visitors..

this last photo,, is a mama deer, relaxing.. we were leaving out apples and left over veggies for her.. she had twins...

Now to try and get photos of the deer up here..

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  02:56:07 AM  Show Profile
Great deer pictures. They are beautiful creatures but they eat all my flowers so I only have them on the patio here. I love them and yet I hate them. I have never heard of mule deer---I will look them up and read about them. We feed pumpkins to the deer each fall up at the cabin and they are such fun to watch in the morning. A man wanted to shoot them from the porch and I said NO WAY! What a cowardly thing to do. I so dread hunting season and all the shooting around me.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2018 :  09:14:53 AM  Show Profile
We raised an abandoned fawn and actually were working on integrating it with more mature deer here. In the process one of our substitute mailmen reported it and the wildlife management took it to a farm in PA because it is illegal. They said we should have left it alone but we knew that meant it dying from no nourishment or some prey getting it. So, even though we made a bad choice I would do it again to save it's life.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic orphan fawn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page