Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Tornadoes, macro bursts, trees...oh my!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Tornadoes, macro bursts, trees...oh my! Next Topic  

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  04:45:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls!

I am back. I have been absent lately because of so much going on...my dad has been in the hospital a month, another relative has been in the hospital, my dog was sick and needing extra care, and then I’ve been having to make up classes I teach from so many snow days all the way into April...

Just as things were calming down, last week the unthinkable happened in our area. Connecticut was hit with wicked, crazy weather. Tornadoes and macro bursts hit all over the region we are in. New England just doesn’t get weather like that. It wasn’t normal for us.

It happened so fast. My husband thankfully was home that day. We had gone out to pick something up for my daughter’s upcoming birthday. The plan was to do our Costco run and grocery shopping that afternoon. We picked up my daughter from school and then had ice cream as the day was beautiful.

We were home just in the nick of time. We got the alert on our phone, got to the basement and in minutes it hit.

Our home was hit by a huge tree. The root was ten feet tall! It sounded like an explosion. Two other large trees crossed our driveway.

We are lucky to be alive. All damage to our property can be fixed, it is an irritation in the big scheme of things, but it has left our town shell shocked. So much damage everywhere.

We were without power a week, my generator conked out in the middle of it., and my little dog got another bout of pancreatitis to boot. The adjuster has been out and the tree guys started the stuff too big for my husband to do. We’ve been picking up thousands of sticks and now I have poison ivy to boot! Calgon take me away!!

I finally got internet back this week. I made it to Costco yesterday and was shocked at the devastation to the neighboring town, Brookfield.

Looking forward to a relaxing weekend...we need it! Thanking God we are okay.

Missed you all. Can’t wait to see what all the farmgirls are up to. And on a positive note, Gidget the Glamper is unharmed. A huge tree narrowly missed her by mere feet!

You just never know what can happen. Life turns on a dime. Be happy...

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  05:16:11 AM  Show Profile
Nicole I am so sorry. I know the fear of tornadoes and high winds. So happy you and your family are safe.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  05:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Sara! I am afraid of them too. I know not to mess with them, having been raised in Texas. Rising water scares me too, but thankfully that wasn’t an issue here.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  05:22:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh my Nicole that's crazy!! I am so happy you guys are safe!! ( and JUST IN THE NICK OF TIME TOO) I have friends in Pa and they too were dodging the storms. I was watching your weather that day saying prayers for everyone in the region! Happy things have settled down AND YOU ALL ARE SAFE!!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  05:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Nicole - I am so sorry to hear of all your bad weather and family hospitalization issues. And so glad that you got home in time to be safe in the basement. I take the threat of tornadoes seriously here in Texas.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  05:32:12 AM  Show Profile
I know, right? My husband being from Denmark did not realize that when the alert says “TORNADO WARNING IN YOUR AREA SEEK SHELTER” it is not to be ignored. Heard those three words every woman loves to hear: “You were right”. He thought it was fine to stay on the couch. We got all of us and pets to the basement in time. Glad we have basements here. Talking to a cop I know in town yesterday and she said she was shocked there was not more loss of life. Several people including an eleven year old sadly lost their lives.

The same time that thing hit here the volcano erupted in Hawaii. Wondering if they were related. In 1871 a volocano on the other side of the world affected CT weather. Funny how we are all connected.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  05:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
My husband knows to take tornado warnings seriously, but I understand about loving to hear "You were right." from our husbands. Sometimes it almost seems a game when we disagree on something and one of us has to be right. Not keeping score, but it IS a game.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  07:06:42 AM  Show Profile
This sounds so horrible that I cannot even imagine! I am just so glad you all kept safe. But it is still so hard to have your property messed up and all that clean up---plus all your other problems. Just hang in there and it will all work out with time. My ninety year old friend once told me that life is hard to get through, but we have to take what comes. So true---God bless you and your family---stay strong! I will be thinking of you and praying for you.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Tornadoes, macro bursts, trees...oh my! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page