Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 preserving eggs in water glass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic preserving eggs in water glass Next Topic  

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 21 2018 :  12:49:03 PM  Show Profile
How many of you still use the old fashioned method of preserving eggs in sodium silicate or water glass? It's also know as cement floor sealer and is available from Lehman Brothers. You put the water glass mixture in a crock and just drop the eggs in and keep the crock in a cool place---like a cellar. You have to put them in on the first day they are laid and you can not wash them---they have to be clean. They will keep about nine months this way---we just cooked the last of ours in April. Works great!

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - May 21 2018 :  12:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Interesting. I don't have chickens but I find all preserving methods interesting.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - May 24 2018 :  5:18:03 PM  Show Profile
Barbara I am so glad my mom did not know that. LOL. Growing up every spring we always got 2-3 hundred chicks, come 4th of July we started butchering, well we never seemed to get the numbers down before they started laying. Well we had eggs for breakfast, lunch, supper and snack. Mom learned how to freeze eggs, that was bad enough. I do not eat many eggs these days. I find it fascinating the method you use. I wrote it down to keep and refer to it. Thanks for sharing. Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  07:20:44 AM  Show Profile
Karla---that is funny and so true. But if she had known this she could have fed you less and put them away for winter. My family were farmers and they did not know this---I read about it in a book by Carla Emery years ago---but I never could figure out what water glass was until I got a Lehman's catalog and it is sold with their chicken supplies. Mystery solved. My grandfather kept chickens but I would cry when they planned to eat one. Imagine being told you are eating a store bought hen and then you go to the chicken lot and your favorite pet chicken is missing. Well---I sure learned not to eat chicken before I checked the lot after that---LOL.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2022 :  12:58:39 PM  Show Profile
This is something I am reading that a lot are doing now. But they use a lime solution. Its something on my list to try.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2134 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2134 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2022 :  6:33:02 PM  Show Profile
I read about the water glass method in an old book many years ago but could never find it for sale anywhere (long before the internet and Amazon). My son has a great surplus of eggs and I am going to try dehydrating some. I hope it works -- I would like to have some powdered eggs handy for putting in my homemade mixes for camping and gifting.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic preserving eggs in water glass Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page