Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2018 :  4:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Sara, these stories of your older friends are beautiful and a testimony that life can have it's challenges, but people try to make the best of their situations. It is amazing what power a positive attitude can have on helping someone to live every day with gratitude and a bit of humor. Thank-you for sharing these stories with all of us here!!

Well said Grace! It is hard to live with ourselves sometimes!! LOL!!!

Eliz, I totally agree that being older does give one some extra wisdom. That wisdom sure can come in handy!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  05:21:43 AM  Show Profile
Eliz you are so right - a little wisdom with growing older is a very good thing.

Winnie I'm so glad you found the older women who crossed my path inspiring. They helped to prepare me as I aged. Now they are all gone and women my age and older are left to carry the torch so younger women have a lighted path to follow. My goodness how I ramble on sometimes.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  05:37:56 AM  Show Profile
Sara---so sorry about your water. I can't stand to be without water for one day. Our water messed up here once so we bought drinking water and went to the cabin and got bathing water from the creek---the outhouse came in handy. Ladies---I like being older because I finally have a little wisdom. But I need my young body to do all this work. Life here isn't going to be good if we can't do physical work and we don't want to ever leave. There are stairs and more stairs here to climb each day---people warned me about that when we built this house, but I wouldn't listen because I had so much energy twenty years ago. I too have known several inspiring older people. Even as a teen I liked to hang around with older people. I still dye my hair red---a reddish brown. Love red hair. Rock on Girls!

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  07:09:06 AM  Show Profile
Barbara , I like your spunky wrap-up...Rock on Girls!!! LOL!!!!!! The torch has been handed to us so let's lead the way with aprons flying behind us as we "take the hill"!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  09:03:04 AM  Show Profile
I have spent some time catching up on this thread from page 3 this morning and I have to say you all inspire me. I am not in your age bracket yet but I'm getting there. (56) I have days where I wonder what I am supposed to be doing. My parents are both gone now as is my only sister. I still have 2 older brothers but it is not the same as talking with my mom or sister. I am the grandma now. Except for my mother in law JT and I are the oldest of the "kids" on his side. I often wonder why I can't seem to get a handle on things. Motivation or lack thereof. I am home alone most of the time. You would think that would give me plenty of time to do what I want but I can't seem to get moving when no one is around. It may be the weather. So, all that to say you ladies are inspiring me to get up and get going and DO things. thank you all for that.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  11:32:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Denise!! I think you are an inspiration to so many Farmgirls!! You are always there to lend support, prayers, laughter and goodwill!! One of the things I think Sara was sharing is that our quality of life is not based on how much we do, but rather what we do in service to our family and friends. My own days sometimes seem to pass by and I think I haven't done much of value. But in the big scheme of things, SO WHAT! LOL!! I have to always remember that what is most important is probably not on my To-Do List. Maybe the same is true for you too?

Barbara's tagline on her signature from Bette Davis always makes me smile. Bette was right in that old age can feel like a hill to tough to climb on some days. Especially if you are facing some ongoing health challenges. But when we just take the reins of our days, we usually end up feeling positive. It may be that we took time to observe some bees on our flowers, birds at our feeders, a card sent to family or friend, or dug into a good book. When I frame these activities into my perception of aging, I realize how lucky I am and how beautiful it is to be where I am in life.

Maybe, some of the wisdom of aging is realizing and acting on things we long pushed aside for those nagging chores, only to realize how much we had been missing in our quest to get stuff done. I am just now coming around to taking a deeper look at what makes me feel like I spent my time well each day. Farmgirls....it's lookin' like that chore list is losing in it's power big time!! LOL!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  3:59:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Winnie! You always have encouraging words for me. For that I am ever grateful!

I so enjoy reading the tag lines the gals have on their posts. Some seem so unique to me.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 04 2018 4:00:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  05:34:12 AM  Show Profile
My water leak was fixed yesterday morning so my sisters can relax and not bring me water everyday. Sisters and friends see us through the dark valleys in our lives.

Denise I learned a lot from you the loving way you looked after your father and now you are the matriarch of your family.

Barbara yes a young body would come in handy. Love that you still dye your hair red. I went natural over ten years ago. Like CeeJay said on MJF "she's an artic blond"

Winnie, I do my best to only put what has to be done that day in my Day Planner. If I put down too many To Dos it overwhelms me. Some days I just write Piddle. Oh yes, to add something I want to do is always a good thing. That way I always have time to sit on the porch with Annie or this time of year watch as the shadows creep across my yard getting longer and longer - looking forward to the days of long shadows.

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  06:20:53 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, I'm also 56 and an early retiree. Some days I feel old & creaky, some days I feel young. I like to make lists of tasks, and feel a thrum of satisfaction when I cross one off.

While listening to the radio, they ran the Emergency Broadcast warble. I remember as a kid the noise would scare me, because the tv would have a tornado picture on the screen. Living in the Midwest, that was always a scary thought. But nowadays they don't warbler it as long as they did before. Or I'm not as scared...

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.

NPR Reader's Almanac
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  06:33:57 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa every Friday morning at 10a.m. the city tests their alarm 'tornado' sirens. Sometimes I forget it's just a test and for a moment I am afraid it's a tornado. The siren is also used if there's a fire. There's something about sirens that trigger our primal memories of danger - fire - and to be on guard. Even though they are a good thing sirens are something I do not like to hear.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  06:46:49 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I love that you use the word piddle!! I used to hear that as a child but had forgotten completely about the word until I read you using it. For such a simple word, it is quite expressive and gets to the heart of what time is like when we just do a little of this and a little of that. My Mom used to use the expression "putter around", which I think basically means the same thing. Hehehe, I think porch sittin' and piddling deserve to be elevated to a new art form. and we who do those two things so well, need to stand by our quality of life actions!!
I got out my porch decorations this weekend and despite the 90+ degree days, I am purposely getting out there early in the am and after supper to enjoy the birds and read.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  1:18:32 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking, though maybe not so random but I was thinking about how just getting something different done has really lifted my spirits.
I went and got my hair trimmed and had her cut bangs. I was trying to let all my hair grow out but I feel so much better when I have something framing my face.

I have been piddling other than that.

Winnie,
I too heard puttering around from my mom. But she always made it sound bad as if we were being lazy. LOL.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2018 :  5:46:37 PM  Show Profile
I am laughing at myself, I use piddle all the time esp., with my husband when that he ask what have I been doing. I got it from my grandmother, when asked what did she do that week, she would always say piddled with this or that. Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2018 :  6:32:20 PM  Show Profile

I love the way people use different expressions...Usually tells a lot about the language their parents and grandparents used...

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  1:34:34 PM  Show Profile
With the approaching hurricane I'm been thinking about why people live in places where there are dangers - hurricanes - earthquakes - floods - tornados - wild fires - and the list goes on and on.

Heard from a young couple who live in the mountains in NC - they are expecting mudslides and heavy rain because of the hurricane. I thought who would live where there's mudslides. The thought of tons of earth and rocks coming down on roads or houses is terrifying to me. But I live in TX where we have droughts, tornados, floods, ice storms, and grass fires. We endure the terrifying to live where we were raised or where we want to be. So we pray for those in harm's way and I know our time in the path of nature's wrath is coming.

Go to Top of Page

Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  7:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
Yes praying the hurricane is not too severe!
My husband and I say piddle all the time! But every so often we hear someone say something we haven't heard in years! And we both get happy! :o)
Today I commented on a young man's blog and called him "kid". My mom and her best friend called each other and their friends "kid" all the time. We even heard it in movies growing up. I hope this young man didn't think I was insulting him. We used it as an endearment.

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  12:59:28 PM  Show Profile
I have been watching and praying for all of those in the path of Hurricane Florence. It has potential to do much damage to our coastlines in SC and NC. Hurricanes are scary when they are bearing down close to where you live. I am sure many are worried about their homes and communities. It is now about to start making landfall so I hope people are gotten out of harm's way.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2681 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2681 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2018 :  10:38:58 AM  Show Profile
My mother still says she's puttering around when I call! Love that! I think I usually say I'm dinking around, I believe I got that from an old friend of mine and it stuck! I loved hearing supper was ready as I was growing up, I find myself calling it dinner w/ my boys, funny how some things stick and others done. Guess that is part of the process of finding ourselves!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2018 :  11:23:32 AM  Show Profile
today, I am thinking about how Fall's arrival is celebrated by many people on many levels. For some, it means that Winter draws closer, but even then, it is hard not to enjoy the beautiful foliage, big orange pumpkins, and favorites like apple and pumpkin pie making their way into the home menu again. Here in the South, Fall comes slowly and every so quietly. We do not get the weather changes that the northern states experience until late November or even early December. However, the season of Fall unrolls as soon as Labor Day is over, most children are back in school, football season launches, and northern harvests of apples, pumpkins, decorative gourds and Halloween decorations begin to fill our stores. This change, I think, brings new energy and it reminds me of how "For everything, there is a Season." The seasons give us a chance to start fresh, change things up for awhile, and enjoy the sights and sounds and flavors that only that particular season can bring.

What is it about Fall that inspires you? What parts of Fall do you like the best?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2018 :  11:44:57 AM  Show Profile
April - I'm a dinker too! LOL!!! I'm always dinking around with something :)

I can't even imagine what it's like to live without all four separate seasons. For me I look forward to the chilly mornings in fall where I have to bundle up in a thick sweatshirt and maybe even a hat to start morning milking. I love the desire for a warm drink - tea, cocoa, cider too. The colors and smells are always nice too. I also like the feeling of abundance I guess you could say - the vegetables and fruit are canned or frozen, the crops are being harvested, the calves are almost all born, etc. Fall is a time to appreciate what summer gave and get ready to hunker down for winter. I like winter too so I don't feel the dread that some do with fall. I'm also planning out Christmas gifts to make :) The only thing that I don't enjoy is that it's darker earlier and earlier every day.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2018 :  1:10:20 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I am with you on the four seasons and also the not like the days being darker earlier and earlier.
I love Fall best of all. The cool mornings and evenings. The tangy smell in the air from wood smoke and leaves.
We are planning a trip back home to the north next weekend and I am looking forward to the colors that we do not yet have here. It is my most favorite time of year there.
Tomorrow I am heading over to get apples. I have needed the sunshine we are getting today and possibly tomorrow. It has been very depressing weather the last two weeks here.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2018 :  4:29:48 PM  Show Profile
ok, it's true, words can mean different things in different regions,, for me, 'piddling'.. means wetting your panties,, ex: "I laughed so hard, that I piddled my panties".. lol! oops! heeheehee!

As for life,,, I am to young to care and to old to worry... :>)

I am grateful for each day, no mater what challenge it brings... yes, I cry, yes, I get twitterpaited and yes I get selfish,, but at the end of the day,,, I give Thanx...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2018 :  1:48:07 PM  Show Profile
Why do you feel so hopeful in June and then by the end of the summer you are beat down and hoping for frost. The beauty of June is forgotten by the end of the summer when all is ratty---yet every year that hope of perfect crops is there. I can't wait for the grass to stop growing and yet freshly mown grass will smell so good in the spring. I guess that is the joy of the seasons.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2018 :  2:04:06 PM  Show Profile
Barbara I know what you are talking about. By the end of summer I am so tired of watering I start weeding out the weak plants that are just hanging on from the brutal Texas heat. Now the only plants I have left whether in containers, raised beds, or the ground are the ones I cover with leaves so they can winter over.

Seasons in our gardens are a snapshot of life - We dream and rest in the winter - work during the spring and summer months - recoup in the fall and then it's time to dream and rest in the winter. The cycle is unbroken - life and our gardens go on.

I do like the way fall breathes new life into me - it's a shame I can't bottle a bit of fall in a mason jar for next summer.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2018 :  09:28:49 AM  Show Profile
Watching As Time Goes By---I ordered it because you said it was good and I kept it until Christmas. It is great and my husband loves it too. Thanks for the tip.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Random Thoughts Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page