YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  07:21:50 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, dress rules were alive and well growing up in Texas in the 1950s. No tennis shoes in school except for the high tops we wore in PE. Not to mention those hideous white gym suits. Don't remember anymore dress rules for school because society as a whole enforced those rules.

Hat, gloves, and nylons for Sunday church. All leather goods had to match.

Building on the discussion on dress rules I have a theory that when the way we dressed relaxed so did the use of manners for a large population of society. Sweat suits in manners out. I find that rule holds true most of the time. The neater in dress the person the more likely their manners are good too.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  09:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Ladies---I so remember those old rules about white shoes and clothes---so true and I think no white clothes until after Memorial Day in the spring. Yes---purse and shoes had to match. I am so glad those days are over. But I think people are too relaxed now and sloppy looking. I always look nice when I go out and I always get compliments. I do have very good manners and I can honestly say I have never seen such rude people in my life as you meet these days. All we can do is be polite ourselves. I am multi-tasking today. Cooking pasta and cleaning the decks and I will have to stain all evening and also tomorrow. Another day or two on the top deck and I'll be done. Have fun ladies and think of me slaving away and how happy I'll be camping in my cabin tonight. Life do get tedious---but there is always fun when the work is done---although it never is done---is it? I so hated dress rules and I have a pic of me in high school wearing boys tennis shoes with an evening dress---now that is in magazines. I love the new way of dress as long as it looks great and rocks.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  11:56:46 AM  Show Profile
Ladies---don't worry about me---I'm rockin out to Elvis and having a big time while my husband mows the yard and I stain the decks. LOL!

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  1:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Ladies I got tired of Elvis and listened to Willie and Waylon awhile. Now I'm into 70's soul. Love it all! As a random thought---what floats your boat in the music world.///I love all music and listen to a wide scope of it. Come on ladies---open up and tell us your music loves.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  2:12:39 PM  Show Profile
Country & Western preferably before 2000.
1950s Rock & Roll
Blues - Jazz - Irish Folk Songs

This time of year I start missing shadows on the land. I have plenty of shade in the back yard because of the giant oak tree but all of the shadows are slowly but surely disappearing. By late July shadows cast by electrical poles, pine trees, and the list goes on and on are not to be seen until the sun goes down than shadows out of the west creep across the land. Oh, how I miss the season of long shadows and the cool breeze that blows out of the north across the Red River into Texas. The longest shadows are in the winter months - maybe that's why after fall winter is my favorite month.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  3:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Sara---I love country and western---but like you not the new stuff. I don't know where the Red River is. Did you grow up there? I have been through Texas--Dallas and Down to El Paso. I thought Texas was beautiful. I love all kinds of music from hymns to country to rock and roll. God Bless you Sara! I think you are such a cool person.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  3:33:31 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Barbara. I've been called many things but never cool.

I was born in Dallas and now live in Paris which is appox 30 miles south of the Red River which borders northern Texas and southern Oklahoma. Dallas is over a hundred miles south and west of Paris. Paris is in northeast Texas.

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  6:58:28 PM  Show Profile
I also remember dress code for seasons, but more than that I remember our school dress code. Girls skirts/dresses not over 4 inches over knees, no pants of any kind, no heels or sandals, and we wore ugly blue one piece gym suits that bloomed out at the thighs to give us that extra saddle bag look. This was late early 70's, then in 73 we were aloud to wear slacks, no jeans, except on the last day of school, then we could wear jeans, and our dress length got shortened to 6 inches above knees. I went to a small country school. Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  05:47:51 AM  Show Profile
This sounds just like our high school. No pants until 1972 and then they had to be worn with a tunic top. By 1974 we were allowed to wear jeans and the skirts got very short. I remember a few brave girls who wore them so short that their panties showed and they got sent home. It was quite shocking---even to me---ha,ha.

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  07:37:48 AM  Show Profile
I enjoy listening to smooth jazz, especially Keiko Matsui. I also like 70s and 80s rock. My favorite tune to do chores to is Bossa Nova Soul (Austin Powers theme song).
In middle school I got my sister's gym outfit. I was able to pull it down over my knees!

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  1:18:19 PM  Show Profile
I am enjoying all of these stories of clothing dos and don'ts!! I was thinking that the rules were also in place because we all had many fewer clothes and shoes than by today's standards. I am wondering that If there was a chance that a garment might fit another season, it made sense to put it up until then so it would not get worn out too early? Or maybe social mores were just more important and a way to order our lives back then? I am not sure and maybe it is just a trend that society no longer felt was important or even reasonable. I have to say those one piece gym outfits were so UGLY!!!

I still enjoy music from different past eras. Classical music is one of my favorites along with jazz folk music, and many of the pop singers from my youth. I loved the Beatles and still do!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  2:02:40 PM  Show Profile
There was an order on our lives imposed by social norms. That order is long gone replaced by anything goes. I like to wear my jeans but I also like to dress-up. With the loss of social norms we also loss the sense of balance in our lives. I want to be an individual but I also want the sense of belonging to community, a social group - I believe in all of us is the longing to be a member of a clan. Too deep thinking for a hot summer afternoon so I'm off to watch The Five and drink something wet & cold.

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  4:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I know I got a new dress for Easter, and new shoes if money allowed. I was only allowed to wear them to church, or special events. In the fall I got three new outfits for school and shoes if needed, they were for church also. Mom made sure we put our good spring and summer cloths up when school started.
I have to tell this story, when I was about 4 years old, I was staying with my grandmother. She bought me a pair of black patent leather shoes, I fussed until she let me wear them. I was suppose to stay on the porch, well as you can guess that did not happen. I was so taken with my new shoes and the sound they made when I walked that I walked all the way to the end of the street just watching my shoes, even showing them off to the neighbor. Boy did I get in trouble. Loved them shoes. Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  4:31:47 PM  Show Profile
Karla I remember patent shoes. On Sunday mornings we polished them with leftover buttered biscuits. Don't laugh it really works.

Mother ordered our shoes once a year from the Sears catalog. I still like getting things in the mail. In fact I order all my shoes now from QVC so I guess things haven't change for everything.

Edited by - YellowRose on Jun 15 2018 4:34:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  6:32:23 PM  Show Profile
I had a pair of patent leather shoes when I was a young gal as well, maybe 5th or 6th grade or so, my family and friends of the family all went camping together that summer, I had tucked my patent leather shoes in my bag with out my mother knowing and wore them the whole camping trip, in the dirt and all. Needless to say, they were not very practical in the rock and dirt and provided zero traction when playing and running, but they sure were pretty! I still receive a hard time about that every once in a great while! And Karla, I too, would receive a new pretty little dress every Easter, I always looked forward to that and dressing up to celebrate Jesus. I always felt so fancy!! Good memories!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  6:35:38 PM  Show Profile
My mom used to sew our dresses up to elementary school. I remember the green & blue dress with floppy "pancake" cuffs and an orange with pink polka dot jumper that had short legs and short sleeves.
I remember we watched much less tv then, and we played at our friends' homes or explored paths by the river. We lived in a small town so my mom didn't worry about us.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2018 :  10:04:22 PM  Show Profile
orChildren---I have been camping in the woods for days and loving it so much that when we went into town today I felt so strange! But yes Winnie I do feel that we put our clothes away to preserve them---I would always get my sister's winter clothes. And we would pass what was good on to our cousins and them to us---always great fun to see what people had given us. As a new thought have any of you had bad things just happen at once.??? My little dog bit another little dog and that cost us 250.00, I slid over the hill to avoid a deer and totaled our older truck, my husband got a flat tire on the way to work, our hot water heater broke, The storm dorm got broke by wind beating it back and forth. And heavy rain washed our road out. But I keep positive---as and OLD friend says It all happens at once or nothing at all---any thoughts or is it just me and all the bad comes at once?

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  01:06:25 AM  Show Profile
Old folks used to say trouble comes in threes. If I don't watch myself I catch myself saying it too. There does seem to be rough spots when life piles it on. Don't know why it happens but I always make it through and things level off again.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2018 :  11:42:48 AM  Show Profile
A silly little thought just ran through my mind. Does a woman leave her imprint on a house or does the house determine how she lives in it?

I think it's 60% to 40% in the woman's favor. Haven't explored this subject but for me I think I got the percentage about right give or take a percent here and there.

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2018 :  05:00:47 AM  Show Profile
From our experience moving into houses I'd say it's a little of both. Although the house has the bones and outline, a woman adds color and accessories to it. A bedroom that used to be a child's is now a craft room retreat.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2018 :  10:44:43 AM  Show Profile
I think a woman is almost 100% of the house---because even a shack can be made cozy and inviting by how you decorate it. And a mansion can be ugly and hideous if decorated wrong. I always managed to make a pretty house anywhere I lived regardless of the homes quality.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2018 :  11:22:58 AM  Show Profile
Barbara I understand where you are coming from but I believe houses have a personality unique unto themselves. Some are happy - others sad. Some are born in misery while others from the moment the first nail is driven are filled with hope. I have lived in both kinds of houses and though I believe by our choices we make our own lives I also know when a house is sad and dark it's a harder fight to find joy and peace there. I am now in a happy and peaceful house and I work everyday to build on that.

I don't know why it is but it's harder to bring light to dark places than darkness to places of light. Darkness vs light - peace vs chaos - to some degree it is always a struggle. It's a choice we have to make over and over again - some big others little but it's always there and how we choose determines how we live our lives.

I'm taking my philosopher hat off now and getting on with my rat killing. (a old Texas saying)

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2018 :  12:33:55 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmmm, this is an interesting thought to ponder; the personalities of houses. I haven't ever given the house much credit for the vibe that is within it's walls. It seems to me that the owners and the lifestyles that they lead give a place it's personality. However, I haven't lived in a bunch of different houses either which may make a difference. Experience is what shapes our opinions and those whose younger days have place them in different houses and different states have more insight to pull from in their experiences.

A few years back we considered downsizing to a smaller home, but when we looked carefully for a few months, nothing was available within our price range to purchase. So, we decided to stay where we are and enjoy all of the aspects that we have always enjoyed at this location. I am glad that we did! We have been here since 1985 and the house is full of memories of our children and beloved assorted pets.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  08:49:52 AM  Show Profile
Sara---you may be right---this is the only house that has ever beaten me totally. Counting the basement this house is over three thousand square feet---plus an attic and my husband built decks and porches all around it. The laundry is in the basement and has to come up two flights. Plus our cabin shack and barns and pets---one person can"t do it all. So maybe a house does rule. This one has certainly beat me up.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  9:23:33 PM  Show Profile
Let's talk about when God winks at you stories. How many times have you had something happen to you that has to be from God. Not just coincidence but you know that God has helped you or spoken to you. This has happened to me so many times in my life and yes---I believe in angels around us.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Random Thoughts Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page