HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 29 2018 :  07:44:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara..Been out in the dirt and so hot getting our garden in between showers. Still a lot to plant. The pumpkins are going in today or tomorrow and they will be ready before we know it. Summer goes by so fast I enjoy each day. Fall is fun, but messy here in the woods and I also have to put up with hunters going in and out all day. Each season is wonderful and all with pros and cons. Also getting in our firewood is a huge job---but great to be out in the woods and getting free heat, spring works me too hard, summer is hot and in winter we have to worry about getting up out of here. I agree about the peace of morning and evening.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 29 2018 :  08:18:19 AM  Show Profile
Barbara I like hearing about your life in your holler.

Spent an hour ordering food on Amazon Prime Pantry. So many choices and many I don't see where I grocery shop. Found celery seed and pink salt that my store doesn't carry it. Also ordered a flexible water hose from Amazon prime. So nice having it delivered at my door. So far I haven't missed driving at all and do like having a side porch.

When my great niece was here with her four year old triplets Gentry asked me where my car was. I guess he figured since I have a driveway and carport I must have a car. Little ones are so sharp these days. There little minds are always working. Not to mention their busy little hands. My house is not child proof and they went in three different directions touching everything but nothing was broken and great-great Aunt Sara survived. When I say it that way it does make me sound old. At 76 I may be closer to 80 than 70 but in my heart of hearts I'm still that woman of 40.

I'm rambling today so I guess I better get off my laptop and get something done. I have a lot of piddling to do before afternoon tea.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - May 29 2018 :  11:16:39 AM  Show Profile
We haven't had too many warm days yet so I am looking forward to a bit of warmth.

Was thinking today about MaryJane's post about taking time to contemplate and slow down. I don't mind taking things slow but always feel like I have so much to do and it pushes me when I try to relax. Time goes by so fast these days and I always wonder if I will get to the point where things won't always seemed rushed.

Going to go clip my roses and bring some outside inside.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007
FGOTM~7/2013
"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - May 29 2018 :  12:18:35 PM  Show Profile
Denise
I agree with that also. When I try and relax my mind just tends to think of chores non stop.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 31 2018 :  04:47:01 AM  Show Profile
For quite awhile now I have started my mornings with hot Twinging's English Breakfast Tea that I make in a 4 cup measuring cup and I drink from a 16oz styro-foam cup. Good tea and it stays warm. And since I use the measuring cup to put water in my electric tea kettle I save on cleanup. I do from time to time drink Taylor's Scottish Breakfast Tea if I feel like I want/need a stronger tea.

All the while my favorite teapot and cups sit in the china cabinet waiting for me to take them out and fill them with hot tea. If they could talk they would whisper "use us - you're just as special as company - use us and enjoy your morning tea like a lady (FarmGirl) should." So as I sit here drinking my tea from that handy 16oz styro-foam cup and trying my best to listen for gentle whispers telling me to use the teapot and cups more or at least when I sit out on the side porch.

I wonder if anything every whispers to you to up your game and enjoy life more. Styro-foam cup or teacup - both get the job done but the teacup makes it special and when every moment in our day counts shouldn't we make the first ones in the morning special. Like sitting out on a porch I will choose to do it in style and use teapot and cups. If I don't make it for morning tea there's always afternoon iced sweet tea in a pretty glass served from a glass pitcher.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 31 2018 :  06:51:09 AM  Show Profile
Sara, you bring up a very good point here. I find that I am often guilty of not listening to the whispers to up my game and act on my inclinations rather than settle for the routine. I keep asking myself, why is that? Sometimes, I think it is just lazy on my part, but it is also being guilty of just taking the easy route. Just because. No real reason. Often, I take my journal out and I make lists of things to do. Sometimes, I put them directly on my calendar and highlight them. GET started, make a change, do something..anything on your list!!! Do I act? Maybe. Maybe not. I wonder if it has something to do with retirement. When I was working, I seem to accomplish many more projects with my free time and weekends. Now , it seems like days run together and just the routine of living gets done. It makes no sense. One would think that retirement would translate into many more opportunities to do the things I could only dream about having time to do when I worked. What is up with that?

What about other Farmgirl friends here ? Do you experience this sort of disconnect? What are your struggles and solutions? I could use some fresh ideas!! LOL!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 31 2018 :  07:16:28 AM  Show Profile
Winnie before the whisper becomes a shout I put teapot, cup & saucer in vintage cream and red enamel pan with one of my favorite tea towels folded to fit. All ready for tomorrow's morning tea. It's on kitchen counter where I prepare morning tea so there will be no reason for me not to do it. BTW vintage enamel pans make great trays.

Sometimes to get more out of life we have to plan & prep for it or it never gets done. Life lived on purpose.

Edited to add: What would be worse than the whisper becoming a shout would be for the whisper to fall silent. I wonder how many whispers I have let slip by me only to be never heard from again.

Edited by - YellowRose on May 31 2018 07:50:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - May 31 2018 :  10:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Winnie and Sara and all -

You have all hit the nail on the head. I make lists and then don't do things on them. I have big plans and things seem to not get done. There is always so much to do, I feel I can't relax. And yet, I get on my laptop and on Pinterest or Facebook or ??? and get sidetracked and am there for sometimes for hours.

One big decision - and it may take a while - since Ed and I just got married in December, we have 2 properties. Mine is a 116 year old farmhouse on 12.5 acres of black adobe soil that gets super muddy when it rains. I can gain 10+ pounds a leg walking out to the barn in the rain. His house is about 25+ years old and needs LOTS of work. The huge garage is jam packed with all kinds of man things. His property is on 10 acres of sandy soil - much nicer when it rains. We like his land and my house. We have talked about building another house on his property and also buying another house. Way too much to think about for two 70 year olds who get sidetracked. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 31 2018 :  2:19:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Linda how fun to have such great choices. Like they say "location - location". I would start there and explore your options. Whatever you and Ed decide will be the right answer for many happy decades to come.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  02:53:57 AM  Show Profile
I always use cups and real dishes so therefore I wash dishes all day long. You are right real cups just feel better. I never get anything done but chores because there is always an animal wanting attention and I have to pet them. With seven dogs and six cats that is a lot of petting. My little pug follows me every where I go and when I go outside the others go where I go, if I sit down there is a cat in my lap. I also have to talk to the donkey and brush him so that he doesn't get lonesome. And yes I pet the goats, the rabbit and even the chickens are so tame that you can pick them up. When I work outside I always have an audience of cats and dogs. Fun---but tiring---sometimes I go in my guest room just to feel peaceful for a little while. I could do more things, but I like the slow relaxing way and that way even chores can be fun. Although a lot of times I am forced to fly around here doing things. I think we are all just slowing down and enjoying it.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  03:06:09 AM  Show Profile
Linda---the old farmhouse we left to come here would be 116 years old now too. I grew up there and we lived in it for twenty years. It broke my heart to leave it, but we had to so that we could come here. It got torn down about five years ago and a horrid UGLY new house built. I have to go by it to go to town and I just can't look at it---too sad. So I know it is hard and confusing for you to choose---good luck to you in your choice.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  11:22:55 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I agree that intentional planning is what makes things happen. Your example of setting up the tea the night before is the easiest way to direct the outcome and get what you want.

Linda, oh my, you do have some tough choices! I know it is hard when there is not one choice that stands out over the other. Can you move the old house to the other land, or is it too big to do that? It sounds like you have some money costs no matter which direction you go, so I guess it boils down to where your investment will have the best return.

Barbara, I can understand completely how difficult it must have been to leave your 116 year old farmhouse. They just don't make them like that anymore and they are such treasures!

Today, I am musing over and wondering how I want to set up my summer reading list. I keep a list of recommended books from friends and then I have some I need to finish first. As a child, I remember we always left the school year with a list of books to read over the Summer. It was a good assignment, I think. Those summer lists are the way I read many of the classics that I might not have ever chosen on my own. The past few years, I have found an interest in life at the turn of the 20th Century. So much happened in the first 50 years in technology, medicine, science, education, civil rights, and much more. My parents were born in 1902 and 1914 and I find myself fascinated at what life was really like back then. Sadly, they have long passed away so instead of asking them questions, I can read more and learn that way. Does anyone else make themselves a summer reading list? I love to read after dinner on my porch before the sun goes down and it is getting to be a bit cooler.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  12:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Winnie I made my morning tea in the teapot and took it to the side porch but as soon as I sat down to enjoy my first cup I noticed fallen twigs in the little side yard just feet from my chair. Today was trash pickup and I already had a box of twigs set out so I put down my cup and picked up twigs. When that was done I scolded myself for not letting the twigs wait. I had hours before the box of twigs would be picked up but less than half an hour before it started to heat up and I would have to go inside. It is hard to just sit when there are chores to do. Gotta do a better job of sometimes letting chores go so I can fully enjoy a simple pleasure.

Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  12:29:07 PM  Show Profile
Such a good post. Now we need a thread that says: Motivation To Get Her Done!

My random thoughts each day are concerning food. I have such a limited diet that I get to the point of saying: Do I have to eat today. Can't I just skip it. But, then my little 115 pound body says: Not unless you want to die! Remember, you love life so stop belly aching and go to the kitchen and eat what you can and be thankful!

We all need to be motivated and reminded to do the things that matter most to us. I'm glad to see after reading all of these posts that we are all very much alike. I'm 55 years young as I like to say and would love to do more if I had the energy. It's just my husband and I now and we are wanting to sell and move to the country.

I want to be a little further North West in the state. Ideally, I would love to be out of Florida but with my Lyme disease I can't just pull up stakes and move any old place. I finally found an excellent doctor and he is helping me so much. So, where ever we move to it has to be within an hour drive to his office.

I have several planners that I write my to-do's in weekly. One for personal goals. One for business. The other for milestone happenings. The only thing that helps me get them done is my dear farm girl friend Joanna. We are on an Etsy team together and she is the Captain and motivator for us to Get Her Done! each week. Without her help I think I would not get very much done in my business or personal life. So, Thank You! My dear Friend Joanna!

I threw out all my old dishes and took the vintage ones out of the china cabinet a year ago and now use them for my every day dishes. I use my crystal glasses to drink my protein shake I make every morning. I use another crystal mug to take my afternoon medicine. I too like many of you said: " Why just keep them for special occasions. Get them out and use them every day."

We are about to go room by room and down size big time. We are moving from a 1500 sq. ft. home to a 1000 or less manufactured home on 2 acres of land. I love the peace and quiet and not all the hustle and bustle you face when you get out on the road to shop or go to your appointments. Our neighborhood is quiet but I just want out of Deltona and into the country. I know life will be different in the new place and will come with it's own sounds. I hope those of animals and not humans.

I"d love to be on the water somewhere. Give me nature and water and I will be a happy camper!

I've thought about all the rain we get and how the roads could get pretty muddy if they are not paved. Then I thought about the driveway to our house will be dirt and that could get flooded. So, I thought we should have a gravel driveway.

Then I thought maybe dig a pond so the water could run into it and not flood the property. I thought I might need a pair of those rain boots the farm girls wear. A rain jacket etc...

What else will I need to think about and prepare for to live in the country? I'd love your tips.

Farmgirl sister #308
Wallets & Travel Accessories, Tea Wallets, and Hankie Envelopes
http://www.marketsofsunshine.com/p/member-classifieds.html

Card Making Circle of Friends
www.marshajaramillo.stampinup.net
Tea Lover's
www.tealightfultea.net/sweetretreats
FGOM 5/2018
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  3:37:03 PM  Show Profile
Marsha, you will want a porch on your house and rocking chairs to enjoy the peace & quiet. You will also need bird feeders to attract birds and a clothesline for fresh smelling clothes. I moved from Royal Palm Beach to northern Kentucky, and would not move back. Hope your doctor can help you get well.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  3:52:27 PM  Show Profile
Those are great tips Vanessa and right up my alley. I have bird feeders as well as flowers to attract bees, butterflies and hummingbirds. A clothes line would be great on the days it doesn't rain. *Sighs with delight* A porch is a must on the front and back. A wrap around would be ideal. Rocking chairs and a chase lounge chair for nap times.

Thanks!

Farmgirl sister #308
Wallets & Travel Accessories, Tea Wallets, and Hankie Envelopes
http://www.marketsofsunshine.com/p/member-classifieds.html

Card Making Circle of Friends
www.marshajaramillo.stampinup.net
Tea Lover's
www.tealightfultea.net/sweetretreats
FGOM 5/2018
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2018 :  04:19:39 AM  Show Profile
In the spirit of living in the moment, I am drinking my French tea in my English teacup and eating grapes from my Polish bowl. The sun is up but the most still hides the view in the distance.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2018 :  04:44:10 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa enjoy your feast around the world. I used my tea set yesterday and put it up until cooler weather. We're under a heat alert - will be in the high 90s - fills like 105 - so I am having morning iced tea in my vintage tea glass with frosted grape design and gold rim. In the 1940s-50s Griffin Tea gave them away along with the heavy goblets and pitchers. In my 40s I collected whole sets of the frosted grape design. Over the years I have given most of it away. I have six tea glasses, 2 small pitchers, ice bowl, and sugar & creamer left.

For you like me who deal with a chronic auto-immune disease when the weather heats up save your hot drinks for cooler weather and drink only cool/iced drinks. Also goes for foods too. The idea is to keep our insides cool. It helps me to deal with MS fatigue. I eat a lot of sandwiches in the hot months.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2018 :  05:36:50 AM  Show Profile
Dear sweet Sara---sit there and enjoy your tea. Those twigs can't get up and walk away and if you forget they will still be there for you to put in the trash next week. Relax and enjoy. A reading list would be a good idea. I am bad to pick out several to read at once and then I don't finish any of them. Read one and cross it off your list. So little time to read here in the summer---we go until dark and I am so tired I can hardly stand up. Marsha---life is nice in the country. It is harder. Yes---you will need rain boots and a pair of mud boots or shoes you don't care to ruin. There are more insects to bother you. You also have to learn to stock up on things if you are not really close to town. And you have to expect the unexpected---such as floods. I call what Sara did setting out her teacup baby steps. Set your project out where you have to look at it and then work on it as you can. Every little step toward your goal helps. This is one of my ways of making myself start something---even if it is just painting something or whatever--you will do it or get sick of looking at it. I always try to live in the moment and enjoy the beauty in each day---like dogs and children do.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2018 :  10:58:59 AM  Show Profile
I am always inspired here at MJF at all of the Farmgirl wisdom and positive outlook! This is a great forum to meet wonderful people that you would never have the opportunity to get to know. When I think back over the years that I have been here, I can say that my life has been blessed and enriched by many, many Farmgirls of all ages. I love jumping on the site and hearing what others are doing or thinking. it is always fun and interesting. Isn't it amazing how MaryJane sort of put this out there and it has grown over the years? I love it when people come back after being gone for years too!.. It speaks to how powerful it is to find a community with women from all over that can share ideas, provide support, and celebrate together. Between all of us here, there is a lot of great ideas, common sense, compassion, and humor. I love it!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2018 :  12:12:12 PM  Show Profile
Winnie well said. You voiced how I feel too. MJF is a place - I don't think of it as a chat room but an actual place - a farm out there in the countryside where we come to visit, talk, share, and be ourselves. Thanks MaryJane for welcoming us into your dream.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  05:32:10 AM  Show Profile
Many of my random thoughts are just little bits of nonsense. Take for instance what ran through my head as I was working a crossword puzzle last night. The word was alfresco and I know no one who uses that word. I know I sure don't - I eat my lunch outside. Plain simple Texas talk. The only person I can imagine actually using alfresco in conversation is Hyacinth who is a character on British comedy "Keeping up Appearances" that I watch on PBS. For you who have not had the joy of watching this delightful show Hyacinth thinks of herself as being above her social circle. She puts on airs, uses high fluting words and more time than not she uses them in the wrong context. Hyacinth would definitely use alfresco and trying to do it would get it all wrong. That's my little bit of random thought nonsense for this morning. Y 'all have a good day and if you have a mind to have your lunch alfresco today.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  07:11:00 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I think many of us have random thoughts that don't amount to anything other than our own musings about this or that. However, I find it interesting to read what those musings are from others because often, I have the same thoughts. It does allow , sometimes, for a topic to emerge that is worth talking more about. So, I think that it is good to bring up curiosities and see what the community has to share.

As to the alfresco idea, I too always associate that with Italy or Italian restaurants. But for sure, just eating outside on the porch is a perfect example of alfresco and one I like to do when it is not so humid.

I want to elaborate on the idea that MJF is really more than just an online Chatroom. For me, it is this "place", specifically this farm, where I can visit and exchange ideas with others. I find MJF to be a place where we can talk about many topics that involve everyday life and glean different insights and validate some of our own. It feels more like a neighborhood and the distance between us seems to fade. I find that reassuring. Our lives have many pockets of friends and communities, but MJF fills a niche that nothing else can. There is no denying that a Farmgirl heart is beautiful thing, And it is all dressed in a vintage apron!! LOL!! Who can argue that one??LOL!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  07:29:07 AM  Show Profile
I love Keeping Up Appearances! Especially when she says" And room for a pony." we ordered the whole set and we have watched them several times. We've been into British comedys since the 70's. Love so many of them and have a good collection of them. So glad to know someone who likes them too.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  07:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I also watch "Keeping up appearances" and I also like "As Time Goes By" on PBS. Hyacinth is sure a character. I didn't care for the "Young Hyacinth" show that they showed for a while.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Random Thoughts Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page