Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 MaryJane's Birdie Shower Project!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic MaryJane's Birdie Shower Project!! Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 15 2018 :  12:27:32 PM  Show Profile
I just had to try MaryJane's Birdie Shower Project from her April-May magazine on pages 84-85. Essentially, what you do is provide nesting materials that birds like to use in nest building.

On our recent trip to Italy, I saw this darling bird house and brought it home.

It has been up since our return April 16. Today, while sitting out on our porch, my husband and I saw a Carolina Wren take pine needles into the house!! They are building a nest!!!!!! It began to pour rain and thunder so I ran inside and pulled out MJF and started making my bird nest bag for my wrens to use if they wish. Page 84 lists many useful and favorite items that birds like to build a nest. So, I gathered the following ingredients for mine: cotton string, wool fleece, 100% wool yarn strings, jute strings, regular ray, and raffia pieces. Then I took a net bag, that was housing plastic Easter eggs, and put all the ingredients inside and tied both ends with a string. as suggested, I then took a crochet hook and pulled out items for easy access.

It has just about stopped raining and I have a perfect view from my kitchen sink window . I will update you on if I see the Wrens using some of my nest ingredients.

This was such an easy and fun project and I would suggest anyone to give it a try!! MaryJane describes the project as an actual party you could host where everyone brings nest materials to share and goes home with a bag for their yard. But if you have children, they would enjoy this fun project too. I had a blast doing it!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - May 15 2018 :  3:55:26 PM  Show Profile
What a great experience Winnie. Thanks for sharing your unique bird house from Italy.

Farmgirl sister #308
Wallets & Travel Accessories, Tea Wallets, and Hankie Envelopes
http://www.marketsofsunshine.com/p/member-classifieds.html

Card Making Circle of Friends
www.marshajaramillo.stampinup.net
Tea Lover's
www.tealightfultea.net/sweetretreats
FGOM 5/2018
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - May 15 2018 :  8:28:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh Winnie! I loved the April/May issue! I've been putting out safe nesting materials for years now! Carrying on the tradition of my parents! But I loved her article and learned some new 'tricks ' I cant wait to try!! How fun would it be to make a party out of the event?? I cherish those moments watching from the window and seeing our birds scurry to grab some coconut straw and head to their nesting areas!!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  09:21:46 AM  Show Profile
We had an iron planter, very decorative hanging from a hook in our patio. Squirrels and finches came this spring to empty it of its straw base. I was delighted to see it all disappear! Its always fun to help out.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Back Door Farm Girls Chapter
http://vintagegathering.blogspot.com
Love The People God Gave You Because He Will Need Them Back Someday.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  10:36:41 AM  Show Profile
i have not done this for a few years, i will have to get one made. happy bird watching.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic MaryJane's Birdie Shower Project!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page