HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  05:31:29 AM  Show Profile
How many of you have read The Egg And I? It's a 1945 book by Betty MacDonald. It is one of the funniest books about farm life that I have ever read. When I go to book sales and I see one I always buy it to share. I have two vintage copies of it and I would like to give them away so that others may enjoy it. The first two people that tell me they would like to have one---I will mail it to them. Anyone who has read it---please comment if you enjoyed reading it as much as I did. It was also made into a movie with Claudette Colbert.

You Might Be a Redneck If---you've transported a goat in an economy car.---Jeff Foxworthy

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  07:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds interesting. I would love to read it. Then I will pass it on. Sending an email.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  07:42:04 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Barbara. I have one precious "copy," literally. I loved it so much when I found it many years ago on someone else's bookshelf that I made a copy for myself. Eventually, I, too, found a real copy in a used bookstore. Mine was inscribed in New York in 1946.

And here's the spine of mine.

What a lovely gift for you to give!

As an aside, I have an indoor hibiscus plant that was a gift and it has taken over my living room, providing happy little flowers all year round. Here's a branch that has grown over onto my ottoman onto a stack of grandgirl books I keep on hand.

Next time you're looking for a treasure to bring home, consider a hibiscus. Cuttings root easily in water. More gifts!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  07:46:18 AM  Show Profile
It sounds SO DELIGHTFUL and I am always ready for a good book to read and share!! I will have to keep an eye out for it our search online!! MaryJane that is a spectacular find!! You books look in perfect condition! I read the barn dance SO LONG AGO!!! I love it!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro

Edited by - suny58 on Apr 08 2018 07:58:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  07:56:41 AM  Show Profile
How about that!! I did a search for the book in Abes books and in my search the animated movie came up also! Sounds so funny! It was only 3 dollars you rent but I'd rather read it and pass it on! I know a few friends and acquaintance's who would love it!Thank you again Barbara for sharing!!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  08:15:34 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Mary Jane -

thank you. I will be on the lookout for a hibiscus plant. Looking forward to the book.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  08:33:22 AM  Show Profile
Linda---I have your address written down and I will get the book in the mail tomorrow or Tuesday. That leaves one more book. I think I have another one at my cabin. I will check and see and I will let you all know if there is a third one.

You Might Be a Redneck If---you've transported a goat in an economy car.---Jeff Foxworthy
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  08:41:24 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jane---I will get a hibiscus. I did not know that you could grow them indoors. I thought they were hard to grow. I have always thought they were beautiful, so I will definitely try one.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  09:15:46 AM  Show Profile
Barbara? I'd love it please? I did a quick search. Not easy to find. Thank you much!!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  10:03:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dianna. Send me your address and I will get it out to you with Linda's. You will love it. I walked up to my cabin and I found a third one---so there's one left. This one is not in as good a shape as the first two, but it is ok.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  10:37:01 AM  Show Profile
You are sooo sweet Barbara! I Thbank you so much! I can't wait to read it and I know exactly who to pass it onto! Ill send you postage! Have a blessed day!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  11:12:45 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I, too, will send you postage, Barbara. I can't wait to read it. And I, too, know to whom I will pass it on.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6392 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6392 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  11:33:32 AM  Show Profile
I have a copy of this fabulous book, if I can find it I will more than happy to lend it to anyone who wants to read it.

Hugs,
Deborah (My birth name, just found out) I love this name!
Blessed in Colorado
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018

“My altars are My Mountains and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We're flexible like that!

http://shopus.longaberger.com/mountainwingslongabergerbaskets
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2018 :  06:33:59 AM  Show Profile
Dianna---I did not receive an email from you with your address. I sent you an email a little while ago asking for it. Does anyone want the third book?

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2018 :  07:05:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi Barbara! Busy this morning taking Sara to the Dr! Ill reply as soon as I stop, k?? I did send one via MJ but ill send it again! Sorry

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2018 :  11:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Linda and Diana---I got the books in the mail this morning. Hope they arrive safely. Please don't send postage---I am happy to mail them to you.

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2018 :  06:33:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Barbara, I have seen the movie, The Egg and I, it is one of my top ten all time favorite movies. I have it recorded, somewhere. It was an introduction to Ma and Pa Kettle, and how I loved those movies. Time for me to go and watch it, again. Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2018 :  07:45:13 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so very much Barbara!Will let you know when it arrives! I am sure I will enjoy it with a good cup of tea!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2018 :  09:01:56 AM  Show Profile
I found a copy from 1945 on thriftbooks.com for 3.79. Can't wait to read it. I've seen the movie with Fred McMurray and Claudette Colbert. Look forward to seeing how close the movie was to the book. I always enjoy watching it and I think it is fun that Ma and Pa Kettle were introduced to us in that movie. We love their fun antics!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007
FGOTM~7/2013

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2018 :  2:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I received my copy today. Can't wait to start reading it. Thank you, Barbara.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2018 :  06:11:55 AM  Show Profile
I would LOVE to read that book if anyone has an extra to share! Sounds great!

Farmgirl Sister # 241
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2018 :  08:23:41 AM  Show Profile
Cecily--- I still have a third copy to give away of The Egg And I. I will gladly mail it to you. Email your address and I will get it in the mail to you. It is such a funny book. I have read it several times.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2018 :  10:20:42 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, I can NOT thank you enough again! I am enjoying and savoring each page! It is so refreshing reading a GOOD, clean humored book again!!! HUGS!!!!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2018 :  3:52:06 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Barbara!!!! Emailing you now!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 241
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2018 :  4:34:17 PM  Show Profile
Cecily---just clicked on and saw your message. Will get it out to you on Monday when I go to the PO. Hope you will love it as much as Mary Jane and I do.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2018 :  08:00:19 AM  Show Profile
Love the movie with Claudette Colbert!!! Never realized there was a book!!! Now I have to be on the lookout!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Egg and I ---1945 book Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page