melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2018 :  3:30:13 PM  Show Profile
I inherited a HUGE lawn bag full of wool yarn several years ago at an estate sale-she was an accomplished weaver. Some of the yarn is from Sweden and other countries across the pond. All earth tones, but I haven't been able to weave with it because it just plain stinks --MOTHBALLS----and right now I have been weaving on my rug loom and not my four harness Kessenich loom, which she used for scarves, runners and such so the yarn was put away in a large plastic lawn bag

Anyone have any ideas how to get the stink out? Do I wash it and line dry it? It's already in twisted hanks (is that the correct wool yarn term?)

I just hate to throw it out and I would consider selling it, but I really can't when it smells like mothballs...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated-

Melody

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2018 :  4:00:12 PM  Show Profile
Sunshine!

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2018 :  2:04:15 PM  Show Profile
Diana is right---hang it out in the sun for two days. If you think it is washable in cold water then you can do so in a mixture of baking soda and white vinegar. I am not sure of the amounts to mix in your water---but this is how my grandmother got moth ball odor out of clothing. After washing you hang it out in the sun for a day or two.

You Might Be a Redneck If---you've transported a goat in an economy car.---Jeff Foxworthy
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Moth Ball Odor Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page